home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #51
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

MMMMMWELP. It's not the crank sensor. Got the new new one in, it started, then it rained the next day, wouldn't start. And the battery died. Jumped it from the XC, but since it was in it's no-start state, I couldn't get it to run and charge. Don't have a trickle charger, battery is old, might just go buy a new battery instead. Good to have a backup anyway.

So I've got money on water related issues. I pulled the kick panel and the ecu's are (edit: not) OBVIOUSLY wet, but I obviously can't guarantee anything without pulling them out. I'm moving on Friday, so this is gonna be a big pain in the ass.

AND THEN THERE WERE TWO (and a half)
2008 XC70 3.2: Stubborn sensor on wheels
1992 M47 240 Wagon: Why did anyone let me have anything this nice?
1990 240 DL: Parts car
1983 242 TIC +M46: Ticket to the 242 Crush Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJenoxX View Post
I have no idea what's going on, but I think I can fit more 8====D in my mouth than 240240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
Mmmmmm curvy girls and cock excess

Last edited by XxJenoxX; 10-03-2018 at 10:43 AM..
XxJenoxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #52
nel621
Board Member

ECU's are wet so obviously water getting in from windshield or wiper motor grommet. Unplug and dry out ecus with hair drier or heat gun? Then try to start again. If it works put some plastic over it to keep it dry. If it doesn't check for green corrosion at the terminals. Worst case is you ecu is rusting from within. Also wonder if your year car had ECU issues as did the 90s with pink label 561s?
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #53
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

Oh sorry, that was supposed to say NOT obviously wet. It was early.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #54
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Fuel pump relay filled with water too? That was the recent issue with my parts storing wagon. The relay had come un-clipped from its little holder and ended up making a nice cup/bowl for the water that trickled down the wiring harness (leaking windshield). The relay was FULL of water, and the contacts had rusted.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #55
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

Nope. It was clipped in place and swapped out when this all started. Nothing is full of water except the floors, that I've found so far.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #56
dl242gt
Can play the blues

I know this may not be related. But I have experienced the coil wire arcing to the body. If you have the horizontal coil the coil wire with it's ninety degree connector goes very close to the body and causes random shorts. My car had this happening. Also if the top of the coil is dirty it will short out the coil wire as well.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #57
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

Hmmm, I'll check that out. Maybe swap to a spare coil wire. Couldn't hurt.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #58
PromiseRing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Fuel pump relay filled with water too? That was the recent issue with my parts storing wagon. The relay had come un-clipped from its little holder and ended up making a nice cup/bowl for the water that trickled down the wiring harness (leaking windshield). The relay was FULL of water, and the contacts had rusted.
When my first 240 wouldn’t start, this was exactly my problem. Fuel pump relay was FULL of water.

If that’s not your issue, have you tried removing the dist cap and rotor and drying it out with a blow dryer or something? I have had 240 no starts from a damp cap and rotor. It’s just a poor design IMO. Even new ones can be 'wet' if it’s humid enough out.

Would you say your issue is directly related to humidity?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you have a no start condition? Not sure if all 3.1 cars prime or not, but you could jump the pump and see if anything changes (probably won’t). My guess is weak or no spark situation if the CPS didn’t change anything. Good to have a new one on there anyway though.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #59
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

I've already jumped the pumps. I can at least hear the main pump run.

Pulled the cap once when it wouldn't start at work and it didn't appear damp. I feel like it is moisture related at this point, but that's a pretty tough thing to tell in this climate.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #60
PromiseRing
Banned

Quote:
I've already jumped the pumps. I can at least hear the main pump run.

Pulled the cap once when it wouldn't start at work and it didn't appear damp. I feel like it is moisture related at this point, but that's a pretty tough thing to tell in this climate.
You won’t always see visible moisture. I have had enough luck by simply thoroughly wiping everything with a dry paper towel.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:15 AM   #61
Otto Mattik
Board Member

Quote:
Has spark.
Jumping the pumps at #4 and #6 produces noise from the main pump.
Unscrewing the cap on the schrader valve at the rail gives me a little fuel.

So I have fuel and spark. No reason why I wouldn't have air. Obviously don't know if I have enough fuel pressure to start yet, but there is absolutely no sign of an attempt to ignite any fuel, and no fuel from the exhaust. So it seems an awful lot like it's getting absolutely no fuel at all.
Seal on compuker connections keeps out most moisture, however not sure with amount you mentioned ? The connectors come off easily enuf (without removing compukers), if inspecting for water issues.

ZVOLV is correct, I guess I thought you had already checked for injector pulse, good luck

Desperate need of elf assistant for interior work - Cash/Beer option $

Last edited by Otto Mattik; 10-08-2018 at 12:57 AM..
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #62
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Do diag! When it's a no start you gotta find out if there is spark and/or injector pulse and go from there. A timing light is a great safe way to check spark. Parts stores sell noid light kits for $15.