home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #176
RoadRacer4Life
Owner: DeathWagon

Stupid question but
A. anything in the intercooler that could be blocking airflow?
B. sure the throttle plate is opening all the way?

I'm running out of ideas unless the turbo is bad I don't have any other ideas..

-Sam
90 245GL Build thread 2JZ coming soon...
91 245GL Dumpin Doughnuts Battle Wagon Chumpcar
93 245GL Street Beater
RoadRacer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #177
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Dead rat perhaps crawl into the intercooler before he died? lol

It really doesn't add up does it. For some of the others on here I'd be more suspicious of something being skipped over, but I think Ken has been around long enough to know better, like most of us in this thread...
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #178
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

yeah throttle not opening all the way might do it. more common than you would think.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #179
qwkswede
faster than you think

I have not made it through the entire list yet. I have a few more things to check, and just haven't gotten to them.

I do have an odd feeling about a clogged intercooler. Its an NPR, and it had normal exterior crustiness. Who knows what it sucked on before I got it. A restriction somewhere seems like a good guess. The engine makes a weak weird weezing sound, like it is having an asthma attack too. It is hard to describe, but my mechanic friend said the same thing after driving it. It sounds like it isn't getting air. Geez. Maybe I should remove the cone filter I have on the intake and run open turbo for a trip around the block.

And after messing with the wastegate rod on Monday, ( I tightened it a few turns) I think the problem may be worse. So I really need to get a look inside the turbo and make sure the round puck is intact and working correctly.

Last edited by qwkswede; 03-18-2015 at 04:57 PM..
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #180
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Maybe cobble a pipe together and just bypass the NPR as well?
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #181
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

check the tb as well, that'd be an easy fix if that's all it is.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:03 AM   #182
qwkswede
faster than you think

It is the first day of spring, summer wheels and lowering are done. I parked the car at the store and it picked up a nice report card.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #183
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkswede View Post
It is the first day of spring, summer wheels and lowering are done. I parked the car at the store and it picked up a nice report card.

[IMG][/IMG]
Haha, isn't that awesome, I drove my 1991 245 Old Iron to work once in the last 8 months, that one day I had five separate thumbs up on the highway drive to work!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #184
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

That's one of the main reasons I miss my 242. Even haggard and scary, constant thumbs ups and parking lot compliments. One day I'll have another....
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #185
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Vacuum numbers at idle will vary due to cam, spark and other tuning parameters.

That said vacuum should increase from idle to 2000 - 2500 (no boost)(in neutral).

If not, it is constipated.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #186
qwkswede
faster than you think

Good suggestions here for troubleshooting things. I still haven't fixed it 100%, but the car does run better in spurts. My catalytic converter is quickly disintegrating, and making more noise than ever. I suspect that enough has broken loose now, and the exhaust flows better. I get power and quick spool on occasion. I'll get a new catalyst installed soon.

But another more pressing issue came up. I tried to load the car against the brakes a little it and launch with a couple psi boost. First try, and WHAM BANG! It sounded like there was an angry elf under my car with a sledge hammer. I limped the car along for a couple days, it was obvious that the engine or trans was contacting the car body under torque. It was also sitting down on the steering rack making steering feel quite interesting and vibratory.

Got under there today to assess the damage:

I had 1 diesel mount in my spares, I have a second on the way now. I hope/think Diesel mounts should be strong enough for this application.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #187
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Volvo brand? If yes, yes.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #188
qwkswede
faster than you think

Hmmm. The one I found was the passenger side, and it was an MTC brand. I don't know where it came from. Might be 10 years old. I'll order the drivers side tomorrow. I'll get a Volvo one if they are available.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #189
qwkswede
faster than you think

The diesel mounts are in. I'm not sure I like them. There are no noises or heavy vibes. But the engine feels like it is bouncing on a trampoline. When cranking the engine to start, the front of the car bounces up and down 1/2" now. Very weird.

On another note. I bought myself a birthday present. I got some IPD antiroll bars in the 25/25 sizes. Nice improvement, but not so noticeable when the car is already using heavy springs. It is dramatic on a stock spring Volvo, not so dramatic on my car now. But it was needed. It feels a bit more locked in through the corners now.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #190
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Everything all smooth with the microsquirt?
Old 04-04-2015, 11:59 PM   #191
qwkswede
faster than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Everything all smooth with the microsquirt?
It is running great as far as MS is concerned. I'm Driving it every day lately. I tried an experiment with midgrade 87 octane last week that went poorly. These high compression B230f motors detonate like a can of marbles if you don't run premium apparently. But I was able to dial the timing way down and reduced boost to 10ish psi, and made it safe. Probably not a bad place to be with the tune for daily driving. But it is noticeably more responsive with hotter timing.

