• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

front engine seals- which sealant?

neek

Hi all I'm about to do the 3 front engine seals on my b21f, which permatex sealant should I be goin for? I want the best one so I can do it right the first time. Thank you

Also which sealant for the water pump and thermostat housing?

Hi all I'm about to do the 3 front engine seals on my b21f, which permatex sealant should I be goin for? I want the best one so I can do it right the first time. Thank you

Also which sealant for the water pump and thermostat housing?

Permatex Ultra-Grey at car places

Yama-Bond at Yamaha places..

Best stuff when you want it NOT to leak..
Use sparingly
Read instructions

Wipe off excess--should there be any...but shouldn't be..

Toyota FIPG is great stuff..

Yes...It is the same thing as the Ultra-Grey made under licence from Drei-Bond GhmB...
(If it's what I think you're referring to) It just costs 5-7 times as much..

http://dreibond.de/

ProdukteProdukte
Drei Bond verf?gt seit mehr als 35 Jahren ?ber ein umfangreiches Portfolio an Hochleistungs-Kleb- und Dichtstoffen und ist in diesem Bereich ein anerkannter Systemlieferant der Automobilindustrie. Das Spektrum reicht von klassischen anaeroben Klebstoffen ?ber UV-Klebstoffe bis zu Hochleistungssilikonen.

Die St?rke von Drei Bond liegt zum einen im breitgef?cherten Produktportfolio, das nahezu jede Problemstellung abdeckt, zum anderen in der Entwicklungskompetenz, wenn es darum geht, f?r technologisch neue Anwendungen die passenden L?sungen zu finden. Etwa f?r das relativ neue Segment der E-Mobilit?t im Automobilsektor oder in der Nanotechnologie.

Grunds?tzlich erf?llen alle Drei Bond-Produkte die Automotive-Anforderungen.

Yes...It is the same thing as the Ultra-Grey made under licence from Drei-Bond GhmB...
(If it's what I think you're referring to) It just costs 5-7 times as much..

http://dreibond.de/

ProdukteProdukte
Drei Bond verf?gt seit mehr als 35 Jahren ?ber ein umfangreiches Portfolio an Hochleistungs-Kleb- und Dichtstoffen und ist in diesem Bereich ein anerkannter Systemlieferant der Automobilindustrie. Das Spektrum reicht von klassischen anaeroben Klebstoffen ?ber UV-Klebstoffe bis zu Hochleistungssilikonen.

Die St?rke von Drei Bond liegt zum einen im breitgef?cherten Produktportfolio, das nahezu jede Problemstellung abdeckt, zum anderen in der Entwicklungskompetenz, wenn es darum geht, f?r technologisch neue Anwendungen die passenden L?sungen zu finden. Etwa f?r das relativ neue Segment der E-Mobilit?t im Automobilsektor oder in der Nanotechnologie.

Grunds?tzlich erf?llen alle Drei Bond-Produkte die Automotive-Anforderungen.

Interesting. Isn't Ultra-Grey actually gray, though (FIPG is black)? I mean, I guess coloring isn't hard to add. FIPG is definitely expensive, but it's amazing. I have used it for water pump gaskets, oil seals/gaskets, and even patching a hole in a CV axle boot once (lasted for 20,000 miles, until I got rid of the car - probably still fine...). Turns into a pretty tough rubber-like substance - also sets really quick, which I like.

Here is what I am talking about: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-00295-00103-Formed-Place/dp/B000EDDTV0

Interesting. Isn't Ultra-Grey actually gray, though (FIPG is black)? I mean, I guess coloring isn't hard to add. FIPG is definitely expensive, but it's amazing. I have used it for water pump gaskets, oil seals/gaskets, and even patching a hole in a CV axle boot once (lasted for 20,000 miles, until I got rid of the car - probably still fine...). Turns into a pretty tough rubber-like substance - also sets really quick, which I like.

Here is what I am talking about: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-00295-00103-Formed-Place/dp/B000EDDTV0

Yeah yeah, done a side by side comparison? There's some lunatic here that constantly screams about it and if I recall correctly I flipped over the tube of the stuff and saw "Made Under licence from Drei-Bond GhmB" ...

Have you used Ultra-Grey or Yama-bond?

Ultra-Grey, 3-Bond, and Toyota FIPG are all a little different. They might all be made by the same company, but they definitely have differences in viscosity and tack. So choose what you want for the application. I have 3-bond, Permatex Moto-Seal, Ultra-Grey, and Permatex FIPG. They get used in different applications.
FIPG (even the generic permatex) is the shiznit for sealing flat machined surfaces, removal might require a hammer or pry tool. Ultra-Grey and 3-bond/Drie Bond are good for that as well, with the added benefit that they work on the OD of seals.

I've used none and have used Permatex black when some other monkey has scratched the bore

Perma-tex Black/Blue/Red is just RTV silicon rubber... I like the blue cause i paint lots of blocks blue.. I do not like how RTV silicone rubber doesn't stick so well to things..
it is good for caulking around the sink or the bath-tub..

Ultr-grey for things I want permanent-ish
Hylomar or Loctite 510 for things I think may come apart in the field some day.

I've used none and have used Permatex black when some other monkey has scratched the bore

I usually use RTV is when a HIGH temp seal is needed, I then grab the tube of Permatex Ultra-Copper. You can make header gaskets with that stuff! Good to 700F! I've also used it on both sides of valve cover gaskets for b230s with great results.

Black works surprisingly well on diff covers. It seems to be a bit better when there's a little oil residue left over.

No sealant needed for the front engine seals. The water pump uses a gasket against the block. Again, no sealant.
Get the crank, cam, and intermediate shaft seals from Volvo.

^^^^ Correct. Don't glue your seals in place. The next guy, likely YOU will have trouble pulling it and may damage something. I have had to fix two damages engines recently that wouldn't seal because somebody scratched a sealing surface with a tool. Its not fun ripping apart FWD V6 engines two or three times to chase the same oil leak.

Ultr-grey for things I want permanent-ish
Hylomar or Loctite 510 for things I think may come apart in the field some day.

Do you use these sealants with gaskets, John?

I've been trying to figure out what's best to use on things like valve covers and dirt bike clutch covers, i.e., stuff that I want to be able to take apart and put back together without replacing the gasket. I've used wheel bearing grease on some, and some with Ultra Gray on one side and grease on the other.

Back