• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Denso alternator

Mr. V

Having read for years about Denso alternators I looked into sourcing one for both an '82 244 Turbo and an '86 740 Turbo.

I found the Denso website, but when I tried to locate one for these cars using their online search bars their site said there aren't any available for either year.

Maybe, maybe not: obviously people manage to make them work for old t-bricks.

Is there not a direct bolt-on alternator, or must I buy one and modify it to fit, and if so what part number and what must be done to modify it to make it fit?

Also, what is the best / least expensive source to buy one from?

Denso alternators are used on late 740 and up to 95 940s. It's kind of random. Whatever parts box got opended at that time the car was built.

There are two versions 80amp for the n/a cars and 100amp for the turbos. They are a direct bolt on to the 85 and newer 240 and for all 740-940 redblocks. To fit them to a 240 turbo or 84 and down 240. You have to get the upper bracket and adjuster setup. It's best to get the updated version that uses a spacer on the bracket and a longer bolt to mount it to the block. The earlier version of the upper bracket would work but the long cylinder section that holds the bushing isn't a good design and puts a lot of side loading on the bracket and bushing causing early failure.

Buy one from someone here. Philski and Redwoodchair usually have some for sale. Or get a used one from a salvage yard and refresh it with new brushes and regulator.

Back