Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #251
quillc
yv1a.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiww View Post
I sent you a PM!

Thanks!

Interested to see the solution for the mount.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 PM   #252
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillc View Post
Thanks!

Interested to see the solution for the mount.
Will show it when its done. Haven't started it yet...

Anyways, finally this crappy winter brought some snow. Still not the best, but i could finally try this beast out in the snow. Had some fun, currently on summer tires, but whatever.
DSC01270 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Doing donuts around the pole, pretty fun!

DSC01259 by Péter Gede, on Flickr

Car handles great, open diff ruins experience a bit in this half-wet snow, but thats the weather's fault.
I'm curious how would it handle on some proper new winter tires though! Straight line accelerating can be funny, but other than that its pretty predictable to drive as it is.
Also I ran without anything heavy in the trunk.

Last edited by petiww; 02-17-2018 at 10:40 PM..
petiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #253
petiww
Board Member

It was snowing constantly for 4-5 days, went for some snow fun but had nothing on the roads... I said what the heck, try some wet roundabouts. It does them nicely even with open diff

Last edited by petiww; 02-26-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Old 02-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #254
okoye
Board Member

some proper sliding. should definitely stiffen suspension though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #255
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
some proper sliding. should definitely stiffen suspension though!
Yeah, felt good after all these years.
Well, car definitely has some bodyroll and bouncyness, but I like it! Also the roads are usually crap and I don't want to make it less comfy than it is.
I want to add larger or double sways in the future though, that should help making it a bit more stable in corners.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #256
petiww
Board Member

Random S90 at the restaurant where my gf works:
20180227_114635[1] by Péter Gede, on Flickr

I love driving it in this weather (between -5 and -15 Celsius), plenty of cold snow on the road, no slushy crap. It's funny to start from a redlight, everyone takes it easy and slow, and I'm fishtailing forward.

Went on some snow fun again, it was awesome!
20180228_003935[1] by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Got stopped by police when we was heading home. Fortunately I felt like i shouldn't do full width drifting on a four lane street (it was soo tempting), so they only saw me sliding onto a bridge from a distance. I got some usual advices that i should drive according to road conditions, I was like
Old 04-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #257
petiww
Board Member

Finally had some time to fiddle with my front seats. It always irritated me how much gangsta lean was there, and how much my back hurt occasionally because of it. Yeah, I drove more than 6000km this way.
I knew the back frame was straight, but the adjustment needs seat removal and partial disassembly. Today I had some spare time so i pulled both seats and got them straight. Also loosened the seat belt strap in the seat a bit.
20180405_212901 by Péter Gede, on Flickr

Went for a quick spin, holy hell, it feels like a different car now!
Also repaired this little safety switch under the passenger seat to annoy occasional passengers:
20180405_204505 by Péter Gede, on Flickr

Oh, and I've been working too since mid march, and its pretty nice to earn some money finally. Some of it will go straight into brownie in the near future.
Other than these my brother and I started fixing up an Audi Coupe for a guy, because nobody would touch an old K-Jet car which was already rebuilt very poorly. Loose bolts all around randomly, wiring funkyness, stuck distributor, ****ty rubber hose routing and sealing... After we properly put back the intake manifold and sealed all air leaks the car just wouldnt start because it got sooo much fuel it flooded itself.
Fixed up analog idle control too, its a pretty neat feature. I actually got in love with the character of this 10v 5cyl K-Jet engine! I already started looking for a D24/M46 bellhousing to adapt one into the blue mockup car.
Anyways, car is running decent now, no smoke, no stuttering, no high idle, runs as it should!
20180330_182950-ps by Péter Gede, on Flickr
First test drive after we got it running decent. Front bumper was also fubarred but we wanted to try it that day without messing with it, so we just rigged up the plate and the turn signal bulbs.
[/url]20180330_183024-ps by Péter Gede, on Flickr
This degree wheel was pretty helpful to understand its ignition more and set it up just right.

