• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

brake flush question

own6volvos

He who controls the Spice
I am about to flush the brake systems on a few of my cars. The question thought is about my 91 245 w/ ABS. Is there a special procedure to flush the ABS system? How much fluid should I have to be able to do a complete flush? What brand fluid would you guys recommend to use for my ABS system?

KEvin

Use Valvoline Synpower brake fluid. For a complete flush, you will need about 3/4 of a quart. No differences in procedure between ABS and non-ABS.

It is important to open the lines on ABS to prevent back flow into the ABS unit of dirt, or other matter that may be in your system if it was not properly maintained.... A replacement ABS controller in around $1,000. US, so why take the chance, and not flush the system at the calipers?

It is a good idea to install stainless braided lines at this time too.....

IMHO :wink:

Most brake-shops have a device to cycle the ABS system while they're flushing/bleeding, in order to get the old fluid out of the various recesses of the ABS "block"

My procedure:

Flush using www.motiveproducts.com.
Go for a trip around the block, do a couple of psycho-stops to get the ABS to cycle.
Return to the garage to flush again.

May be overkill, but hey.

Back