home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
Boulder Dash

Default MegaSquirt 1 vs Ostrich 2.0 vs TLAO Chip (B230FK)

I Just stumpled across an old MegaSquirt 1 V2.2 dirt cheap, and as it seems like the TLAO chips (both fuel and ignition) are hard to come by in Europe, I though about this as an alternative that would be cheaper than a chip emulator.
For now the engine is stock, but I do mean to up the boost pressure of the 13C to around 12-14 psi in the near future using and MBC. I also got an IPD turbocam on the shelf.
Further down the pipeline I also see a 3" downpipe and a full 3" exhaust with a single silencer, and Im also on the lookout for a decent 19T, which I guess will be beyond the capabilities of the stock fuel prom program as far as being able to adapt the fuel accordingly.

At first I thought about getting a set of chips, but they seem to be hard to come by (at least the reputable ones), but they are of course the most straighforward upgrade fueling and spark wise.

I then rediscovered the chip emulators, which seems somewhere in between a simple chip replacement and a stand alone programmable engine management, in that it is rather simple to install, but just as time consuming to tune right, and you are, of course, still bound by the limitations of LH 2.4.

But then other day I was offered a simple MegaSquirt 1 V2.2, for not much more than the cost of a pair of chips, but I realize that the hardware is very old at this point (though not older than LH 2.4).
I do find the prospect of undertaking both the wiring and the following tuning of the software exciting, also as a way of hands on learning regarding wiring and car electronics in general, and I do like to fiddle with both hardware and software, so the aspect of being able to continuously tweaking values and parameters seems like an obvious way of wasting my spare time with something valuable

So back to my question - would anybody in here advise against getting a MegaSquirt 1 V2.2 as a cheap start; is it an obsolete platform (even for a LH 2.4 powered B230) only leading into a dead end?
Boulder Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Nothing wrong with MS1 with a v2.2 board.

Just load the MSnS extra firmware on to it and rock out.

Plenty of turbobrickers are running on that setup.

If you really want to upgrade you can upgrade the processor to make it a MS2
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
shoestring
Board Member

Which LH2.4 limitations are you concerned about?
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #4
Dicktater
Cretin

I think you are worrying too much, take little steps in modding your car. Full 3" exhaust is a big performance mod starting out, along with turning up the boost on that little 13c. You may be surprised what lh 2.4 can adapt to.

I run a Holset hx30 with full 3" exhaust, do88 intercooler, blue injectors from a v70 with boost turned up to 18 psi and a 4:10 rear diff. On stock lh2.4, my afr's are a little rich under full power but that's better than lean. it's a lot of fun but you gotta draw the line somewhere with stock lh.........little steps, KISS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Dash View Post
I Just stumpled across an old MegaSquirt 1 V2.2 dirt cheap, and as it seems like the TLAO chips (both fuel and ignition) are hard to come by in Europe, I though about this as an alternative that would be cheaper than a chip emulator.
For now the engine is stock, but I do mean to up the boost pressure of the 13C to around 12-14 psi in the near future using and MBC. I also got an IPD turbocam on the shelf.
Further down the pipeline I also see a 3" downpipe and a full 3" exhaust with a single silencer, and I´m also on the lookout for a decent 19T, which I guess will be beyond the capabilities of the stock fuel prom program as far as being able to adapt the fuel accordingly.

At first I thought about getting a set of chips, but they seem to be hard to come by (at least the reputable ones), but they are of course the most straighforward upgrade fueling and spark wise.

I then rediscovered the chip emulators, which seems somewhere in between a simple chip replacement and a stand alone programmable engine management, in that it is rather simple to install, but just as time consuming to tune right, and you are, of course, still bound by the limitations of LH 2.4.

But then other day I was offered a simple MegaSquirt 1 V2.2, for not much more than the cost of a pair of chips, but I realize that the hardware is very old at this point (though not older than LH 2.4).
I do find the prospect of undertaking both the wiring and the following tuning of the software exciting, also as a way of hands on learning regarding wiring and car electronics in general, and I do like to fiddle with both hardware and software, so the aspect of being able to continuously tweaking values and parameters seems like an obvious way of wasting my spare time with something valuable

So back to my question - would anybody in here advise against getting a MegaSquirt 1 V2.2 as a cheap start; is it an obsolete platform (even for a LH 2.4 powered B230) only leading into a dead end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMeatWagon View Post
I hope your treehouse gets cancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
I buy a few when foodstamps get here because I have an investment strategy.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo740b234/531 View Post
I smoke my weed and dream of an awesome life
Feedback >http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=197700
Dicktater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Chips in Europe, hmm? Like these ones?

