home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-21-2014, 03:11 AM   #26
qwkswede
faster than you think

I spent some hours on the suspension this weekend. I gave the rear pivots the Wagonmeister treatment. I replaced all 4 upper torque link bushings and the 2 big lower trailing arm bushings. Everything was replaced and upgraded to polyurethane bushings bought from David Samuels aka Wagonmeister. The old bushings did not look that bad but there was alot of popping and clunking in the rear. Its all gone now, very solid feeling and it doesn't step sideways in corners if you hit a bump.

qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #27
qwkswede
faster than you think

I took a couple days off waiting for some parts to arrive and work on the garage. I picked up this old compressor that I hope will improve all kinds of air tool work in the shop. The thing is heavy and a sonofabitch to move.I need to pick up some rubber feet to isolate the noise from the floor and finish wiring it up. Damn thing takes up 1/2 a parking space in the shop, but should be a nice upgrade and last for ever.

Its an American made unit. The pump is Westinghouse, and they also saw use on train air brake systems. So tons of parts available if it ever needs a rebuild.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #28
ShadowofBob
Revived...

Sweet looking compressor there. Did the old craftsman bite the just or wasn't cutting it anymore?

Nice to also see my old +T parts live on.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:15 AM   #29
qwkswede
faster than you think

I wanted more air power for sanding and spraying. It was time for an upgrade.
This car needs a +T so bad, I was glad my dad stashed all the parts away after wrecking the white wagon. That was sad.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 AM   #30
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

How old is the tank? Might consider getting it checked.
She was pretty damn hot. And she folded my clothes and made me breakfast in bed
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood
15 Golf TDI 6 Speed

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:02 AM   #31
qwkswede
faster than you think

Progress has been a been a bit slow lately, but this week I found a few minutes to get the oil pan ready for turbo drainage.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

you should do the 16v up-pipe setup with mitsu turbo at around 17psi.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #33
qwkswede
faster than you think

Hmmm. I do have a spare 16v head here somewhere. . . Bah, don't encourage me. I need to keep this one simple so I can get back to the Amazon.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #34
adomz
Volvo 486 owner :D

mmm... 16v heads all around... i want one!!!

=->Adam's Joint Creations<-=

adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #35
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkswede View Post
Hmmm. I do have a spare 16v head here somewhere. . . Bah, don't encourage me. I need to keep this one simple so I can get back to the Amazon.
it would be simple...
Old 11-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #36
qwkswede
faster than you think

How do you feel about the up-pipe compared to Yoshifab adapter plate to bolt on a 90+ manifold??
Old 11-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #37
qwkswede
faster than you think

I got the pan off and had a look inside. The oil pump seals were intact, so I didn't touch them. I did a quick visual and wiggle inspection of the rod bearings and crankshaft thrust. It all seems solid and ready for boost.

The freshly painted sump pan with drain hole was installed and I began assembling the car around the motor again. I am not convinced that it is easier to drop the pan to do this. Pulling an engine in a 240 is ppretty straightforward. Dealing with the subframe, steering, and all the mount stuff from underneath is a pain in the ass.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #38
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
How do you feel about the up-pipe compared to Yoshifab adapter plate to bolt on a 90+ manifold??
I've bee pretty happy with the adapter plate for my 16v. A hell of a mart stable then a built manifold regarding build quality.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #39
qwkswede
faster than you think

Certainly cast iron seems the way to go. Its a slick solution as long as you don't mind the port shape mismatch, and somewhat anemic flow paths in the 90+. But it seems a perfect compromise for reliability and daily driver happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
I've bee pretty happy with the adapter plate for my 16v. A hell of a mart stable then a built manifold regarding build quality.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #40
qwkswede
faster than you think

I made some solid progress this weekend. I probably will not make my goal to have the car turbocharged by Thanksgiving. But I'm trying. Unfortunately I am missing a few items still, and also I need a few more nights of work.

I dropped the NPR intercooler in place, then realized that the NA fan shroud is really deep. I guess I'll need to find a turbo one. I never realized they were different. I have some brackets coming in the mail from a friend.

Turbo is installed!

