• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LFX 6 banger into a 240.??

I have a neat little Park Tool chain wear gauge I use on my bicycles. It measures the length of the chain over a couple of links. As the chain wears, it gets longer. As it gets longer, it puts a lot more stress on gear teeth (because it's only engaging with some, instead of nearly all) and wears them out.

I think it's splitting hairs to say that something that gets longer as it wears is not 'stretching'.

Blub blub blub blub.

I just want something that:
- makes ridiculous amounts of HP
- doesn't blow up too often
- if it does blow up - it's dirt cheap to replace

yes it may be spliting hairs, but no individual part of the chain gets any longer - therefore no stretch, gap tolerances just wear out mostly due to dirt and grit contamination. Its not like the earlier V6's or motorcycles pull a chain into plastic deformation. When your brake pads need to be replaced you dont say that they shrunk afterall...

OP is my father, and I told him not to mention this cause now the cat's out of the bag. My brother and I were going to start this project next spring then surprise the internet with an LFX Volvo 240 and rocket to fame and glory on youtube, lol. We've got plenty of Volvos to play with, we'll probably chop an old rusted wagon we have in half to mount everything MCM style...

It'll be documented...

My bike throws ~850lbs 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, I've stretched inferior chains. You can roll it around by hand when it's on the center stand and push up on it and see the difference in slack.

They got rid of a chain on the gen III high feature v6. We were doing chains on the older 3.6's all the time, now that most of those have been taken care of and people are upgrading, we're not replacing chains on the newer engines all the time.

My bike throws ~850lbs 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, I've stretched inferior chains. You can roll it around by hand when it's on the center stand and push up on it and see the difference in slack.

I don't want to get off on a tangent here, but considering gravity's acceleration is 22mph per second (which is about how fast your bike is according to your stats) what you're implying is that that same chain couldn't lift you and your bike up without stretching... chains get sloppy, they don't stretch.

They got rid of a chain on the gen III high feature v6. We were doing chains on the older 3.6's all the time, now that most of those have been taken care of and people are upgrading, we're not replacing chains on the newer engines all the time.

Any further info on this? Did they just replace a chain with a better unit? These motors have 3 timing chains, right?

Any further info on this? Did they just replace a chain with a better unit? These motors have 3 timing chains, right?

having second thoughts about all that lfx fame and glory

You don't have one of these on an engine stand in your garage yet?

having second thoughts about all that lfx fame and glory

You don't have one of these on an engine stand in your garage yet?

LOL, not at all. The problem was obviously dealt with back in '12, just trying to find out exactly what they did to address the issue. I'd love to talk to an engineer from the project...

As of now I only have one eye open for an LFX pull out, after the holidays I'll start looking more seriously, I have a feeling getting a wrecked car from copart will be the best way to go though - depends how much info I can glean off the Miata guys.

Back