home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #201
evolvo67
Board Member

Craig, I used a pair of these Jag motor mounts on my car and on my buddies '52 Willys Aero. There really easy to install and very versatile:

http://jollyrogersmotors.com/store/p...ir-Jaguar.html

You don't have to buy them from these guys, they just had a good pic.

I think I would consider loping off the pass side of the oil pan so you could use a flat plate to cover the opening rather than trying to build a fancy shape to clear the LCA. It looks like you could make up for lost volume by opening the front of the pan and adding volume closer to the front cross member. Or not
Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #202
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Hilarious. I used to be a jag guy...and I think I have a set of those mounts in my parts hoard but never thought of them. I'm happy with the leaf spring eye mount style mount, but not the 90A Shore hardness. I can pour polyurethane and use the existing mounts to make a mold. It'll be fine.

I could come forward with the pan. At this point, I'm down about 1/2 L to a litre so my guess is that the pan as it sits will still hold about 5 L - I'm fine with that. With the oil cooler, it's plenty of volume. I will add some trap doors to the sheet metal baffle to further assist in corners to prevent oil starvation.

1966 Canadian (B5234T, C4 up front, Supra out back and a nut in the middle) http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003
1981 242 (B230FT, LH 2.4...and a few other things)

YouTube channel covering Canadian build https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsx...n3CiBQFd4rMyXw
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #203
evolvo67
Board Member

Personally, I hate those leaf spring style mounts. I find them really hard to line up when placing a motor. Having to get them to slide between the side plates means having to have the engine higher or farther to the side than the mounts which can cause a lot of interference issues. With the Jag style mounted flat you can have the engine just a bit higher than it's final position and easily set the engine onto the mounts. A lot less fiddling around IMO

If you're gonna be thrashing around on track days an oil accumulator is a good idea. You know how they work, don'tcha professor?
evolvo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #204
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo67 View Post
Personally, I hate those leaf spring style mounts. I find them really hard to line up when placing a motor. Having to get them to slide between the side plates means having to have the engine higher or farther to the side than the mounts which can cause a lot of interference issues. With the Jag style mounted flat you can have the engine just a bit higher than it's final position and easily set the engine onto the mounts. A lot less fiddling around IMO

If you're gonna be thrashing around on track days an oil accumulator is a good idea. You know how they work, don'tcha professor?
I'm OK with the mount at this point. I can change it later if needed.

Yup - fully up to speed on accumulator's. It's a good idea and simple to implement. Really no good reason to not have one.

As far as track days...well, that's the idea - but of course this is Western Canada so my options are super limited. Southern Alberta has no tracks at this time so I autocross. Now, that said, I'm willing to head on down to the PNW and join you guys for a run or two. I mean...if there's still good coffee and beer.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:48 AM   #205
evolvo67
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
I'm OK with the mount at this point. I can change it later if needed.

Yup - fully up to speed on accumulator's. It's a good idea and simple to implement. Really no good reason to not have one.

As far as track days...well, that's the idea - but of course this is Western Canada so my options are super limited. Southern Alberta has no tracks at this time so I autocross. Now, that said, I'm willing to head on down to the PNW and join you guys for a run or two. I mean...if there's still good coffee and beer.
Until little donny puts a tariff on coffee (covfefe) we'll have plenty of that and lots of local micro brews!! See ya' next spring (fingers crossed)!
evolvo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #206
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

The latest episode is now up. This time - engine mounts.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #207
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Rolling along - Anti Roll Bar video.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #208
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Trying to get a few jobs cleaned up. Thought I'd start with finishing the rear end sheet metal. I honestly need a break from some things and I enjoy sheet metal work. The weather is nice and I can get the priming done to at least hold things until we're ready to roll on the entire car.

But just like everything - I get started and find a little rust. It didn't take long to fix - but it did pull me off other tasks for a bit. I'll fill you in later on the rest when it's all done.

In the mean time - rust repair 101.

Cut out the old stuff - use whatever is fast (air chisel was my weapon of choice). I didn't take pictures - it was just a little surface rust, that wasn't surface rust. The rear window leaked - that's the cause as far as I can tell. Wheel well rusts due to window leakage.

Nice.

I'm not worrying about the doubling panel or the outer because I'm going to change this panel out when the fenders get done.

Funny enough - this car is very solid on the inside. The old flanges just needed a little scrub and they're fine. Quick shot with some zinc weld through primer.

Patch panel - messed up punching the one hole!

A few plug welds and a little seam and we're all fixed up.

Grind it back to finish it off.

And a dab of primer.

I'll be epoxy priming this area later. The zinc is there as there will be a closing panel when the new outer wheel well goes on. I'll just tape the are when doing the rest.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #209
stick70
All the gauges

Great work man, I'm taking notes so I can rebuild my front geometry and steering at some point in the future.

On the oil pan front, I cut a similar amount (maybe more) off of my sump and have had zero oil starvation or pressure loss issues. Mine isn't a race car by any means, but I've done some pretty decent cornering in the rockies with it. The dipstick is stock 960, and I can get right at 6 quarts in it going by the full mark on the stick (not including filter). I'm using soft rubber mounts too and I haven't had any rubbing issues, clearance is pretty tight in a couple of areas.

My engine is a PITA to remove too, I really need to notch the front cross member for sump clearance during install. The pan is just so big there's only one way to get it in there.

Last edited by stick70; 08-14-2018 at 11:38 AM..
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #210
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

I'm trying to get caught up with my video backlog. I'm going to try to get a few shorter episodes out here in the next month to get caught up.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #211
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

The start of the oil pan modifications.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #212
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Still rocking and rolling right now.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #213
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Absolutely loving the "Ride of the Valkyries" music......... what is the smell of victory in the Throttle Stop Garage?

Also loving your fabricating..... I just may have to subscribe!

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #214
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Absolutely loving the "Ride of the Valkyries" music......... what is the smell of victory in the Throttle Stop Garage?

Also loving your fabricating..... I just may have to subscribe!
LOL - thanks. You'll see what the traditions are when we finally roll this thing out of the garage. My wife and dog do not approve of most of the smells that emanate from the garage.

Let's see if I can get 100 subscribers!
Old 09-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #215
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

I sure can appreciate your challenges with this build...... optimize the suspension, then fighting for every bloody inch when fitting the whiteblock, what with the original 1950's suspension location in that classic sheet metal. It certainly might have been easier to try and graft a 960 crossmember into the Amazon, but with minimal front suspension improvement.

If it makes you feel any better, recently HOTROD ran a story about a guy fitting a full dressed LS into those confines..... however I doubt he went to your lengths on the Vette front suspension and steering (memory says they were dirt track building guys who just feel in love with the Amazon wagon metal). I'm pulling for you Craig, and very, very impressed with your fab skills. Now I'm heading downstairs to MIG together some 409SS exhaust, stretching my skills a bit further (using 309L wire and TRI-mix, so I've got that going for me).
DET17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #216
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Here's the latest installment. I'll do up a post later for those that would rather that form of content.

So - something is now DONE.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #217
Old Iron
I Roll

This is a hell of a build, can you come do mine next!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #218
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
This is a hell of a build, can you come do mine next!
Thanks - trying to keep the details and quality very high. Still so much to come together before it starts to look like a car again.