And I got a downpipe assembled too.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #41
shaved240
Board Member

you get those intercooler brackets and other goodies?
1988 244: b230f+t, M46:PARTED
1995 960: SOLD
1994 945: SOLD

on the hunt for the elusive zf diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungledorifuto View Post
ship me that m46 for 40 bucks and im game
shaved240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #42
qwkswede
faster than you think

Not yet. Hopefully today. Ill be needing them soon.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #43
qwkswede
faster than you think

Default Slow progress on the Turbo install.

The holiday weekend wasn't as productive as I hoped, there were lots of family and friend reunions to attend taking away from garage time. But I got a few hours in the garage, and I made a junkyard trip to gather a couple hoses for the intake tract. The weekend was spent concentrating on plumbing issues.

The turbo oil drain came out looking decent. It is 5/8" push on hose and some AN ends top and bottom. It drains into my weld fitting in the side of the oil pan.

Fitting the mass airflow sensor and an air cleaner was a bit of a challenge. I notice that some people have used 740 turbo air boxes and remove the large window washer reservoir. I really need to keep the washers working, so I came up with this cone filter setup for now. I might do something cleaner later if I can gather some parts that work together.

Some cut and paste rubber intake pipes are working for the MAF sensor mounting for now. I'll need to rethink this soon so I can install a diverter valve.

Here is the current view.

I have a couple tricky items to finish before I can start her up.
1. I'll build an entire exhaust system from front to rear. I have the tubing and muffler for a nice 2.5" homebrew setup.

2. I need to relocate the MAF sensor wiring to the passenger side. Anyone have some tips for that? Cutting the plug and adding wire to wrap around the back of the motor seems the obvious choice. Fishing the current wires out of the harness and rerouting 'sounds like major grief that I would like to avoid.

3. Finish up a couple more plumbing items with the idle valve and crankcase vent hoses.

I think it will be another week or two before I am running positive pressure.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:23 AM   #44
qwkswede
faster than you think

The stock NA fan shroud was going to be a problem with the intercooler mounted in the nose. So I modified a 960 electric fan and bolted it to the radiator.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #45
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I went over the radiator with the maf wiring on my 240 years ago.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #46
qwkswede
faster than you think

I'll probably do that too. My daily driver has been apart for 2 weeks. Thats not very appropriate for a daily driver. I need my bike racks and big trunk back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
I went over the radiator with the maf wiring on my 240 years ago.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #47
qwkswede
faster than you think

Thumbs up

I'm almost done with my 244 turbocharging project. For me it wasn't the 24 hour B230F+T install that some speedy Brickstas claim. The car has been on stands for about a month, and I have been working 2 or 3 evenings per week on the project. I would estimate about 40-50 hours into the job. I did do a couple things beyond the basic bolt on turbo kit to add some time to the project. Things like the custom exhaust, an electric fan conversion, and wideband AFR gauge install. I want to drive it this weekend if everything goes well.

Here are some recent photos from the garage. I have the exhaust system mostly done now and just need to bolt it back on. It is built from 2.5" mild steel tubing, a Borla muffler and magnaflow catalytic converter. I have a couple of stainless band clamps around the catalyst so that I can remove and replace it easily. I sprayed the mild steel and welds with Por15 high temp exhaust coating to keep the rust away. The total parts bill for everything was about $300.

The complete photo album for the 244 is here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11782...Nu9p4T0vru6zgE
Old 12-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #48
qwkswede
faster than you think

It runs and drives! And it makes a nice turbo sound. I can't say it is fast yet. I'm running basic wAstegate pressure for now. But it is MUCH better that the NA power. It doesn't feel dangerous when crossing traffic now.

The engine dies sometimes when I close the throttle. And worse if I close it quickly from boost. I'm not sure what is causing that. But I'll fack around with tps and MAF orientation to see if That helps.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #49
LloydDobler
Board Member

Awesome, congrats! I want to hear it, although I don't think I've heard a bad Borla exhaust.
'05 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car
LloydDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #50
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
It runs and drives! And it makes a nice turbo sound. I can't say it is fast yet. I'm running basic wAstegate pressure for now. But it is MUCH better that the NA power. It doesn't feel dangerous when crossing traffic now.

The engine dies sometimes when I close the throttle. And worse if I close it quickly from boost. I'm not sure what is causing that. But I'll fack around with tps and MAF orientation to see if That helps.
Won't help. You need to make absolutely sure that the idle switch on the throttle body is set perfectly.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote