• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Aluminum Bracket for Alternator & A/C

Lazarus

1994 940 n/a Bendix-Regina
This variant has the A/C compressor mounted on the bottom of a thick aluminum bracket. The 960 style Denso alternator is mounted above it. I always wondered why the compressor pulley wasn't square to the damper, until someone noted that these thick brackets can bend.

If in fact I want to replace mine, is there a chance I could find one...part number must be unique to this model/year (block mounted distributor). Finally, how would you know whether the one in your hands isn't bent?

BTW I don't really care if the a/c pulley is canted, but a new belt starts squeaking in 6 months. The belt adjusters on the a/c compressor must be able to torque that bracket.

Thank you!
Lazarus

Don't have any experience with Regina cars, just trying to help.
The 94+ parts catalogue doesn't explicitly show any difference between Regina and LH systems for the AC mountings.

Is the part you need in this diagram?
From: https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=239362&ukey_product=1161963#2

GR-67134.jpg

Oh the big mounting bracket itself? Isn't that a cast part that breaks before it bends?

Thanks for the replies. The thread I referred to is this one:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=356844

Yes the bracket I was talking about is #2. It doesn't seem possible that a large cast aluminum bracket could bend. I'm almost sure that the alternator (Denso 100a) and a/c compressor are stock. My previous dive into this problem is here:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=320096 And in my case the misalignment is not front-to-back, it is that the a/c pulley is angled in reference to the damper. The p/s and alternator belts are right on.

Replacing the bushings did not change the problem (some time ago), but if there are 2 bushing types, wouldn't both compressor AND alternator be misaligned? The only other believable reason would be that the a/c mountings themselves are bent. And it figures that you can't readily see if that's the trouble. You can't readily do anything to that compressor, as a matter of fact, without pulling off the alternator.

One thing I keep running into when ordering IPD parts, is that there are more than one Bendix-Regina sub-types. They couldn't decide what to do with this model.

Thanks!
Lazarus

Did you replace all four bushings? There is a harder bushing for the a/c compressor but I believe the stock replacements from Volvo are all the harder bushing now. I have read here of that bracket cracking and breaking due to corrosion over the years. But never heard of a bent one.

Also when adjusting the belt tension. There are actually two slider brackets to adjust. The rear one has only a locking bolt so it can slide. The front has the tension adjustment. Your compressor is probably angled from not being adjusted properly. It's hard to get to the rear adjustment slider lock bolt and many people ignore it and angle their compressor. When adjusting the belt tension. You may have to pry the rear slider so it's adjusts.

Oh, and Regina/Rex is the same car to car. The only difference I know of is some cars are head mount distributor and some are block mount distributor.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the thoughts on this annoying misalignment. All bushings replaced. I agree that the bending may be in the drawing #4, 5, 6. but the front edge of the a/c belt gets chewed up. It seems to be the angle of the compressor rather than the position front to back that is incorrect. I've watched this thing for years, and it hasn't changed so I doubt if the bracket is cracked. Short of taking the compressor off I wonder if loosening it up and tweaking it with a 2x4 would be a smart idea. Those dual adjusters are tricky. I might have another go at it this coming spring.

Lazarus

The bracket s the same, Regina vs. LH. I have the later style that does not use rubber bushings to mount the AC compressor. Send me a PM if you are interested in buying it.

Back