home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #76
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Like those trailing arms! I've kind of wondered why you couldn't do something like that.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #77
Ju1cE
Board Member

So that's what it looks like when a professional does it...I have been slowly plugging away with my project and frustrated about clearance for a brake booster I search hydroboost volvo....and find this guy making the swap look easy. Any tips you learned on the hydro boost?
The Betrone (not done, but on the road) Captain Bondo's Engine, 8.8, etc.
65 122S- In loving Memory of Dad. 12-3-10 Died in an accident while driving a 244, there are no such thing as a grandpa car guarantee
Ju1cE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #78
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Default Bragging again

Here is another picture of the 64' Chevelle that I spent so much time on last year.

May 2014 - Super Chevy - Cover and 4 pages inside!!

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #79
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Default 03-18-2014 update

I got back on the struts today. Most everything I needed came in from Coleman racing recently. I ordered two steel threaded sleeves, two 8" 250lb springs, spring retainers and adjustable seats.

I also ordered my strut cartridges, Koni 8610-1437.

The Koni strut (yellow) is 3" shorter than the OEM version (Blue).

Because of this fact, I welded my threaded sleeves on to the strut 3" from the top, for my first planned install I have only shortened the strut tube 1.5".

The problem with this is I also ordered 8" springs and with the Koni spaced up 1.5" and fully extended I don't have enough thread left to preload the spring. I am either going to need some helper springs 2-4" long (which would have the benefit of acting like a progressive spring if I choose a different spring rate) or I am going to need 10-12" springs. I debated with my self for a couple of days about getting the 10" springs - to bad I lost the argument.

I think the 8" spring will work well if I cut another 1.5" off the tube, just not sure how low I want the car yet.

sorry about the crappy pics, all I have is an iPhone for this stuff.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #80
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Default Hydro boost update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ju1cE View Post
So that's what it looks like when a professional does it...I have been slowly plugging away with my project and frustrated about clearance for a brake booster I search hydroboost volvo....and find this guy making the swap look easy. Any tips you learned on the hydro boost?
I haven't completed my hydroboost setup yet, but I can tell you, you will need a couple of adapters machined to fit the Volvo master cylinder onto the Chevy truck system. Also, the push rod needs to be removed and shortened.

The further I got into it and with some additional research, I found that the Ford Mustang system was a better match, the push rod is almost the perfect length and the master cylinder can be used because the brake line outputs are on the correct side. This and the fact that you can get three different sized master cylinder bores gives you a better chance of matching what ever brake changes you have made. I picked up a complete late 90's Mustang hydroboost setup (including all the hoses and a power steering cooler) for $55 at the pick and pull in Albuquerque. I then ordered a new master cylinder with the bore I wanted on Amazon for another $35.

I still need to fill the holes in the firewall from the chevy truck unit but other than that the mustang unit looks like it is going to work very well. I will try to get some pictures soon.

** As a side note, another popular unit to use is out of the Astro Vans, it is larger and they seem to be sought after, because I only found one unit at the pick and pull that day. ***
Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #81
DBeum
Breaking stuff.

Just got this months Super Chevy. The chevelle looks exactly like the cover. Am I wrong to assume same vehicle?

**Just saw above post. Nice Job

Last edited by DBeum; 03-18-2014 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Doh!
DBeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 AM   #82
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeum View Post
Just got this months Super Chevy. The chevelle looks exactly like the cover. Am I wrong to assume same vehicle?

**Just saw above post. Nice Job
One and the same. I am very blessed to have had these opportunities!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #83
volvorod85
Board Member

Isnt the volvo master just a 3/4 master? Figure out what size the bore is and replace with one thats the same size bore that fits the hydroboost, done and done
1974 Fiat X1/9 <--Mom's little toy (next project)
1982 Olds Custom Cruiser LQ4 <--Dad's beast (current project)

"Driving the old 2 valve 740 is a bit like driving an IKEA wall unit, so leisurely is its acceleration, so angular its lines."