Last edited by petiww; 04-05-2018 at 04:46 PM..
Old 04-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #258
petiww
Board Member

Had some time to wash off winter crap from the underside of the car:
20180406_162402 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
It was so restful to wash all the dirt and salt off... Also decided to wash the engine bay the first time, because why not. I was surprised still how pretty it is!
20180406_180602 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Exhaust side looks so empty.
Hood bottom needs some elbow grease to get all the burnt dirt off, but after that its definitely going to be presentable.

20180406_180702 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #259
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Chicks dig head lamp wipers.

Life begins at 10PSI.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:25 AM   #260
12david34
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Chicks dig head lamp wipers.

Said no one,ever...
Old 04-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #261
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Old 04-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #262
petiww
Board Member

Rear end finally got a treatment I wanted a long time, 25mm spacers and 25mm longer wheelstuds. I did my wheelarches with this in mind, so from the beginning the rear wheels were deep in the arches, looking a bit more weird than an usual 240. My car has only half cm lips, and the rear of the arch is pushed more outwards to gain more room and look okay with wider track.
So finally it looks like this from the back:
20180427_192522 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
20180427_192546 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Old 05-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #263
petiww
Board Member

Took the car on a 400km roundtrip to Budapest and back to have fun and to meet with Mano and bring some garage stuff home from his buddy.
20180430_115741 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
20180430_120010 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Could not stand the ugly S tailpipe which got a silver powdercoat and absorbed every dirt particle over 1 year... Its basically black now.
Fabbed a turbo style tailpipe from laying around pipes, I think it looks miles better.

I guess the stuff we brought home was around 200kg, it completely filled the trunk with no space left. I was dumb enough to cut 1-1 coils from the rear springs just before the trip, so the rear got pretty "low":
31513933_1977487772321846_710027273067036672_ns by Péter Gede, on Flickr
I was a bit worried that the rear may sit down on the bumpstops on hard bumps, but had no problems the way back. Also it revealed to me that some rake is definitely needed for the car to look okay, and this -1coil from the rears makes it just perfect combined with the front -1,5/-2 coil. At least when its unloaded.
I've tried V70 mk1 rear springs (see the last post), those were good. I may go that route once i buy diesel front springs to stiffen the car up just a tiny bit. Having flat ends on top perches with oem volvo springs which make the car lower and stiffer is nice.
20180416_151606 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Old 06-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #264
petiww
Board Member

Update time!
Although there isn't much to report, but had some great time with the car at least!
To prepare for the annual national Volvo meet i just wanted to accomplish some aesthetical fixes.
As the last time I washed the engine compartment i was amazed how nice it can look, well, minus the underside of the hood.
Some caked on dust, little bit of rust, and mainly limescale was on there. I went with limescale remover, and got most of the stuff off from the surface.
Before:
20180526_100057 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
After:
20180526_163108 by Péter Gede, on Flickr

As the other i wanted a full polish on the car. A painter buddy tried polishing one part of the hood a little bit to see what can we achieve. It can shine! But damn it has so much iron/rust particles buried in! As I saw the IronX idea in Uncleknucklez 242 road ripper topic (thanks Duder) i decided what the heck, google it. And I could buy it directly from Carpro Hungary.
This was the result, on the boot:
20180603_151114 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
It became much much smoother afterwards.
Unfortunately painter buddy could not do the car in time, but will do it once...

Then the meet day came, we gently did the 120km trip to Budapest without much rain, then when we were finally there at 11am it started to pour... Despite the bad weather many cars were out there, but it wasn't the best weather to have conversations with others... At about 1pm it slowly started to clear so we attacked the dragstrip as they just started to open it.
Had a great time there, at first we had traction issues by the wet track (brownie only in first gear haha) but mine still ran a 18.6 at first with only my gf sitting on the right.

Credit goes to Viktor Nagy!

