• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230 n/a mild performance mods

Not sure on the ratio yet, I'll attempt to clean the tag off tonight.

Called the machine shop yesterday and they'll shave the head for $50.

Next race is in two weeks so I suspect the engine mods won't happen before then. If I can source a locker I may try to get that under the cr before then and save engine mods for the last race or over winter.
Would throwing a B or K cam in quickly do anything or is it a waste of time?

If you ha a K cam laying around or found one for $50 and milled the head 060, it works pretty damn good...

But this is TB-land home of follow the follower so it seems people want stupid money for K-cams..Like $150..
For that price get something--maybe bite the bullet and get same time from same place as I'm getting 2 others...right at $200 plus postage..

Didya say "sixty thou" to the machine shop?
Usually they want whatever $xx for an quick "kiss to clean" 004-006 skim..
You're asking for 10 times more than they usually do and that takes a bit more time..>>
Locally I've "carved off" around 045 on a ordinary mill then gone to auto machine shop for the last 015 cause its set up to be 100% square and plumb and gets the finish rexactly right--right tool for the job, knowwhatImean,Vern?

All great input as usual.

Ursan, So far the car is all stock except a glass pack and side exit exhaust. Well that and the m47 that's obviously not factory in a 740.

Culbertson, how much was the locker? How was the install process?

John, that's a great point. I didn't mention how much when I got that price. I'll have to call back in tomorrow. What cars/years/engines did the k cam come in? I've been searching bit and I'm not finding any solid info.

Ursan, So far the car is all stock except a glass pack and side exit exhaust. Well that and the m47 that's obviously not factory in a 740.

John, that's a great point. I didn't mention how much when I got that price. I'll have to call back in tomorrow. What cars/years/engines did the k cam come in? I've been searching bit and I'm not finding any solid info.
K was stock in B23E on other markets than Norte Americano cars.. So not very frequently found, hence the cachet of "ooooooouuuu rare! must be worth a million dollarz"

Ok, I have a few b18/b20's and a couple b21's. I guess I need to pull some valve covers. Cams are marked on the end right? Easily visible?

Mr.'Bone, how much was the locker? How was the install process?

The locker was ~$240 on eBay. It took about 1-2 hours to install at a very casual pace. You have to pull the center section out, which means the brakes and axles have to come off as well.

Ok so the following upgrades seem to be coming to the top: (listed in order of greatest gain)
Engine upgrades:
1) Shave the head .040 to .050 and install an aftermarket cam. Estimated cost: $320-360
2) Shave the head .050 to .060 and install a k cam. Estimated cost: $280-$310
3) Install K cam. Estimated cost: $100-$150
4) Install A or B cam. Estimated cost: $40
5) Adjust timing. Estimated cost: $0

Other upgrades:
1) Aftermarket locker. Estimated cost: $250-$280
2) Volvo locker. Estimated cost: $100-250

If you shave the head that much there will be slack in the belt, which translates to the cam timing being off and adjustable cam gear being a solution.

Are you planning on shedding weight or is that not allowed by the rules.

There's a lot of weight just for the interior bits. You only need one seat, correct?

If you shave the head that much there will be slack in the belt, which translates to the cam timing being off and adjustable cam gear being a solution.

So you can fix the timing with an adjustable gear, but I assume you still need to remove that slack, right? If this is beyond the range of the tensioner, how do you do this?

It really depends on which class we decide to be in. Aftermarket cams and lockers would change our class. So at that point I would gut the interior and replace the rear glass with lexan/plexi. However I would like to stay in our current class for the next two races. So we can swap stock Volvo gears/cams into the car for now.

I think I've heard of people using a Pinto 2.3L T-belt?
Nope, not even close. *EDIT to remove personal attack. You know better.

VB242 said:
I'm pretty sure it's the 2.0l pinto engine, I have one somewhere.
2.0 pinto belt for square tooth. Kyle found a Hyundai timing belt that's 1-tooth shorter for the round tooth setup. I'll see if I can get the part #.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have a few b18/b20's and a couple b21's. I guess I need to pull some valve covers. Cams are marked on the end right? Easily visible?

Ok this is not the case... looks like you have to completely remove the cam from any of those motors to see the letter engraved on the end.

Also I guess I'll have to pull the dif cover to see what gears it has. Rust took out both tags sadly.

Back