home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #51
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Was waiting for butyl primer and new, wider 31mm rubber trim to arrive. Did a test fit -- clearly would need the wider trim to cover my re-paint line. Moral of the story - pull the glass for the next repaint. Zoom in at the bottom and you can see how far the new, smaller trim is from covering my paint line. In fact, the new smaller trim on this windshield would BARELY cover the channel on my car.

We removed the trim that came with the new windshield. Just a simple u-channel with butyl in the U. Just pulled it off. Cleaned up the butyl remnants on the edge. And installed the new trim - also a u-channel with butyl in the U. Pic with the new trim installed.

I wasn't happy with the few junkyard locating blocks or the rubber ones that came with the butyl. So we made some out of the foam blocks adhered to the windshield - used to protect it during shipment/storage. Adhered them with extreme double sided foam tape. And this wooden roller was indispensable for pressing the trim onto the edge of the windshield and for pressing the windshield onto the butyl.

Prime the pinchweld, roll out the butyl, prime the windshield, place it, and press/roller into place. Really happy with fit and especially the new trim. Paint line completely covered.

I have leftover primer and 31mm trim if anyone who happens to follow along is interested in taking this approach.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 10-07-2018 at 04:28 PM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #52
Texas240
Prius Owner

Micheal where did you get the wider trim from and how long are you waiting for your everything to set in?
Old 10-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #53
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Ebay on the trim -- I can get the distributor's name if you need it. Manufactured on behalf of Gold Glass (they've got a website). I have 51.5 FEET of trim leftover if someone needs some.....LOL.

"....how long are you waiting for your everything to set in?" Not sure I understand....
Old 10-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #54
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Ebay on the trim -- I can get the distributor's name if you need it. Manufactured on behalf of Gold Glass (they've got a website). I have 51.5 FEET of trim leftover if someone needs some.....LOL.

"....how long are you waiting for your everything to set in?" Not sure I understand....
The butyl to set in or does it always stay sticky?
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #55
TestPoint
Board Member

The butyl is fully sticky upon touching ANYTHING. It will soften and spread heated by the sun which it will surely be in Texas but it never gets less sticky.

The 'soften and spread' is the reason you need to have locating blocks on the bottom and sides to keep the glass from moving.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #56
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
The butyl is fully sticky upon touching ANYTHING. It will soften and spread heated by the sun which it will surely be in Texas but it never gets less sticky.

The 'soften and spread' is the reason you need to have locating blocks on the bottom and sides to keep the glass from moving.
Hmmmm. Well, if it worked those sweeds I guess it'll work for me
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #57
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Tom described it perfectly - the 20-25-30 year old stuff I dug out was the same consistency as the new stuff that went in. A butyl seal is good to go the minute it's set as long as the surfaces were cleaned and (preferably) primed. All the new stuff (for decades now) is set with urethanes -- those get hard and have to set up/dry a bit to secure the windshield. You'll see them taped to the top of the car to keep them from sliding down until the urethane sets. Butyl uses the blocks below the windshield to support it and keep it from sliding down. Mine had been removed at some point - likely to stop a leak based on the amount of silicone that had been added along the driver's side A-pillar. The trim had 2 different color clips holding it on - undoubtedly some had to be replaced when it was pulled. Whoever did this job put NO blocks in at all. So not only had mine slid down, it was off left/right as well - shifted to driver's side.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 10-07-2018 at 11:19 PM..
Old 10-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #58
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:48 PM   #59
Jack
junkman

M.H. What is going on with your dash ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #60
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Not sure what you mean Jack. Has an IPD cap on it.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #61
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Not sure what you mean Jack. Has an IPD cap on it.
Ok that explains it. What’s in the center “speaker”
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #62
M.H. Yount
Board Member

GPS speedo antenna.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #63
M.H. Yount
Board Member

First drive this morning. Nice to be able to see through a clean windshield and not see a bunch of excess butyl squeezed up on the inside. Like before/after cataract surgery.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 10-09-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #64
nel621
Board Member

Curious why you guys chose butyl over urethane. According to the web butyl only has 60 psi of holding vs 600 psi for urethane. Also it is recommended that older cars when replacing the glass use urethane. Went to order my new vinyl top for the coupe and the shop also mentioned that I should install my windshield with urethane and many installers frown on butyl. Comments please.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM   #65
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Because that's what was in there before and I felt more comfortable working with the butyl since I was doing it myself. Additionally, if I had to go back and remove it I felt I could do that more easily with the butyl than with the urethane. Lastly, urethane came into being more recently than butyl as unibodies became stiffer in torsion and bending. While the old 240's had a good unibody for their time, they're a lot more flexible than newer stuff. I like the extra 'give' that the butyl will provide the windshield if the unibody flexes a bit. Not suggesting that perspective is the right one for everyone -- just the right one for me. You should do what you're comfortable with.

Let's face it - if I hit something hard enough to pop the windshield out, I've likely got way bigger problems than the windshield popping out.
Old Today, 12:08 AM   #66
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
Curious why you guys chose butyl over urethane. According to the web butyl only has 60 psi of holding vs 600 psi for urethane. Also it is recommended that older cars when replacing the glass use urethane. Went to order my new vinyl top for the coupe and the shop also mentioned that I should install my windshield with urethane and many installers frown on butyl. Comments please.

Ya they hate the butyl cleanup and they're trained to use the hard set, so usually they'll just lay a bead on top of what's left of the butyl instead of cleaning it off properly and make a real mess / build a leaky body to windshield junction.

But only after they scratch the living bejesus out of the paint in the pinch weld with their draw knife to insure a slow rusty automotive death knell.

Last edited by Redwood Chair; Today at 12:17 AM..
Old Today, 07:16 AM   #67
M.H. Yount
Board Member

^^^ Also what he said. Less of an issue for you Nelson, I'm guesssing, as yours was probably all cleaned up as a part of repainting the car? If you have to have an existing butyl seal set up removed to put the new windshield in, you are unlikely to get a pinch-weld cleanup from a glass shop that looks like this....

Old Today, 11:09 AM   #68
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

^

And don't forget $30 for that little bottle of 3M 08681 primer you're going to use once.
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #69
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I can make someone a deal on that! LOL
Old Today, 09:36 PM   #70
nel621
Board Member

All good info from everyone. I'm leaning towards butyl for the simple fact that if I ever had to remove the glass ( not going happen ) it would make it easier.
Old Today, 09:40 PM   #71
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Restore it to stock Nelson or they'll take points off at Pebble Beach.
Old Today, 09:54 PM   #72
nel621
Board Member

I'm already taking points off myself.
If all goes as planned this project may need to go on permanent hold.
Old Today, 09:57 PM   #73
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
I'm already taking points off myself.
Right?

You'd probably clean it with alcohol and the urethane wouldn't go off anyway.