My former brick saved my life 6/25/03....Volvo for Life
volvorod85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #84
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorod85 View Post
Isnt the volvo master just a 3/4 master? Figure out what size the bore is and replace with one thats the same size bore that fits the hydroboost, done and done
I am not really sure exactly what you are saying, so correct me if I take this in the wrong direction.

The GM master cylinder that comes on the hydroboost has driver side outlets for the brake lines, this makes getting lines to it troublesome. It is also very tall, although I don't think that would be a deal braker.
The next issue I had with using the GM hydroboost (HB), was that the studs to mount the master cylinder (MC) are a couple mm farther apart than the Volvo unit. Again not a big deal, I just used a round file and opened up (slotted) the Volvo MC holes enough to fit.
Step two was creating an adapter - this is really only a small sleeve that fit inside the HB unit to decrease the mount hole down to the size of the Volvo MC cylinder. The center hole in the HB unit is about 10mm larger in diameter than the corresbonding area on the Volvo MC.
Step three requires extending the the HB push rod (the one that is in contact with the MC) because the Volvo MC also does not fit as deeply into the HB unit as the GM OEM MC does.
Fianally, the push rod that attatches to the Brake pedal is to long, requiring cutting, shortining and welding the rod to fit.
None of these precludes the use of this HB unit, all can be overcomed, but after researching (which I should have done first) I found that the Mustang HB and MC units fit much better, are a little smaller and are cheaper (at least in my area).

With the Mustang units, there are 1", 1-1/16" and 1-5/8" bore master cylinders available. So, rather that being limited to the Volvo MC bore size (I am unsure what that actually is) and the amount of fluid that can push, you can attempt to tune the MC to the caliper bore sizes being used. I think for most people the 1" bore will get the job done, but if someone went crazy on caliper size, there would be a few other options.

Personally I am using the 1-1/16" bore MC, I am also running very large Brembo 4 piston front calipers and my rear calipers are the same ones used when upgrading to Brembos on the front of newer Mustangs. This is almost certainly overkill on any street (very occasional race) Volvo, but I got a good deal on the calipers and I was able to make my own adapters to get them to fit.

Again if I got away from where you were going with your post straighten me out.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #85
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

I love your threads. Is the plan to use an electric p/s pump with the hydroboost?
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #86
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
I love your threads. Is the plan to use an electric p/s pump with the hydroboost?
No, I am planning on just running the Hydroboost and the power steering off of a factory style p/s pump.

I looked at some of the electric power steering units available. Most are very expensive, if they are already modified to be a universal fit and I have yet to find one still in a car in the yards.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #87
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Default March 25 2014 update

I got a little done this week, mostly painting the rear suspension parts. I also started installing the bushings. Everything went pretty well, until (you knew that was coming) I got to the rear upper control arms / track arms. The bushings I was sent were at least 3/8" larger in diameter than the holes to put them into. I made a call and was told they should fit and they are supposed to be tight. Well, I can tell you they were never going to fit, so rather than argue and lose more time, I took them down to my favorite machine shop and in about 30 minutes we had them trimmed down to the right size.

I hope I can get the rear end and brakes installed tomorrow or the next day. Then I can get back to work on the front end and I want to start work on the roll bar soon too.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #88
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Default Update

I got the rear bushings replaced and then hung the rearend back in the car.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #89
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Default Gratuitous Other Crap

Also built this for a friend.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #90
Andrewhans
Turbo LS ****poster

Thats a sick bug catcher

60' 1.66
1/8 6.53 @ 113.3mph
1/4 9.99 @ 140.4mph
20psi 11.5deg timing E85
3140lb no driver
3320lb with driver
Andrewhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #91
Daviticus
Board Member

Whoa, Bloomfield. I used to drive through there all the time going between ABQ and SLC, would never have guessed some amazing work like this popped out of there!

