home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #101
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harribert View Post
Very cool! Wanted to get my ATP since I was a toddler. Almost went through LAN's program in Chile to get a type rating in A319/20s in exchange for a few years of my life with them but never got the balls to make the trek. Small regret.

Can't recognize the cockpit from here. What do you fly, cap'n?
I fly Boeing 737's, we have -300, -500, -700, & -800 models. We were in a -700 the day I met Wayne. I truly can't imagine a better job than mine, but I do love to work on and play with cars and trucks.

The Airbus? I don't know, I kind of like knowing if the other pilot is putting in a wind correction on landing or yanking back on the yoke so hard that I need to be getting scared.
I'll stick with Boeing.

As they say: "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't Going."
At least until my Company decides to buy something else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
A pilot?
Yep, I fly about 18 days a month and run my car business and a Residential/Commercial Construction company on the other days. Although, the Construction business is just about shut down now, one commercial project left and then I am going to shut it down for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Heck I figured you built cars full time!
Thanks, I will take that as a complement!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviticus View Post
Flying the big birds was probably the last thing I'd have figured you'd have as a day job. That is awesome.
Thanks I do enjoy it.
__________________
Jeff - 242 T6

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #102
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xovaan View Post
Oh man, I'm so glad you're posting this!

I'm trying to have my Konis work with Scotty's camber plates. I'm using the stock strut assembly, not a coilover setup. Would be kind enough to share the dimensions of the top and bottom spacers along with any information you might have for adapting these to a stock strut spring retainer setup? I'd be much appreciative.

Unfortunately I just got my car together today, so I don't have any way to measure the parts again. I also never tried to put any of it together with a stock type strut setup.

The best I can tell you, is that the collars that Scotty supplies are too large on the ID to work with the Koni. My Koni's came with a spacer that fit very nicely inside the ones that Scotty supplied, giving me the ID that I needed and I measured Scotty's parts for the OD. I then took those numbers and the parts to my machine shop and in about 45 minutes he had made me new spacers for both struts. We also made the spacers a little shorter than Scotty's to make up for Koni's shorter (than OEM strut) thread length.

I hope this helps. I will go through my old files and see if I took any photos showing the differences.
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #103
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default Update 10-07-2014

I got the Volvo on the ground today, for the first time in nearly a year.



I redesigned the rear lower shock mount on my custom lower control arms and finished the top mounts.





I also installed new lugs and used a different lug nut before putting the tire and wheel on, just no new pictures of that.







This picture shows the ground clearance. I didn't measure it, but I think it is about 4 or 5 inches.


This pic shows the spring to tire clearance with the 20mm spacers and 10mm worth of washers between the wheel and the spacers. (I ordered the 30mm spacers yesterday.)
I could get away with no spacers at all on the rear, but I don't like the idea of disproportionally changing the track widths like that. Anybody done that with a recommendation?


I am also thinking that I may want longer springs, I am only 1.5" from the top of threads now and I think I will want to add a little more pre-load on the springs. I will probably know for sure once this gets driven the first time.
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #104
Xovaan
drunk, alone at applebees
 
Xovaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal (Carlsbad, CA)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonCustoms View Post
Unfortunately I just got my car together today, so I don't have any way to measure the parts again. I also never tried to put any of it together with a stock type strut setup.

The best I can tell you, is that the collars that Scotty supplies are too large on the ID to work with the Koni. My Koni's came with a spacer that fit very nicely inside the ones that Scotty supplied, giving me the ID that I needed and I measured Scotty's parts for the OD. I then took those numbers and the parts to my machine shop and in about 45 minutes he had made me new spacers for both struts. We also made the spacers a little shorter than Scotty's to make up for Koni's shorter (than OEM strut) thread length.

I hope this helps. I will go through my old files and see if I took any photos showing the differences.

Ah man, no worries about measuring again. You don't happen to have a paper trail for the dimensions of the top spacer at least, do you? I already have something in mind for the bottom.

Great thread and cars, by the way. And my dad was actually an ATC at Palomar Airport or 16 years.
__________________
1993 245 + B230FT
2007 Bandit 1250
Xovaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #105
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xovaan View Post
Ah man, no worries about measuring again. You don't happen to have a paper trail for the dimensions of the top spacer at least, do you? I already have something in mind for the bottom.
I haven't been able to find anything useful. We have had movers here and anything I didn't let them take is now lost to the clutter. I imagine most of my notes are already in storage in Denver.

On a side note, I started running searches for the info and came up with this link:
http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300258
Only to realize you started it. - Good luck, if you can't find the info you need, get back with me and I will pull one side apart to get you some numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xovaan View Post
Great thread and cars, by the way. And my dad was actually an ATC at Palomar Airport or 16 years.
Is your Dad still working there?
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #106
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng
 
amerbritcan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eastern Ontario
Default

I think I like the look of the wheels without the centre caps way better. Awesome that this is making progress.
__________________
1990 745tic
1984 244DL (parts)
1989 245 slicktop M47 drift missile- ratty as hell
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #107
Xovaan
drunk, alone at applebees
 
Xovaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal (Carlsbad, CA)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonCustoms View Post
I haven't been able to find anything useful. We have had movers here and anything I didn't let them take is now lost to the clutter. I imagine most of my notes are already in storage in Denver.