My catalytic converter finally disintegrated , so I ran a steel rod through the cat pipe to push the leftover clogging chunks out. The exhaust note got louder, and now the turbo spools much better. It feels like a proper Turbo Volvo now. I need to see if I can make it run like a nice modified Turbo Volvo now.

I have a bigger turbo on the shelf, (ebay 50 trim) but I'm not sure I want to run it. I'll see where I can get with more boost and some careful tuning first.

I haven't tuned an NA +T before. Timing is lower than I would have expected. I'm running about 190kPa full boost now. So you can ignore the rows above that. But this is where I am with the "safe" tune.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ignition_244.jpg (208.4 KB, 314 views)
Old 04-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #192
qwkswede
faster than you think

I found a possible cause for the slow boost buildup. I have a pretty large crack in the turbine housing. In this picture you can see a line at the far side of the wastegate port. That wraps pretty far around into the neck of the turbine housing. The catalytic converter was the biggest culprit, but this seems like it could be contributing too.

I'm going to mill the exhaust manifold flange flat so I can run a standard T3 turbine hsg. I dropped the header off at the machine shop today. Generic T3/T4 on the right. I just rebuilt it with a 360deg thrust, new bearings, and new seals everywhere. It is still a junky Chinese Garrett Copy, but it worked pretty well on my old 740. So I'm going to give it another shot.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #193
Dammit
+8cm

Interesting, I wonder if a cracked housing could be why my turbo wouldn't boost.

Anyway - hope you get it sorted!
Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #194
towerymt
the real Towery

45trim wheel in a 50trim housing is my guess. 240 T3 used a 45trim wheel, 740 used a 50trim wheel. both are .42 a/r housings and look the same. gives VERY slow boost response.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #195
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Could a .63 housing in a 740 T3 result in the same sluggish response? Mine is mildly atrocious.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 AM   #196
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by harribert View Post
Could a .63 housing in a 740 T3 result in the same sluggish response? Mine is mildly atrocious.
No? Same turbine wheel used in the 240 T3 and the 740 T3.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #197
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Easy way to determine if you have a turbine wheel / housing trim mismatch is to measure diameters.

Check the inside diameter of the turbine housing outlet where it is still cylindrical. That diameter should be roughly 1.0mm larger than the exducer diameter of the turbine wheel, as measured at the trailing edges of the blades. Tricky if the wheel has an odd number of blades but you can get a rough estimate by eyeballing with calipers.

Any more than 1.0mm difference between the two diameters (i.e. 0.5mm radial clearance between wheel and housing) and you should start suspecting a mismatch.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #198
qwkswede
faster than you think

After seeing this I took a good close look at the T3 I was running. It looks all original, and the compressor and turbine clearances were very tight and a matched set. Also the turbo is actually amazingly tight in the bearings. Its done well for having a million miles on it. I don't know where it came from, but it has been on 2 +T cars for me and my dad.

More progress:

I took my exhaust manifold to the machine shop and he carved off the protruberence. I then opened up the outlet on the manifold to match the T3 flange a bit closer. I also port matched the head end of the manifold.

So I bolted up the Chinese made 50 trim. And immediately my daily driver became a project again. The T04e compressor housings are quite large for the area between the engine and fender on a 240. It looks like it will just fit, as long as the engine doesn't torque too far over toward the passenger side. The wastegate setup is another story. The actuator that came with the chinabay turbo doesn't clear the inner fender. So I'll have to fabricate something custom.

Anyone have suggestions for getting an actuator installed?It seems like it won't be a bolt on item.

The wastegate actuator dilemna...
From 92 Volvo 244
Old 04-09-2015, 02:35 AM   #199
cosbySweater
Board Member

drill holes in the t3 actuator bracket on the left, thats what i did with my china bay turbo, let me see if i can find pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:16 AM   #200
qwkswede
faster than you think

The angles were tricky with the large T04e compressor housing. So I had to make a bracket for the wastegate actuator and shorten the rod considerably.

From 92 Volvo 244

And I had to remove the compressor housing to wiggle the turbo down between the fender and motor. I made a few scratches in my pristine inner fender paint.
From 92 Volvo 244

Last edited by qwkswede; 04-10-2015 at 01:17 PM..