home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
Yaboyolin

Default 1985 245 Howling & Whistling

Like the title says, my 85 wagon is making an absurdly loud howlig and whistling noise from the front end. It's movement related, not connected to the revs. I've ruled out the pilot bearing as well. It makes the same loudness noise and pitch anywhere from 5 to 70+ mph. Once the cars been driven for 10 minutes or so it kinda just stops. It'll do it for let's say 30 seconds and then stop for 10 seconds then pick back up for 3 minutes. Over and over.

I thought it was the front wheel bearings so I replaced all 4 of those and it's still doing it. It also did it with my winter rims and wheels. I've replaced the exhaust manifold gasket as that was leaking but is unrelated.

Like I've said, changing revs doesn't do anything. Clutching doesn't do anything. It doesn't actually change whether I'm going 10 or 50 mph. It's all the same. Any thoughts would be really appreciated, I'm completely lost
Yaboyolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
esmth
dirty swede

video or audio clip of the sound requested
Old 10-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #3
quillc
yv1a.com

Sounds like the driveshaft carrier bearing.

Last time mine went bad, I though the same thing on the wheel bearings. Greased them good, still had the same problem.

The bearing would 'sing' on and off, just like you are describing.

I replaced mine (was in terrible shape) and was back to quiet operation.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
Fa182
Stage 1

^ Yeah. Sounds similar to the noises I had when the carrier bearing went bad on my 245. It was most obvious when driving just after starting the car and off gas in drive.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #5
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Bad climate control blower motor?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Yaboyolin

Thanks everyone for the replies! It's been oddly warm here for the past few days so I haven't been able to hear the noise long enough to check it thoroughly or get a decent video.

This weekend I'm going to check the carrier bearing. My dad did mention the noise sounded "echoey" which would make sense if it's traveling up the transmission tunnel.

The blower motor was replaced two years ago by the PO so I'd doubt that's the case as it works fine and changing the speed doesn't impact the noise. I guess I could block off the interior air intake and see if it stops?

Thanks all for the replies, I'll keep ya'll updated as I check your suggestions.
Yaboyolin is offline   Reply With Quote