Definitely going to keep an eye on this one. If you need any local assistance with MegaSquirt, talk to my good friend Jim @ Clockwork Calibrations in Albuquerque, 505-463-5580. He deals with all things MS and Volvo.
Go read performance subforum for like a month.
Daviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #92
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviticus View Post
Whoa, Bloomfield. I used to drive through there all the time going between ABQ and SLC, would never have guessed some amazing work like this popped out of there!
Small world, I tell most people I live in New Mexico and they don't even know that it is a State. I don't even attempt telling them where Bloomfield is, beyond "it's in the North West Corner, near Colorado" - "Oh, I know where Colorado is."

Anyway, thanks for the complement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviticus View Post
Definitely going to keep an eye on this one. If you need any local assistance with MegaSquirt, talk to my good friend Jim @ Clockwork Calibrations in Albuquerque, 505-463-5580. He deals with all things MS and Volvo.
Thanks for the info! I am sure I will be looking him up.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #93
Mueller
Board Member

What the heck is that big old green cast thing on the workbench?

Nice metal work there!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #94
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
What the heck is that big old green cast thing on the workbench?

Nice metal work there!
Thanks. We were working in my buddies machine shop, so I am not positive, but I think that is a head for a compressor unit. He does a lot of oil field work.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #95
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Default April 18 2014 Update

First I want to thank ScottyD (doucheNozzle) for the camber plates and the advice on making them work with my setup.

Next, I had to machine a few different adapters to work with Scott's Camber plates. Only because I am running Konis and everything he sends out is designed to work with OEM type struts.

So here is what my plates looked like, trying to use the adapters included for the factory style strut.

Here are the different bushings and changes we made to the coilover spring top mount.

And the results of about an hour and a half with a lathe and a really good machinist (not me).

As you can tell from the pictures, I also went from 8" to 10" springs to gain some adjust ability with the struts set at their current location. If I decide to cut off more of the strut I can remove the spacer or make a shorter one and then either use the 8" or the 10" spring depending on how low I drop the front end.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #96
AllisonCustoms
Board Member

Default Long over due for an Update 10-06-14

I still have the car and look forward to finishing it someday. Since my last update, I finished the Chevelle and it was on the Cover of Super Chevy in May of 2014. I delivered it to the owner in early July.

I then started another project for another customer; a 1969 GMC Pickup getting a custom four link rear suspension and airbags all around. This truck is getting close to being finished up, making a little time for the 242.

Then we decided to move to Denver, Co. and now I am swapped again trying to fix up the house to make the move.

With all of that, I have gotten a few things done.

The only problem is, I bought my wheel adapters when planning to reuse a factory style strut setup and now I need a 10mm wider spacer to clear the coil spring.

The new spacers should be here on Monday, then I can get the front tires mounted up.

I am still working on my custom lower control arms for the rear, found I needed to change a few mounting points around. I hope to get those done between now and Monday also.

I also got to meet Wayne Carini from Chasing Classic Cars, while I was at my REAL job.

Last edited by AllisonCustoms; 02-11-2019 at 12:11 PM..
Old 10-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #97
Xovaan
drunk, alone at applebees

Oh man, I'm so glad you're posting this!

I'm trying to have my Konis work with Scotty's camber plates. I'm using the stock strut assembly, not a coilover setup. Would be kind enough to share the dimensions of the top and bottom spacers along with any information you might have for adapting these to a stock strut spring retainer setup? I'd be much appreciative.

Last edited by Xovaan; 10-07-2014 at 12:37 PM..
Xovaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #98
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonCustoms View Post

I also got to meet Wayne Carini from Chasing Classic Cars, while I was at my REAL job.
Very cool! Wanted to get my ATP since I was a toddler. Almost went through LAN's program in Chile to get a type rating in A319/20s in exchange for a few years of my life with them but never got the balls to make the trek. Small regret.

Can't recognize the cockpit from here. What do you fly, cap'n?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #99
Mueller
Board Member

A pilot?

Heck I figured you built cars full time!
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #100
Daviticus
Board Member

Flying the big birds was probably the last thing I'd have figured you'd have as a day job. That is awesome.
Daviticus is offline   Reply With Quote