home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Fjergus
Board Member

Default For those wondering if they should pull the trigger on a set of IPD sway bars...

...do it. Just do it. I just sprung for a set of 25/25's on my 240, and I'm seriously pissed at myself that I didn't do it years ago. I got them used, but they're worth every penny even new. Yes, it really does make that much of a difference. Just do it.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Cwazywazy
Board Member

But I could spend that $360 on a lot of donuts...
Cwazywazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

I don't like cheaters....cheaty cheatersons...
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
Ju1cE
Board Member

When accounting for ease of install, not requiring alignment, and the minimal draw backs to ride quality (try to avoid going over speed bumps at an angle) I consider them the single best suspension upgrade for most applications!

One note- if you need to put down power in hard corners consider 22 rear (or even just a turbo bar) as the 25 rear would let my inside tire spin at the auto-x...even when it was just a NA B21!
The Betrone (not done, but on the road) Captain Bondo's Engine, 8.8, etc.
65 122S- In loving Memory of Dad. 12-3-10 Died in an accident while driving a 244, there are no such thing as a grandpa car guarantee
Ju1cE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
SquareD
An Anomaly

No one buys ipd sways from ipd. We all find them used on here or at the junkyard. /TB

But yes, they are a must-buy for those wanting better handling.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, SSQV BOV, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
No one buys ipd sways from ipd. We all find them used on here or at the junkyard. /TB

But yes, they are a must-buy for those wanting better handling.
+1
Junkyard all day.
I currently am hoarding all the ones i find that arent blue LOL. Typically ill pass on a set of billy struts or blue bars weekly. Theyre easy to find in the yards. Found a TME catback a while back.

Junkyards, FTW.
Powder>Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
I restored a set of IPD bars once. Hardware replated, new bushings from IPD and even got them to give me 2 new stickers. Then the powder coater decided to bend me over that time and charged me $200 for the 2 bars.
Next time I'll just buy new ones....

Old 02-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
Fumomike
Board Member

Naww i installed rear and front sway bars on my 90' 760 and it wasn't that big of a difference. I even bought the brace, so like 400$ worth of stuff. Its better definitely but not extreme where i'd say you need to.
Fumomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #9
bugjam1999
Board Member

How much do junkyards want for sets of ipd sways in the USA? I realise that's a very open ended question.

There aren't any in junkyards over here in the U.K., I'm sort of thinking of buying a set new... but if a second hand set over there was cheap enough that even after shipping it was worth sending them over I might consider that.

Cheers
bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

its not.. shipping them over the pond does cost more than buying a new one over here ;)
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #11
bugjam1999
Board Member

Fair enough- cheers
Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
Wilford Brimley
enjoys the beetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumomike View Post
Naww i installed rear and front sway bars on my 90' 760 and it wasn't that big of a difference. I even bought the brace, so like 400$ worth of stuff. Its better definitely but not extreme where i'd say you need to.
Wat. I have the ipd rear, double front sways and cherry lower brace and it made a hell of a difference.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=316428 91'744T .57 t3/t4, big ic, greddy type s, 55lb/hr injectors, bosch 044, tloa ecu/ezk, 3"amm, rsi stg 3 cam, ttr cam gear, top mount header, 3" exhaust, kevlar tbelt, e-fan, 22 psi, intrax springs, cherry turbo brace, ipd rear sway, dual front sway bars, bilstein struts, camber mod, accum mod
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #13
57plymouth
Board Member

I wish I lived in an area where there actually are 240's in junkyards. It's rare that we get any 240's, much less upgraded parts on one.
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #14
photoman327
Board Member

Got news for you All just trying out big sways, that is just part of it. Strut braces will make a even bigger Improvment. Upper and lower and I tried all this in stages as I could afford to buy some. Now I want the best one out there, the one that Ben does.
photoman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
VeroDubs
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjam1999 View Post
How much do junkyards want for sets of ipd sways in the USA? I realise that's a very open ended question.

There aren't any in junkyards over here in the U.K., I'm sort of thinking of buying a set new... but if a second hand set over there was cheap enough that even after shipping it was worth sending them over I might consider that.

Cheers
I paid $150 for iPd front/rear sway bars, adjustable torque rods, adjustable panhard, koni shocks, and front strut brace. (Then an extra $200 for the wheels and tires)

Old 02-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #16
bugjam1999
Board Member

Nice haul! I guess you were really lucky? $150 would make it worth shipping the parts over to the U.K. Rather than buying them here... even with shipping that would be a lot less.

No chance of finding parts like that on a junkyard 240 here, be lucky to find a 240 full stop to be honest...
Old 02-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
I restored a set of IPD bars once. Hardware replated, new bushings from IPD and even got them to give me 2 new stickers. Then the powder coater decided to bend me over that time and charged me $200 for the 2 bars.
Restore it to aftermarket? /RWC
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #18
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeroDubs View Post
I paid $150 for iPd front/rear sway bars, adjustable torque rods, adjustable panhard, koni shocks, and front strut brace. (Then an extra $200 for the wheels and tires)

+1

This is about bay area avg also. i can get a set of bars w endlinks and bushings out of the yard for less than 40.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #19
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post

His powder coat work looks good tho... Just saying. Although 2 bars at 200 it shoulda been 24k powder or something....
Old 02-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #20
bugjam1999
Board Member

Ok, that's much cheaper than the uk... Bay Area? My older brother lives in San Francisco, sounds like I should send him on a mission and pay for his excess baggage next time he visits the U.K.

Where are these yards full of 240s laden with aftermarket goodies? Any close to San Francisco?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #21
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder>Paint View Post
His powder coat work looks good tho... Just saying. Although 2 bars at 200 it shoulda been 24k powder or something....
I used to do a lot of stuff with them. They are usually REALLY cheap. Always really fast, half the time it's 1-2 days and I have to go pick it up. This was the 1st and only time the price was high, so I just ate it and considered it making up for all of the other cheap deals they gave me.
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #22
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjam1999 View Post
Ok, that's much cheaper than the uk... Bay Area? My older brother lives in San Francisco, sounds like I should send him on a mission and pay for his excess baggage next time he visits the U.K.

Where are these yards full of 240s laden with aftermarket goodies? Any close to San Francisco?
For Sale is your best bet.

Pats Parts Blowout [parts added 2/9 - ipd sways, konis, braces]

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #23
Owsley
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumomike View Post
I don't know the suspension on the 760, but on a 240 they make an extreme difference - well, at least the front one does. I put a used turbo sway on the front of my old 240 and it was like night and day, and for the better.
I know it's hard to believe that someone wants (on turbobricks) to make things work the right way. My extensive search shows this hasn't happened since 2005 when there was a ziptie shortage and Tbrickers were forced to buy and use the correct parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
This is the only forum in existence where people get mad that their cars are worth more than 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysalt View Post
I don't know how to do anything, help! Whats the quickest easiest dumbass proof way to fix this besides taking it to someone who knows how?
Owsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #24
Powder>Paint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Nah man. Pick and pull FTW. Just go. lots of bay area yards, lots of volvos, blah blah blah. just walk the yards w tools. youll find stuff.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #25
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder>Paint View Post
Nah man. Pick and pull FTW. Just go. lots of bay area yards, lots of volvos, blah blah blah. just walk the yards w tools. youll find stuff.
Ya but dude's in England, and asking a friend to help him out.
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote