• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

Yeah it's a real Momo, with the engraving at the back, with Momo branded bolts. Build quality looks on par with other Mod 8 wheels I have seen/touched. Gonna say real Momo.

The AW71 isn't too bad as long as you are used to driving with it. Sadly I don't have permission to throw $3000 to do a proper T-5 swap right now.

Between the bushings, LSD, and much quicker-spooling turbo it will be more than livable over the next year or two. Right now it's a mildly quick, comfy (still too loud) cruiser with extremely charming looks and a panty-dropping stereo.

I've heard the aw71 is awesome for an auto. It is one of the best looking 240's I've seen.

Either way I can't talk trash, I still have a glass m47 and the useless g80.

The M47 isn't all that bad. I do hate the way that G80s work, though.

Just realized I haven't written about 75% of the things I have done to this car since I bought it. Oh well.

Gratuitous Cars and Coffee pics, courtesy of Nick Choy.

So the cylinder head gave up the ghost. Was driving at part throttle, 12 psi, up a hill, misfire, cloud of coolant coming out the tailpipe. Pulled over and found that all the coolant drained out the exhaust. Awesomesauce BCP junk. Suspecting a mix of cheap waterpump, failing t-stat, BCP head, and semi aggressve driving as root cause. Car is at RSI now awaiting a freshly rebuilt hand-ported 530 head that I bought from Mr. John Gates, .027" and a Hepu water pump. While it's there the car will receive a new brake master cylinder, soft lines, and the Kaplhenke brackets. I'm going soft. Usually I would do this stuff in a weekend. Oh well.

Since the B21 uses an old k-jet head with valve cover vent, I decided it was time to go with fancy Yoshifab hardware and bought this:

ccv_b230.JPG

It's seriously the nicest single-piece metal part I have seen. Props to sdturbo for making some amazing products!

In other news, the 19T kit and some injectors have been sold. I now have some cash freed to buy up some goodies to get this bad boy running :oogle:

Shout out to the Dude for the hookup. Can't wait to get this thing going!!

Thanks! And that's correct: Duder kindly traded me this for a few parts I had sitting around. It's a pre-production GTX2860R. Compressor wheel is a tiny bit smaller than the production version.

Planning on using a Garrett T25 .64 AR turbine housing. Going to have to get a 90+ re-pinned to get it to work.

So I screwed the pooch. There has been some part throttle misfiring aaaand the cooling system was over-pressurizing. Figured it was a combination of ****ty water pump, as mentioned a few days ago. I think a lot of it has t do with the fact that the head is/was BCP. Mr. Mollerstuen at work:

And then...

Not to worry though. Picked up a *very* freshly rebuilt and ported 530 head. ARP studs, hand ported, 3 angle valve grind...the works short of bigger valves and welding. I got it bucketed and shimmed this morning. Should be done by Wednesday:

Intake

Exhaust:

Sitrep: it's mostly buttoned up. Ended up using a .027" MLS head gasket for a squish distance of .042" and static CR of 8.96:1. Turns out the head was skimmed only .0003", which is nice. Yoshifab PCV plate was not used. Turns out I received the wrong one. Luckily the shop needed one so it's getting used anyway. Pic of my pcv solution. It routes through a Greddy catch can to the stock port on the intake.

So it runs again...

...though a bit steamy. There was a gallon of coolant in the sump...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dwkMRd3hhNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...sounds mean with the new head!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JAq48hij-v4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
In that one photo is the head gasket all distorted around that cylinder? I wonder what caused that? Interesting photo, since I've never seen any of the head gasket jobs I've done have a gasket in that shape.

Back