home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Indy452
Board Member

Default Wet 745 carpet

We have had almost 7" of rain the past three days here.. My 1990 745 parks in my driveway at about a 15-18% incline, nose up. The rear footwell on the left side literally has water standing. The rest of the footwells are just wet. Car has sunroof but I really don't think thats the culprit. Anyplace I need to look to stop this? Thx..
Indy452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

Windshield is probably leaking.
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history. Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
lverhagen
negahrevl

My guess is the plastic block-off plate in the driver’s side footwell. It’s hidden behind the left side kick panel and is a black plastic ~5” square with rounded corners. The seals go bad over time and allow water running down the inner fender/lower A pillar area to enter the cabin. Dry the area thoroughly and seal around the plate with a silicone adhesive sealant to solve the problem.

Getting out of Volvos for the time being:

7/900 Parts for Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
Restore this thread to stock.
Past Cars:
1994 Volvo 960 Wagon ~183k - parted out and scrapped
1995 Volvo 940 Sedan ~183k - sold
1987 Volvo 740 Sedan ~180k - sold
1989 Volvo 740 Turbo Intercooler Wagon ~159k - sold

Current Cars:
1998 Toyota RAV4 5spd 2wd ~365k - saved from the grave, ultra-daily
2003 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 ~260k - pending stealth camper conversion
lverhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #4
PhysSDK2
Board Member

Probably leak as the others have said. Just to be safe check your coolant level before you drive.
PhysSDK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:35 AM   #5
alschnertz
Enough already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lverhagen View Post
My guess is the plastic block-off plate in the driver’s side footwell. It’s hidden behind the left side kick panel and is a black plastic ~5” square with rounded corners. The seals go bad over time and allow water running down the inner fender/lower A pillar area to enter the cabin. Dry the area thoroughly and seal around the plate with a silicone adhesive sealant to solve the problem.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Bready
board deviant

Sunroof?

That much water is a pretty classic indication that your sunroof drain(s) are clogged.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
Someone said “gavin” three times, and a troll appeared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Keep your minds out of my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centason View Post
Bready is right.

Kalazdar - (3/23/83 to 5/12/03)
MUST READ!!! https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/24...-adds-screwed/
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
white855T
Board Member

When it rains heavy, water does get through the sunroof but you have a leak elsewhere.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
IBlowSeals

Check the corners of the firewall under the hood. I've seen rust holes and leakage to the floor happen from there.
IBlowSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:57 AM   #9
rallydallas
Board Member

So did you find the leak?

I'm having the same problem in my 88 744t Driver side front is soppy/wet, passenger side front is moist. And it hasn't rained in over a week. I'll check the mentioned spots.
rallydallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Quote:
Originally Posted by lverhagen View Post

This is your leak. I just fixed mine. Euro cars had a openable vent here for non AC vehicles.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #11
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

The other thing all 740s need is to reseal the water shield over the blower motor. Remove the windshield cowl (easy) and then use butyl tape to re-seure the black plastic shield which, by now, has fallen off. If not secured, water will get in the blower and the cabin.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
oleseahorse
Board Member

Originally Posted by lverhagen

Good Advice
oleseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #13
rallydallas
Board Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallydallas View Post
So did you find the leak?

I'm having the same problem in my 88 744t Driver side front is soppy/wet, passenger side front is moist. And it hasn't rained in over a week. I'll check the mentioned spots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
This is your leak. I just fixed mine. Euro cars had a openable vent here for non AC vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleseahorse View Post
Originally Posted by lverhagen

Good Advice
So just glop on some sealant around the bottom edge of the plug? I already tried prying it out a bit on the vertical edges and managed to chip that twice. So just add goop then? Around the entirety of it or just the bottom half?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (109.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #14
oleseahorse
Board Member

Goop away
oleseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #15
tintintin
Board Member

The sealant has a much better chance of sealing if the surfaces are clean. Clean the seam area with an old toothbrush, then a damp rag. After it dries, caulk around the seam, then force it in the gap with your finger, like caulking around the bathtub. In fact, I think I used bathtub caulk, which is still holding up after several years, but Redwood Chair probably has better product suggestions.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #16
rallydallas
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
The other thing all 740s need is to reseal the water shield over the blower motor. Remove the windshield cowl (easy) and then use butyl tape to re-seure the black plastic shield which, by now, has fallen off. If not secured, water will get in the blower and the cabin.
Well it rained like mad yesterday and I'm happy to say my driver's side floorpan is now drier than the passenger side! I'm guessing there's no vent on the passenger side since the ECU is there and that maybe this shield is now my remaining problem?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #17
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Progress! Good.

You can just look thru the cowl and see if the black shield is attached or not. Even if it looks attached, it's a good idea to remove the cowl and clean all the leaves out of there. Clean the blower out, clean the fenders out too because leaves/debris can build up on each side and cause water to back up. Re-secure the shield.

I bought a 740 that was sitting under an oak tree for years. It was packed with leaves down there. Stinky odor from the blower too. I cleaned out the blower and applied antimicrobial spray designed to disinfect evaporator cores. Things are much better now!

We use a hose on a tower at work to find water leaks.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
jerryc
Board Member

There is a vent on both sides.
On my 94, I had deep standing water on the pass side. I went through everything as mentioned above; It was the windshield seal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJenoxX View Post
There isn't one because dudes aren't grossed out by unsolicited vaginas.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:32 AM   #19
Bready
board deviant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
Sunroof?

That much water is a pretty classic indication that your sunroof drain(s) are clogged.

Ask me how I know...
My vote as well.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #20
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

And the sunroof drains! I forgot to mention those too! You may get lucky with some LOW pressure compressed air. I throttle it lightly, but regulated down is a better idea, otherwise the hoses can pop off.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #21
Bready
board deviant

I've used a guitar string with good success.

Easy enough to check - open the sun roof pour a good bit of water on either side, if the drains are good to go you should see a good flow of water in front of the related left or right side door. If it just pools up there and you get dripping in the are I just mentioned rather than a water flow - or no flow at all that's your issue.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

A bottle of water is best.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #23
thessejway
Wannabe TBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallydallas View Post
So just glop on some sealant around the bottom edge of the plug? I already tried prying it out a bit on the vertical edges and managed to chip that twice. So just add goop then? Around the entirety of it or just the bottom half?
Has anyone found a trick to get this thing out?
I keep reefing on it and it won't budge

Last edited by thessejway; 04-28-2019 at 04:08 PM..
thessejway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #24
tintintin
Board Member

The plug/cover behind the kickpanel cover? Don't try to remove it, you'll probably end up cracking it. Just clean around it real good with some brushes, rag with alcohol, etc. and seal all around the edges with caulk, just like sealing around a bathtub.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:54 PM   #25
rallydallas
Board Member

Yeah, I actually tried that myself a bit and yes I did crack it, but thankfully only a bit on the vertical edges. I glued those back before sealing.

Did this stuff yesterday (along with my front and rear brake lines.) Removed the kick panel as step 1 of sealing up the passenger side.

Pic 1, ECU
Pic 2, hello little (krappy) seal... sigh.

Likely a project for this coming weekend. I'm going to get some silicone caulk for this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (144.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (66.3 KB, 13 views)