• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A Chevy S10: The search for Redblock power

I had a very productive weekend on this project. Started out by finding out that ls1 coils absolutely do not fit on the deeworks bracket, I thought it was just the bolt holes being too close together but they're also too wide. So for now, its ls1 coils with only one bolt holding them on to the bracket until I can get ahold of some d585 ls2/truck coils.

I had planned on using the volvo radiator and stock intercooler so I could use stock intercooler plumbing to get it on the road a little quicker, but the chevy core support was going to require extensive modification to fit the volvo stuff, so I just made the chevy lower hose and volvo upper radiator hose work and used the stock s10 radiator. I went and bought a torqueflo trans cooler kit from the parts store and got it hooked up as well.

After that I hit up a few friends for their leftover ebay piping kits and threw something together to get this ebaycooler on, and had very minimal cutting to do on the core support.

With that out of the way, I moved my battery tray, hooked up the fan, wired up my lc2 and took it for a drive around the block. Now I just need to figure out why my alternator isn't charging, and get a decent tune in it.

But it runs, drives, and keeps its fluids in! I'm beyond stoked about this thing!

Love this sooo much!
I wish my builds were this upbeat and successful...

I had an 85 S-10 years ago with the stock 4cyl. so slow but low gearing made it fun.
I'm imagining what it's like to drive this with a turbo redblock, SQUEEE!

Haha its not quite there yet, since the alternator wasn't charging and I don't have a tune in it was a complete dog last night.

Installed a hood, air filter, and grille. All of which are somewhat half-assed, because I'm not too invested in making this look very nice. I dig the multi-colored body panels and things being cut up. The grille is still cracked and missing a lens from when this thing got hit right after I got it.

On another note, I recently received my bluetooth adapter for MS from efi analytics. After a malfunction and spending some time on the phone with their support team, I've got my tablet and MSDroid at least giving a solid attempt at connecting to the ecu. Once I can get it to figure out the ecu definition my bluetooth dash will be in business.

Still need to wire up my boost control solenoid and get a shift kit lined out for the 700r4. I have a feeling its not going to last too much longer without some work.. I've spent some time on the tune and have started to get it hashed out, but I have been driving the tires off of it. I've been dailying it since about 3 days after having it running, with no issues other than blowing charge piping apart. Today I saw about 11psi in first, and the truck has absolutely no traction once the boost comes on. Time to put my 97 Jimmy locker rear end in it!

I've recently got a 90 ranger, its the 2.3 with a 5 speed and it burns a quart a week minimum. It's a gutless wonder but its dead reliable. The guy I bought it from has a 2.3 turbocoupe engine swapped into his and its a hoot.

my first car was a 91 ranger 4 cyl manual, red with red bench, short bed, no power anything

I totaled it at 300k

love them truck

this thing is coming along. keep up the good work

FINALLY got msdroid to connect and determine my ecu definition. I'm still not 100% sure what the problem is but its got something to do with the db9 gender changer that comes with efi analytics' bluetooth adapter.. have to fiddle with it to get the ecu to actually communicate with MS. Anyway, took it for a spin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc02X19ac2M

Last edited:
The truck did a little work last night.. can't hook because its still pegleg and trans slips a little bit anything over 15psi, but she's coming along. Passed the silverado around the 1000' like he was sitting still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61aC9CmF2wY

Got some more goodies for it today. Shift kit and servos for the 700r4 are on their way as well.

Went to the track last friday. Old hard tires wouldn't let me launch even though they're 275s out back, then a boot kept blowing off once it finally spooled up so I'd have to let out at the top of 2nd. Best was 14.8 @ 76 mph with a 2.4 60'.

SO, got it home, got the boot fixed, switched it over to e85, figured out the boost control and now have 20psi instantly, got the 700r4 working a little better, welded the rear end, and she's ready to put in some work. Still need to get my bottle filled up and the system set up, but next outing is 12's or bust. Preferably I'll run a 12.9x pass without the bottle but we'll see what happens.

Alternator setup is done, and for posterity's sake, it takes a 47.5" belt to run this accessory configuration.

any chance of seeing a pic of your tensioner setup on the underside of the alt?

sweet truck. curious to see what the next time at the strip nets you.

any chance of seeing a pic of your tensioner setup on the underside of the alt?

sweet truck. curious to see what the next time at the strip nets you.

It's just a stock 740 alternator bracket. And thanks, I'll keep you posted!

like this?

s-l225.jpg

I switched the truck over to e85, and maxed the injectors out around 18 psi. I got a set of 27lb/hr ls truck injectors and decapped them to increase flow to around ~70lb/hr, and swapped them in the day before an event.

The first time the truck got to see any boost with these injectors in was making a pass at IFO in Tulsa, and I've been dealing with some boost control and traction issues as well so I couldn't crack off any better times. I ended up changing out the wastegate actuator and fixing most of my issues so I'll be taking it out again this coming weekend. Next on the list is the nitrous install and get it on the dyno for some ignition and cam tuning.

Made a few passes yesterday, best so far is 13.40@100mph. Still trying to get the 60' down in the 1.8 range and it will do 12s on the current setup.

I've been surprised at the amount of love the truck has been getting though!

Made a stop at my old work today and ended up with an impromptu dyno session.

So far the setup is stock b230ft, t cam, adjustable gear, 90+, 16t, ebay intercooler, using decapped ls truck injectors on e85, through a summit cheapo converter, 700r4, welded 3.08 diff and 275/55r15 radials. At 19psi, made 233whp and 330ft/lbs. My summit 3000 stall converter was flashing to just under 4k on the dyno for 3rd gear pulls and we revved it out to about 5500 after the first pull because it wasn't making any more power past that point. I played with timing, adding and pulling fuel, and retarding cam timing and never made more than 2-3whp difference. Switching back to closed loop boost control gave me more torque as it slightly overshot the target, but as boost came back down power stayed about the same. Any more boost gives more power but IATs start to climb quite a bit. I may turn it up the next time I hit the track if I can get my converter working a little better and get the 60' down to where I want it.

I really wish photobucket wasn't being so stupid right now, I wanted to show off how ridiculously flat the hp curve on this dyno graph was! But regardless, I'm happy the truck is managing to be so consistent, and I've been dailying it for a 70 mile round trip to work every day as well!

EDIT: forgot to mention that I took the truck back out last weekend and have a new best of 13.20@102 in it. We also took my friend's v8 swapped 89 s10 out. His is a 350 with headers, cam, heads, 3500 nitrous converter, turbo 350 with b&m shift kit, ratchet shifter, and mickey thompson e.t. streets... and I outrun him pretty consistently. Honestly we're figuring something is wrong with his setup, it's not pulling away on the top end as well as it should be, and it only footbrakes to about 2100 so his 60' is barely any better than mine.

Last edited:
Back