On a side note, I started running searches for the info and came up with this link:
http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300258
Only to realize you started it. - Good luck, if you can't find the info you need, get back with me and I will pull one side apart to get you some numbers.



Is your Dad still working there?
Thanks, man. Appreciate it! I'll let you know if I ultimately fail at this, ha.

My dad retired about five years ago, but worked there since 1996.
Xovaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #108
Ju1cE
Board Member
 
Ju1cE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SC Ohio-missing KW
Default

How did you plumb your brake lines from the mustang MC? Pictures would be great!

Also did you weld the orginal vacuum booster clevis to the HB unit? I made a brass bushing that fits into the eye of the HB and was able to use the orginal pin and clip (I might replace this with a grade bolt 8 and couple of lock nuts, little weary of the side load and an E-clip..). The pushrod isn't perfectly staight but I have clearance around the bore through the pedal range. To get the pin in, all I had to do was a pull on the brake pedal a little bit to bend the brake switch mount.

With some custom braided lines the HB unit looks like the car should have came that way! Thanks for the heads up on that unit!

I'm with the other guys, thought you were a builder full time! Awesome work man and thanks for the guidance!
__________________
82 244DL+T - 182k +T, TME springs, full poly, full ipd suspension
84 242GLT - 290k Going back to stock? Maybe for sale soon??
89 285T V8BRICK's Wag 302 Turbo, T5 trans, Freshly re-wired MicroSquirt, still wroking through issues....
The Betrone (not done, but on the road) Captain Bondo's Engine, 8.8, etc.
65 122S- In loving Memory of Dad. 12-3-10 Died in an accident while driving a 244, there are no such thing as a grandpa car guarantee
Ju1cE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #109
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default Parts up for Grabs

deleted - all parts are gone

Last edited by AllisonCustoms; 08-18-2015 at 06:12 PM..
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #110
Ju1cE
Board Member
 
Ju1cE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SC Ohio-missing KW
Default

Well how goes your T6 swap?

I have almost 500 mi on the project car and working out a few of the items on the punch list....

I am running the stock P/S pump and the Cobra Hydro unit and have very poor power assist for steering or brakes. Have you ran into anything similar? Have you done anything to up the flow or pressure?

I did modify the P/S reservoir for a second return line after reading some other forums with very little change. I have some assist on the early portion of pedal travel but not what I would expect and when my tuner drove the car he asked...does this have manual steering?

Thanks!
Ju1cE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #111
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default no update - update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ju1cE View Post
Well how goes your T6 swap?

I have almost 500 mi on the project car and working out a few of the items on the punch list....

I am running the stock P/S pump and the Cobra Hydro unit and have very poor power assist for steering or brakes. Have you ran into anything similar? Have you done anything to up the flow or pressure?

I did modify the P/S reservoir for a second return line after reading some other forums with very little change. I have some assist on the early portion of pedal travel but not what I would expect and when my tuner drove the car he asked...does this have manual steering?
To be honest, I haven't touched the car in more than 6 months. I did buy a flywheel a few months back and I still want to get the car done, just lacking the time.

I have two 68 Mustangs to bring back from the dead and a 66 Chevelle for a customer in Canada that also needs a complete rebuild. Hopefully I can get back on my 242 this winter.

As for hydroboost:
You do need either two return lines or a large line from the HB and allow for a smaller return line from the R&P to "T" in. The R&P uses a fairly high pressure on most vehicles while HB tends to require a higher volume of fluid. I was hoping to use the factory P/S pump and if that didn't work well (which is sounds like you have discovered will be the case) then to adapt a divorced pump from either a GM or Dodge truck. The late 90's thru early 00's GM Heavy 1/2 ton trucks have Hydroboost, but not R&P and the 02 and later Dodge 1/2 tons have divorced pumps with R&P but no HB. I would probably start with the GM pump and use whichever reservoir fits best. I don't know anything about the HB on the Cobra, but that pump may also work well for you with little modification if it does not have the reservoir built on to it.

Are you running a whiteblock?
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #112
PNW760
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Any updates on this? It would be cool to see more T6 swapped 240's stateside!
__________________
I'm just here for the soccer moms and grandmas
PNW760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #113
RvolvoR
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW760 View Post
Any updates on this? It would be cool to see more T6 swapped 240's stateside!
I’m in Portland and have one I hope to have on the road by April....
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #114
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default

Good Day All!
I've been getting a few PM's recently on this project and realized I hadn't been back on the site in a looooonnnnnnngggggg time.
So, I think an update is in order.

