Old 02-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #26
moise
Board Member

j'ai excatement la meme que toi de 1998 en 2.3
moise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:33 AM   #27
JerryJS8
der Junge

Any updates? How well does the car drift?
- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:05 AM   #28
MrKrabs
Board Member

Time for an update I guess then!

Since last time I've mainly been putting miles on the car and upgrading what I break along the way.

-Updated my whole suspension, got rid of my chopped front springs with diesel ones with new Monroe inserts. Same treatment for the rear but with Koni Yellow's and HD springs. Rides and corners much better!

-My cheap lambda sensor pooped itself so replaced it with an OEM Bosch sensor from a mustang 5.0 and wired it in the stock Volvo connector. They're the same sensor but with a big price difference (guess which on is cheaper).

-Added a USB port with an integrated voltmeter on a switched circuit wired straight on the battery for the back seats, so my rear passengers have a place to charge their phone. Also for me when camping and sleeping in the back. That way I don't have to turn the ignition on for it to work and it allows me to see the charge of the battery so I avoid draining it.

-Overhauled the whole handbrake assembly with new parts everywhere.

-Last but not least charged the AC. I've never been in a car that blows this cold now!

All of this was in preparation my big "Eurotour" that I do every summer with my friends for downhill skateboarding competitions.

This year I got the upgrade of a roof box for a less cramped cabin as their's 4 or 5 of us in the car with all our gear!
I camp in the car for a month. As of right now I'm writing this from the back of the car in the middle of Italy.
Never thought I'd make it this far because last week I blew up my differential dropping the clutch at ~5k rpm hehehehe
I was lost somewhere in Czech Republic with my beloved broken Volvo.
Luckily enough, Sir JerryJS8 had a 4.10 1041 lying around 3 hours away from me. So I borrowed a mates car and drove to Germany to pick it up.

24 hours later it officially replaced my dead 3.73 1031 and I was back on the road!

Suuuuch a relief to know I could continue the tour keep on racing.
Hopefully things work out from now on.

Oh and going from 3.73 to 4.10 really helps this little 2.0 when it's not in boost, makes for a much more enjoyable and "peppy" car when in town. And I've only gained about 400 rpm in 5th on the highway which hasn't affected my fuel consumption to badly. With the added benefit of the G80 for better skids hehehe
Thanks again JerryJS8!

MrKrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #29
Mbeas96
Board Member

Love the wagon! I've thought about switching to 4.10 for that reason, driving in town...but I told myself the highway would suck. And didnt do it.

My build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=340910
Mbeas96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:42 AM   #30
MrKrabs
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeas96 View Post
Love the wagon! I've thought about switching to 4.10 for that reason, driving in town...but I told myself the highway would suck. And didnt do it.
I just did 3000 km's of highway driving across europe and it's definitely OK with the m90. The extra driveability in town is 110% worth it I'd say.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #31
JerryJS8
der Junge

Wait, what? You had a car lift you help you out?

Your pictures make me want to do a road trip as well, but not in the heatwave we've got going on right now! As far as your sportiv activities, do you happen to have any helmet cam footage of your downhill competitions !?!?!?

But very glad the swap ended up also being an upgrade
Old 08-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #32
MrKrabs
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJS8 View Post
Wait, what? You had a car lift you help you out?

Your pictures make me want to do a road trip as well, but not in the heatwave we've got going on right now! As far as your sportiv activities, do you happen to have any helmet cam footage of your downhill competitions !?!?!?

But very glad the swap ended up also being an upgrade
Hehe yes I chickened out of doing it on my back in a grass field. Was a good decision though!

Here's a quick video or my friend who travelled in the 940 this year. This was last year's event, but give's you a good idea of how it works!
https://youtu.be/aVzDyswTAgo

And honestly, I'd encourage anyone to take their brick out for a roadtrip. Drive somewhere you've never been before. You actually build such a strong bond with the car. Awesome times!

Last edited by MrKrabs; 08-22-2018 at 05:10 AM..
Old 08-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #33
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Wow, I did a loooot of skateboarding when I was younger, but it was nothing like that. Didn't realize you guys were doing downhill. That's intense.
soclosenotnear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #34
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Here's a quick video or my friend who travelled in the 940 this year. This was last year's event, but give's you a good idea of how it works!
https://youtu.be/aVzDyswTAgo
I grew up racing enduro/motocross and doing 100+ foot jumps, but that crap is just crazy!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #35
MrKrabs
Board Member

Got rear ended, car's totalled, fml

I was slowing down because of the car in front was turning into a side road, the dude behind came full steam under the pouring rain, wasn't looking ahead, rammed me into the ditch where a tree kindly stopped me.

The chassis in the rear is collapsed, the driver side doors struggle to open, rear one won't at all and the back seats where folded down during the crash, now they're like an inch away from being able to latch back up. Sad.

I guess it did it's job, considering how fast the dude hit me and how totalled his car was, the fact that I didn't get hurt is nice.

Now, onto new Volvo projects!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #36
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Glad everyone is alright and sucks about the car. It seems like quite a few of the boards' cars have been dripping off like this lately. Such a shame.
soclosenotnear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #37
thessejway
Wannabe TBer

That really sucks
Especially when it's due to someone else's stupidity
Old 11-04-2018, 02:45 AM   #38
JerryJS8
der Junge

Son of a punk rocker, that sucks! But it's only metal, glad you're unharmed.

Still got a nice doner car there
Old 01-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #39
MrKrabs
Board Member

Time for take n°2 !

After waiting for five months for the right example to pop up for sale, I travelled to the other side of France to pick this one up.