Oh, the grey car was on dyno a month ago or so, and did some pretty nice numbers. Stock B200FT setup on a B19A block, but works wonderfully:

Credit goes to Liza Geszterédi!

Brownies best time was 18,07 with only me in the car and a few spare parts and tools in trunk and a fullsize spare. Grey cars best time was 16,6. I thought the A cam makes a bigger difference but at least it drives much nicer. Trap speed was 3km/h bigger than last year.
We are satisfied with the performance of the grey car, its a solid setup which can surprise ppl.

What comes next? A random cheap 745 automagic which sat for 10 years, (hopefully) A/C conversion, full polish, valvetrain shimming & husher swap, oil change, PS flush... And a few trips here and there.

Last edited by petiww; 07-25-2018 at 12:48 PM..
Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #265
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

So, on the graph, the top curve is torque? And the two in the middle are HP? Looks like a terrific torque curve.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #266
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
So, on the graph, the top curve is torque? And the two in the middle are HP? Looks like a terrific torque curve.
Terrific? Why do you think that?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:17 AM   #267
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Nearly flat over 3k rpms? Isn’t that desirable?
Old 06-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #268
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Nearly flat over 3k rpms? Isn’t that desirable?
Well, its still a stock 13c turbo with a T cam, so its definitely not the most powerful out there at high revs. But i think its fun to drive, with the instant torque down low.
Drag race revealed it lacks a "bit" of top end though, but after all we need to keep its original block in one piece.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #269
StanleyR
Board Member

Awesome work OP!
I remember travelling to the UK with my parents in the late 80s. These cars were EVERYWHERE!
I recall finding the headlight wipers, grill GL emblem, TV screen glass headlights, flat hoods, two colored signals etc. especially interesting since we didn't get them in N America.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:44 AM   #270
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Dig your ride. Maybe a cam change away from high rpm glory?

My B21FT install is coming up on a year in the making. Next time you’re in PDX swing by and help me out.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #271
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
Awesome work OP!
I remember travelling to the UK with my parents in the late 80s. These cars were EVERYWHERE!
I recall finding the headlight wipers, grill GL emblem, TV screen glass headlights, flat hoods, two colored signals etc. especially interesting since we didn't get them in N America.
Thanks!
Yeah, must have been awesome! All "we" had back then in Hungary were just eastern block cars with a lot of smoke.
Like on this photo from 1983: http://www.fortepan.hu/_photo/display/22511.jpg
Fun fact, good amount of those Ikarus 280 buses are still around and running well...

Quote:
Dig your ride. Maybe a cam change away from high rpm glory?

My B21FT install is coming up on a year in the making. Next time you’re in PDX swing by and help me out.
Haha, will surely help whenever i get there.
Yeah, maybe a cam change, and a bigger turbo away from fun top end.

Meanwhile my brick also got a snail, its pretty tiny but held up for a few days :
20180709_171650 by Péter Gede, on Flickr

I've been just daily driving the thing in the past month as the family car is under renovation. 22km city driving a day, making 21-23MPG reliably. I love driving it!

Had an opportunity and luck to buy a set of hydra rims with center caps. I was after these wheels since day 1, and now i finally own a set. Fortunately they run true, they werent repaired and they have original paint with a few little chips here and there!

I wasn't sure about what size tires i need, but I was playing a lot on tiresize.com and checked local "craigslist" ads for used tires frequently. As hydras are just 6.5J wide, and I wanted a decent fit without sidewall swing, I finally decided to go with 195/55R16. They are pretty close to stock 185/70R14 tires in diameter, so i now have an accurate speedo, too.
20180721_094638 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
20180724_172115 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
I think they fit pretty nice on the rims, and they are a lot more stable than the 195/60R14s on the 5.5J wide GT rims. Grips and corners better, tramlining is worse, but I was expecting that.

