• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

more silly trans swap questions

clarda

hey guys, not even sure if this should be posted here but.... just bought an 84 242dl. the m46 is fragged. i have an m47 i was going to put in the wagon but now this seems to be a better home. the question: can i just use the front half of the drive shaft that i got w/ the m47? i'm not sure about the lengths. anyone ever try this? as usual, any suggestions would be great.-

I'm not sure about the 240's but the 740's driveshaft is balanced as a complete unit. I made the mistake of only changing out the front half and I've had a vibration ever since. You've got to take the whole shaft out anyway to do the tranny, I'd just change it all over.

swapped in the m47 last night. front driveshaft section for m47 mounted up just fine. still needs center support bearing- do that next week. hey breadbox.. all of the multi-piece drive shafts are balanced (per section). try to reclock your front shaft so as the weights on the front shaft are 180 degrees from were the rear shaft weights are. that should fix your vibe (worked on my 245).

Back