• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Water pump pulley differences

ShadowofBob

Revived...
I was comparing my 1991 water pump pulley with a recently acquired 1992-1995 B230F/B230FT pulley and noticed one was much smaller than the other. This would mean that the water pump would run a bit faster than on earlier models. Is there an advantage to this or is there any other reason they switched pulleys? It was done at the same time they introduced the E-Fan setups.

The diameter difference between the two is pretty close to .75"
1985-1991 Left
1992-1995 Right
wppulley.jpg

slower turning is better.

robs less horsepower.

AND the pump is less likely to explode at very high aftermarket EMS only rpms.

Hmm

I looked at VADIS and it shows 2 types of pulleys for all cars. The turbos got the smaller one for some reason. This is regardless of year. Perhaps it was always like this and I never noticed since my car was originally NA. They also could have put it in there so any future upgrades received the smaller one.

Someone with a -1991 turbo should look and see what they have.

i pulled a larger one at the yards the other day just for ****s and grins.

I always thought the car w/ clutch fans got the smaller ones and e-fan cars got bigger ones.

Thanks for posting this though, :)

cool! guess ill be swapping out my pulley tonight. only thing i can think is cause the turbo engines run a hair hotter they want the pump running faster....

cool! guess ill be swapping out my pulley tonight. only thing i can think is cause the turbo engines run a hair hotter they want the pump running faster....

in theory that sounds right, but the thermostat is a restriction either way you shake it

and my 90' has a small pulley

12 year thread bump...

Does anyone have the part number for the later "larger diameter" water pump pulley?

Also, does anyone know the measured diameter of the later pulley?

Back