This would have been much better in a wagon though, but we did make it!
20180713_204831[1] by Péter Gede, on Flickr

Soon the 440'000km service comes, already wrote an A4 paper full with things to do on it...
On a sidenote i bought a 740 wagon (B230F/ZF22HP with LH2.2) which sat for 8 years or so, playing with it too whenever i have time... No title, no definite plans currently, but its interior is almost flawless, it has an early front end. Would be cool to own a late model 940 td with early 740 front conversion, and tdi in place of the inline6 nonsense, as a DD. Would do something like this, it looks pretty nice: http://www.dailyturismo.com/2015/04/...740-wagon.html

Last edited by petiww; 07-25-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Old 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #272
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Man I love this color and that front end

Keep up the good work!

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:51 AM   #273
dorvin
idunno

Man, I've loved reading through this thread. Wonderful work, and beautiful car!
Old 09-08-2018, 05:36 AM   #274
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
Man I love this color and that front end

Keep up the good work!
Thanks! Yeah, these old colors still rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvin View Post
Man, I've loved reading through this thread. Wonderful work, and beautiful car!
Thanks man! Appreciate it!

Update time... Well, nothing serious happened to the car over the summer, been here and there, had a great time.
As the family opel wagon is under renovation, and we wanted to fix our little wood storage's roof, I borrowed a big trailer to haul home those four toothpicks... It was slightly illegal but looked pretty weird.
20180805_101951ps by Péter Gede, on Flickr

Car is still living the dd life for now, meaning it sleeps in a garage but spends the days outside. Trunk had a leak from the beginning, and now it finally bothered me so much to do something about it:
20180807_202606 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
20180807_205313 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
20180807_205327 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Brand new scissors cut 6mm thick closed cell epdm foam, smeared in silicone grease. Butyl on the chassis joints. Its leak free since then!

Fought with speedo in these months, now i can say 99% of the time its problem free. First i finally found out why the stepper motor needed shimming. Previously somebody (or me ) put in the stepper motor wrong, and its shaft made a little punch under the proper guide hole. So when the shaft is in place, it gets slightly stuck in the deformed hole...
20180808_181639 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Swapped in another plastic case, now the shaft moves back and forth free and nice.

Also found why the speedo needle would occasionally get stopped around 100 or 120kmh while accelerating. It was just some tiny rust particle on the magnets, so when the needle reached that point, the little clearance made it stop there. With a slap on the cluster it would jump up and show the actual speed again...

Found also the lack of signal to LH ecu. On the speedo pcb the signal track is only coupled if something is soldered in one hole. The track is isolated at that hole if its solderfree...

Still had some ittermittent problems, meaning it would not count for a while, or being rapsodic. Swapped in new capacitors everywhere on the speedo board, including the plastic case film capacitors. It transformed the speedo firmly, no rapsodic situations, just on-off mode, usually when i start the car.
I suspected the germanium diode, swapped in one from another pcb, and now its much much better. Only experienced one off situation once in two weeks. Could not recognize the problem without this little diag tool my bro soldered in:
20180902_225049 by Péter Gede, on Flickr
Voltmeter shows needle voltage, led shows signal after germanium diode. When the car is stationary, the led should be dark. When car starts, it should flash proportional to speed.
Oh, and i bought a nice tachometer also!

Tacho revealed how crappy these low end vibrations are. Under 2000rpm it shakes the car and can be seen on the mirror. The early hourglass shaped torque rods with original bushings are just too firm... I thought I'd give the late style torque rods a try. How good that i did that! Its resonance free over 1500rpm, and much nicer to cruise in the city. No unnecessary shifting to avoid crazy resonances...

Engine started to make some valve ticking noises, so i went ahead, removed hushers and shimmed them. Few valves were out of spec... Now its all good again, no valve noises, almost feels like the idle is a bit smoother.
20180822_202011 by Péter Gede, on Flickr

20180905_060936 by Péter Gede, on Flickr

Last edited by petiww; 09-08-2018 at 05:50 AM..