home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 AM   #1
dirtbag240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default unknown gauge light

he folks so I'm brand new here, I just got a 1989 245, and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what this light was connected too/ what it meant, anything is helpful here's a photo

dirtbag240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:19 AM   #2
alschnertz
Board Member
 
alschnertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CT
Default

Choke (actually fuel enrichment device) is on.

You could always check the owner's manual. They're available online and have lots of good information about the car if you are not familiar with its operation.
__________________
Differences of opinions should be tolerated, but only if they're not too different. - Sharon Craig
alschnertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Kenunot
Board Member
 
Kenunot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Default

In what part of the world does an 89 245 have a choke?
Kenunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
freevolvos
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: hillpoint
Default

Maybe it's an early cluster?
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
cleanflametrap
Noob
 
cleanflametrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: near baltimore
Default

The cluster shows 20kph sitting still.
__________________
-Art
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Kenunot
Board Member
 
Kenunot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Default

I think OP is probably a troll so good for you.

I saw this in US owners manuals up until around 1985



Which I would interpret as "Warning you are in Canada".
Kenunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
dirtbag240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

hey guys hate to break it to you not a troll,actually didn't notice the 20kph standing still thing till this morning,and yep I am definitely from Canada, I would have looked on the manual but alas I do not have one.

and I'm definitely a novice here but why would a fuel injected motor have a choke?
dirtbag240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
Kenunot
Board Member
 
Kenunot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag240 View Post
and I'm definitely a novice here but why would a fuel injected motor have a choke?
Why would you put milk in a bag or have 2 official languages?

Canada is very mysterious.
Kenunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
cleanflametrap
Noob
 
cleanflametrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: near baltimore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag240 View Post
hey guys hate to break it to you not a troll,actually didn't notice the 20kph standing still thing till this morning,and yep I am definitely from Canada, I would have looked on the manual but alas I do not have one.

and I'm definitely a novice here but why would a fuel injected motor have a choke?
Well, it is a very good question. I'm just as interested in the answer. I mean, the fuel injection needs the same thing a carbed engine needs for starting and warmup, but we only call it a choke as metaphor. I doubt Volvo connected that light to the ECU of an EFI motor to alert you to the warmup function.

Instead, I get a strong hint the car may have been owned by someone before you, and given its age, accumulated some modifications. I think that's what happened to you. You got an earlier cluster.

Here in US (check my location) the 88 and earlier had the choke light in the third position so if an 88 cluster got stuck into an 89 (maybe to make it sell) the Check Engine Light (CEL) no pun intended would appear at the choke light. To see if this is your situation, briefly remove the 25A blade fuse under the hood (you should by now know this fuse) and put it back in. Check with the key on and start it up to see this choke light turned off.
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Kenunot
Board Member
 
Kenunot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Default

Canadian cars with a B21A have a carb. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323599

It would have to be an earlier cluster with a later electronic speedometer. Or the year is wrong. The VIN will tell you everything https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_200.shtml

Last edited by Kenunot; 02-17-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Kenunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
dirtbag240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

there was a definite cluster change as he mentioned he did the big clock small tach swap if that helps put any insight to what it may be?
dirtbag240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
cleanflametrap
Noob
 
cleanflametrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: near baltimore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag240 View Post
there was a definite cluster change as he mentioned he did the big clock small tach swap if that helps put any insight to what it may be?
Don't hold back now...
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #13
dirtbag240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

"Airbox has also been improved to increase airflow and i've done away with the preheating flapper and wax filled mini "piston" that is a common to fail item that can overheat and damage the air mass meter."

just a copy and paste from the original ad, other then that nothing else I know of that's been done to the engine or cluster,though there may be a fuse issue as the lighting behind the cluster will sometimes not turn on after a particularly rough patch of road?
dirtbag240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
cleanflametrap
Noob
 
cleanflametrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: near baltimore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag240 View Post
"Airbox has also been improved to increase airflow and i've done away with the preheating flapper and wax filled mini "piston" that is a common to fail item that can overheat and damage the air mass meter."

just a copy and paste from the original ad, other then that nothing else I know of that's been done to the engine or cluster,though there may be a fuse issue as the lighting behind the cluster will sometimes not turn on after a particularly rough patch of road?
You bought the car from a TBer.
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #15
Kenunot
Board Member
 
Kenunot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanflametrap View Post
Don't hold back now...


Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag240 View Post
though there may be a fuse issue as the lighting behind the cluster will sometimes not turn on after a particularly rough patch of road?
That is a separate issue probably the fault of the dimmer switch.

Have you decoded your VIN so you know what you have yet? Then you can determine what is supposed to be there. The weird thing about an earlier cluster isn't the funny light but the fact that it is lit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenunot View Post
The VIN will tell you everything https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_200.shtml
Kenunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
cleanflametrap
Noob
 
cleanflametrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: near baltimore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenunot View Post
Have you decoded your VIN so you know what you have yet? Then you can determine what is supposed to be there. The weird thing about an earlier cluster isn't the funny light but the fact that it is lit.
I guess he's at work or school. Can take suggestions but not act on them yet.
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #17
dirtbag240
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default






I may be foolish but I can't seem to de code this with the link you guys gave me, any input?

and yes currently in school so a bit stuck on being able to actually do things right now
dirtbag240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #18
Kenunot
Board Member
 
Kenunot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag240 View Post
I may be foolish but I can't seem to de code this with the link you guys gave me, any input?

and yes currently in school so a bit stuck on being able to actually do things right now
lol no, that would be my bad. That was the first result when I googled "volvo vin decoder" and it is not for US and Canada cars.

YV1AX8850K1810685

YV1 = it's a car
A = 240
X = 3 point safety harness
88 = B230F
5 = 5 door wagon
0 = Check code US/Canada
K = 1989 model year
1 = [Sweden] Torslanda Plant VCT 21(Volvo Torslandaverken) (Gothenburg)
810685 = chassis code

from https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicl...olvo/VIN_Codes

Last edited by Kenunot; 02-17-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Kenunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #19
hiperfauto
Board Member
 
hiperfauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Default

I checked the wiring diagrams and it seems the choke light connection (connector 32, pin 3) was re-purposed as the check engine light on later clusters. Try clearing the codes and see if it goes out.
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #20
bobxyz
Board Member
 
bobxyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Default

That's the rare "Choke PO" light. We all wish we had one at times....
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #21
freevolvos
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: hillpoint
Default

88 would be Volvo Chrysler ignition no c,e,l light?
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.