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...&postcount=108
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
Dicktater
Cretin

Do you do custom work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post

Old 01-26-2021, 09:22 PM   #7
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

It depends, PM me!
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:30 PM   #8
Dicktater
Cretin

Will do, no hurry .
Old 01-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #9
Boulder Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Which LH2.4 limitations are you concerned about?
mostly the way it adapts on the fly, as well as being reliant on the air mass sensor. Also it seems like a lot of people are running very rich with LH 2.4 (better than lean I guess)?
Old 01-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #10
Boulder Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktater View Post
I think you are worrying too much, take little steps in modding your car. Full 3" exhaust is a big performance mod starting out, along with turning up the boost on that little 13c. You may be surprised what lh 2.4 can adapt to.

I run a Holset hx30 with full 3" exhaust, do88 intercooler, blue injectors from a v70 with boost turned up to 18 psi and a 4:10 rear diff. On stock lh2.4, my afr's are a little rich under full power but that's better than lean. it's a lot of fun but you gotta draw the line somewhere with stock lh.........little steps, KISS
Is this on stock LH 2.4, or chipped?
Old 01-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #11
Boulder Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post

Look interesting. Are they comparable to the TLAO chips in regards to adaptability?
Seems like the TLAO chips are used in a wide selection of setups (from near stock to +300 hp).
Old 01-27-2021, 08:16 AM   #12
Dicktater
Cretin

Stock with NA block.

Quote:
Is this on stock LH 2.4, or chipped?
Old 01-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #13
Swedbrick
Board Member

Quote:
Look interesting. Are they comparable to the TLAO chips in regards to adaptability?
Seems like the TLAO chips are used in a wide selection of setups (from near stock to +300 hp).
As with all chips sold, they are adapted to the application, with tlao as well as with the ones by redblockpowered I sell in Europe, it depends on what you require. The mapping is usually chosen depending on your needs
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #14
Boulder Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedbrick View Post
As with all chips sold, they are adapted to the application, with tlao as well as with the ones by redblockpowered I sell in Europe, it depends on what you require. The mapping is usually chosen depending on your needs
How would the chip handle slightly bigger injectors (as the engine was fitted with a set of NA injectors for some reason I bought a set of Saab 9-5 Aero EV6 high ohm injectors that are 373 cc afaik)?
Would it also tolerate a full 3" exhaust, IPD cam and a slightly modified 530 head, as long as you stay with the 13C?
Old 01-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #15
Swedbrick
Board Member

For the Injectors, scaling can be applied, that is not a problem. The higher flow should also be okay, we can provide a slightly extended mapping, which should protect for any overshoot in case the flow deviates more than expected
Old 01-28-2021, 04:15 PM   #16
Boulder Dash

Sounds nice.
Is the RPM limit kept stock, and what does shipping to Denmark amount to?
Old 01-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #17
Swedbrick
Board Member

Feel free to send me a pm, that's more convenient. Rpm is kept stock yes, it could be increased but with the 13c, there really is little to be gained.

Shipping should be around 10, I sell the chipsets for 80, and I also still have one prototype ezk chipping board you can get for free if you're willing to provide a review and feedback
Old 01-28-2021, 08:03 PM   #18
Scorpanio240
Board Member

Guy in norway I found on fb just sold me a set of 2.4 chips good for 20psi and run light blue injectors stock intake 16t 2 1/2" do. Megasquirt for this cars sub 300 whp is just extra steps
85 745 tic m46
90 244 parts
93 944 backyard card
Scorpanio240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:23 AM   #19
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Where you stand at the moment you have no need for any chips. Chips do not make you extra power, they are there to support mods. As a responsible vendor at this stage I would steer you away from any chips. Before looking at chips you need to decide on what turbo you will run, injectors and air flow meter (looks like cam you will already run the IPD offering).

Chips are a nice easy way of supporting most common mods to these engines upto around the 300BHP region. It is always best to discuss what mods you plan and check teh chips are suitable. There are odd DIY guys selling chips, one cropped up in the UK recently and they were removing the lambda function so the ECU was not able to adapt resulting in chips that were not flexible and poor consumption. Stand alone has lots of advantages but only once you have mastered the mapping. A good way to learn would be to have a loom that plugs into the original ECU connectors so you can play and rather than put up with problems plug the original ECU's back in and have another go when you have time

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #20
DNAsEqUeNcE
John3:16

Ms1 is meh, at least ms2 if you can afford the daughter board.