home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #301
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
I like the more finished look of having all the covers on the engine, besides it's super easy on these engines to just pull the cover. Nothing like a Honda where you gotta pull all the drive belts and crank pulley just to get the timing cover off.
Yeah this. It's a 10 second job to pull the two T30's and the 10 (or 12)mm front cover bolt.

Looks half put together apart like that.

Jordan
Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #302
Broke4speed
Board Member

It'll never win any prizes at a car show, I'm ok with that . I still have all the parts, if I ever change my mind.

I tackled the driveshaft spacer today, and I think I've got the right dimensions, so I'll whip it up on the lathe at work tomorrow. Fingers crossed it fits!
I had a leaky banjo at the rack so I got some new sealing washers. I'll find out tomorrow morning if it worked, lol.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #303
Broke4speed
Board Member

Spacer success.

It's machined to fit the male driveshaft flange on one side, and the female transmission flange on the other, so it's perfectly centered. I love having access to the metal shop at work...not to mention working with an engineer who is also a huge car guy, lol.

As it turns out though, since I was worried that a spacer might not be the best way (it isn't, I know, but just hold on...) to do it, I googled them. It seems the off-road guys use them all the time when they lift their trucks. There are even a bunch of off-the-shelf toyota ones, which I kinda wished I had known before I went to the effort of making one, lol. I could have bought it and had it done weeks ago. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Tomorrow, I may wire in the transmission controller. Depends on how motivated I get.

(Yes, the car is DISGUSTING underneath. That's what 20 years of Krown oil undercoating looks like. Not a stitch of rust anywhere though )
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #304
Broke4speed
Board Member

Started wiring in the transmission controller the other day...and had a button failure. It peeved me off so I went looking for other options. Stopped by the junkyard today and grabbed a cruise control stalk from a 2005 Impreza, which is the same as the one in my DD 07 Forester. I really like how it works, so I decided to try and modify it to control my shifts.

Turns out that it's pretty easy. I had to re-solder one connection inside the switch, since the pull-towards had to run through some diodes, which prevented it from making continuity when pulled, but that's it. I removed any other action, so it can only work in pull-towards for upshift and push-down for downshift, to prevent accidental shifts, but I'm not worried. I have never had any issues with it in my DD (and I love my cruise control, lol).

I should be able to mount it right below the wheel where my right hand can access it easily.

Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote