• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Noticed I had pre detonation So I disconnected boost... . found out why.

Did I likely destroy my engine?

• Total voters

VolvoEmpire

So I noticed knock and rattle followed by unusual oil pressure leading to excessive oil loss on my way back from my 3 hour trip to Kansas city. Disconnected the boost, and took her easy over the next few days while I tried to solve my precognition issues. While flushing out the radiator, double checking my timing and pushing my idle air screw all the way in today. I saw something that made my heart drop.

The knock sensor had simply fallen off the block. . . (must have forgot to torque it) Just dangling there not sensing any of that sweet sweet knock.

ALL symptoms have disappeared, though the engine isn't sounding as totally great as it did before. Runs better than my old NA block at least.

SO heres the poll. Am I likely going to be okay from this? or Is this probably going to lead to a catastrophic failure in the near future.

If its a strong possibility, How do I check for internal damage before I move forward?

Compression test followed by leak-down test.

Hopefully not dead.

Painful lessons stick with you. Bet a knock sensor is never left loose again. Check... Recheck.

Dangling sensor would make the ECU think it's knocking all the time, sort of a safe mode. No worries, just rock it with sensor back in place and torqued to propper 25Nm.

Back