• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Routine B230FT head gasket replacement

8587turbo

Just to be on the safe side when driving a 25-30 year old car, is it wise to change head gasket even there are no signs of leakage? I've seen them fail anywhere from 125-250k miles. Is head gasket age considered a major factor in failures ?

I don't consider them wear items, unless you overheat the motor or really abuse the poor thing it should be fine.

Yes, they do wear out,overheating and abuse will cause them to fail. My wife's 240 wagon went 550K before it needed a head gasket, started leaking coolant out the side of the block. With a bi/metal engine the head expands more than the block and causes the gasket to wear out. BTW we have always run Mobile 1, when I looked in the bores I could still see the factory cross hatch in the bores, It now has almost 600K miles on it, body rust is going to kill it first.

Just to be on the safe side when driving a 25-30 year old car, is it wise to change head gasket even there are no signs of leakage? I've seen them fail anywhere from 125-250k miles. Is head gasket age considered a major factor in failures ?

I would say that maintenance + age is a factor.
Cars that never had coolant changed, or are running on straight water will have more corrosion in the water passages of the head gasket.

In my experience. I've needed to do the head gasket after 20 some years and high mileage. Usually a fail to the outside of the block from the coolant passages. Anywhere from 250k to 350k miles. I've done the head gasket on every red block that I've driven for a long time.

Yes, they do wear out,overheating and abuse will cause them to fail. ....

With a locally driven vehicle, I'd just monitor [place your palm over fill tank hole, when cold, and increase engine RPM...got pressure, you got a problem...too much pressure, and engine plug(s) might blow out...or on 740s/940s, heater valve may rupture, and leak water].

If a high mileage Volvo traveling cross country, I'd consider it.

I have replaced or renewed (cleaned professionally) radiators and fan clutches, which many owners neglect.

Back