The move to Denver got reversed due to a terrible housing market in Bloomfield, NM and I couldn't / wouldn't sell my house at what the market was demanding. That said, we like where we live so I went to Denver (4 trips) and loaded everything in my Enclosed trailers and hauled it all back. I rearranged my finances to make commuting to Denver every week easier and I build a 3800sqft shop on the corner of my property here in NM.
It's snowing as I write this and the new shop does not have heat yet, so very little work has been completed out there.

The two Mustangs have been moved into the new shop and are in Cold Storage for a while longer, with nothing new happening in years.

The Chevelle for my Canadian Customer should be in the April 2019 Issue of Chevy High Performance and was a Booth car at SEMA 2018 - It has a few things to be wrapped up and will be getting delivered to Canada this Spring.

I started a YouTube Channel: Allison Customs' ProjectCarTV Please come take a look and Subscribe! This is about the only form of social media I have been keeping up with and the channel will have all of my projects on it eventually.

The VOLVO - still sits and is waiting my attention. It hasn't moved in more than 2 years and I've done nothing to move it forward. - Sorry!!

There is the Update, I truly appreciate that so many of you are interested and I will hopefully get back on my own projects in 2019.

Some pics to prove I'm not completely lazy:










Last edited by AllisonCustoms; 02-11-2019 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Trying to fix pic links
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #115
Vol242vo
Board Member
 
Vol242vo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Default

Bitchin’ Ride.
__________________


Derek - 1980 242
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #116
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NW Georgia
Default

Nice 66 Chevelle! Guessing that drivetrain is LS'd and all the rest. Whose suspension front and rear? Its been now 10 years since I built my pro touring 70 Malibu.... still rocking the original white paint (2 owner car). I always enjoy the A bodies......
__________________
Project "cheap thrills" build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...67#post4211467

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #117
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor
 
Hank Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The neighborhood with the ******* guitar player.
Default

I'm sure the car is buried but any chance you have pictures of how the oil sump looks with the motor straight up? I've been thinking of going vertical but not sure about how I want to mod (or need to) the pan.
__________________
Hank Scorpio is from the Simpsons. You can call me Doug ;)
Will trade guitars/guitar parts for go fast goodies or stuff I need. Just PM.
www.kauerguitars.com the second best way to upset neighbors and alienate people.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:56 PM   #118
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Bitchin’ Ride.
Thanks!
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:00 AM   #119
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Nice 66 Chevelle! Guessing that drivetrain is LS'd and all the rest. Whose suspension front and rear? Its been now 10 years since I built my pro touring 70 Malibu.... still rocking the original white paint (2 owner car). I always enjoy the A bodies......
Art Morrison Chassis
LT4 crate motor
T56
9”
335 rear on 13x20s
285 front on 10x19s
Tucked Bumpers
Trimmed drip rails
Air ducts for rear brakes
Side exit exhuast
Ridetech air suspension
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 AM   #120
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I'm sure the car is buried but any chance you have pictures of how the oil sump looks with the motor straight up? I've been thinking of going vertical but not sure about how I want to mod (or need to) the pan.
I’ll see if I have any pics, but no mods to the Pan were required. Things are close to get the engine down as low as possible, and it is easier to get the engine in and out if you drop the crossmember.

Jeff
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #121
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NW Georgia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonCustoms View Post
Art Morrison Chassis
LT4 crate motor
T56
9”
335 rear on 13x20s
285 front on 10x19s
Tucked Bumpers
Trimmed drip rails
Air ducts for rear brakes
Side exit exhuast
Ridetech air suspension
Are folks still using the "Johnny Joints" for the rears? The Currie parts were all the buzz 10 years ago. Sounds like a solid drivetrain.... engine management by GM?
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #122
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor
 
Hank Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The neighborhood with the ******* guitar player.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonCustoms View Post
I’ll see if I have any pics, but no mods to the Pan were required. Things are close to get the engine down as low as possible, and it is easier to get the engine in and out if you drop the crossmember.

Jeff
Cool! I wasn't sure if the pan being slanted down hill was going to be an issue or not.
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #123
Vol242vo
Board Member
 
Vol242vo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonCustoms View Post
I am planning on offering up the tap and chase to anyone who wants to do the same trick. I have seen some other loaner/rental tools going around and I think I would have to get about $15 dollars per user, so that I could eventually offset the cost of the tap. Anyone interested?
Although this is an older post, I would very much be interested in renting your tap! Much better than cutting and re-welding!
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #124
AllisonCustoms
Board Member
 
AllisonCustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Mexico
Default Thought you might like this.

I found this while attending SEMA 2018







There was another Volvo getting photos taken at the same dry lake bed as we were doing the photo shot for the Chevelle, I’ll try and find some pictures of that one as well.
AllisonCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #125
The Full Banana
not yet good enough
 
The Full Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, WI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Cool! I wasn't sure if the pan being slanted down hill was going to be an issue or not.
If mounting vertically, pan ground clearance would definitely be a concern for me at my ride height. Even mounted with the designed slant, the pan just barely tucks in, protected by the crossmember. I'm curious to see what bottom of the pan looks like relative to the crossmember.
__________________
-Tom 1980 242 T5
The Full Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.