1997 Turbo 940
B230FK
M90L2
1041 G80 Rear axle

She'd been thoroughly run in, but had solid bones and was of the right spec so I brought it back home. So glad to be driving a brick again!
After all I already had all the parts needed to make it into my roadtripping, tail happy, sleeper weapon of a camper for all my skateboard related trips.

A few things needed to be addressed first.
The speedo was intermittently working, mainly not at all though. Stole the cluster from my totalled 940, a recurring theme in my work as you'll see, and swapped the parts I needed.

Next issue, the engine wouldn't build any temp in it during these cold winter months. I stole a floor mat from the rear to stick in front of the radiator on my drive home after purchasing the car to try to get it to warm up a bit. Worked nicely, but once home I pulled out the thermostat and sure enough it was broken.

Once again it's broken predecessor supplied the fix. I had put in a new thermostat weeks before the crash.

Two of the door speakers were torn, threw in the ones I had in the old wagon. Some basic 6 inch two way speakers that barely fit underneath the stock covers without alot of trimming, but they fit!

Took care of other small issues, driver's seat lumbar support not working, no reverse lights, rear window washer spray mal-functionning etc.

Once all that was done and I had a solid working Volvo I gave the whole car a quick detail.

Before:

After:

At this point I've still done no actual maintenance on the car. Because I have so many parts to install on it I'll just be doing it all at the same time. Effectively doing a stage zero as well as performance mods in one go on all the different areas of the car.

For example, rear suspension.
Some of the parts waiting for it:

All installed with Kaplhenke coilover spring perches and 200 lbs springs:

Brakes discs & pads, dampers & springs, panhard bar and antiroll bar all at once.

The front end got the same treatment, bar spring & dampers as I'm waiting to make coilovers with 275 lbs springs to match the rear, courtesy of Kaplhenke as well.

Engine bay got a strut bar and AEM dry cone filter for turbo noises (hate me).

And that was all I had time to do in 5 days time before taking a plane back to London where I'm living at the moment. I've ordered so many parts for this new project, I'm hyped on having learned from the mistakes on my previous brick and am making sure this one is going to be modded as cleanly and seriously as I can. Only quality (and expensive RIP me) parts will touch this car !
I'd love to go out on track days eventually with this one, kind of building it all with that in mind.

A last picture of it in the mediteranean sun!

Plans for the car

Engine:
-15G Turbo
-Lightly ported 531 head with 38mm exhaust valves
-Ford Cosworth 803 low impedance 390cc injectors
-Higher lift cam? Probably gonna be VX3 for now because free
-KL Racing 60mm intercooler w/ D088 silicone couplers
-3 inch exhaust
-Wasted Spark
-AEM Wideband & GFB G-Force 3 boost controller

Drivetrain:
-Eaton TruTrac locker
-Billet flywheel with 850R clutch

Interior:
-Personal Grinta 350mm steering wheel
-Modern head unit
-8 inch amplified subwoofer hidden somewhere
-Class D compact 4 way amp

Suspension & Brakes:
-Kaplhenke Coilovers, 275 front & 200 rear lbs springs
-Koni Yellows
-Kaplhenke "quick steer" roll center correctors
-Kaplhenke BNE Select adjustable top mounts
-Nitrac cryogenic treated rotors
-EBC Yellow pads

Little sneak peek

Stay Tuned!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:12 AM   #40
moise
Board Member

ca donne quoi tes disques rainurés a l'arriere?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #41
MrKrabs
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moise View Post
ca donne quoi tes disques rainurés a l'arriere?
Je les ai surtout choisis parce qu'ils sont cryogénisés, j'avais des soucis de disques voilés avant que ceux ci n'ont pas. Ils s'usent beaucoup plus doucement aussi !
Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #42
moise
Board Member

j'ai pas vu qu'elle marque c'etait de disque et plaquettes, j'ai des ebc yellow, j'aime pas trop faut qu'elle chauffe pour que ca freine donc en usage route y'a pas de mordant
Old 01-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #43
MrKrabs
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moise View Post
j'ai pas vu qu'elle marque c'etait de disque et plaquettes, j'ai des ebc yellow, j'aime pas trop faut qu'elle chauffe pour que ca freine donc en usage route y'a pas de mordant
Nitrac rotors & EBC Yellow pads as well, no issues with cold bite personally. Not as good as stock but not dangerous at all either.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:16 PM   #44
Sam b
Board Member

dude, this is sick. jealous of the fact you euro guys got the m90 and we didn't in the states. also sick about the DH i used to do a bunch of freeride, but never got into DH because of a lack of mountains in texas, which always bummed me out. sick thread for some sick cars. keep it up.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #45
MrKrabs
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam b View Post
dude, this is sick. jealous of the fact you euro guys got the m90 and we didn't in the states. also sick about the DH i used to do a bunch of freeride, but never got into DH because of a lack of mountains in texas, which always bummed me out. sick thread for some sick cars. keep it up.
Cheers dude!! I guess Europe is the place to be for a lot of things haha. I'll be heading home in two weeks to work on it some more.
I've come up with some very neat ideas for the car which I'm keen to show everybody about, stay tuned !
Old 02-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #46
MrKrabs
Board Member

Update time! Went back home and got alot of work done. I'll break it up in a few posts.

After having decided what path I wanted to chase down with this car, I started ordering parts.

Alot of parts !

As I mentionned before I do want to take this car out on the track a bit as well as road-trip it throughout Europe for skateboard related shenanigans. Make it somewhat of a nice GT car. Or as close as I can get a brick to be a GT car haha.

A brand new steering wheel. Black on black Personal Grinta. One of my if not the favorite modification I've done to this car. 350 mm feels just right and the confidence it brings when taking corners quickly is genuinely surprising.
No airbag alas but after the one in my old 940 not blowing up at all during the crash I don't know if they even work 21 years in.

KL Racing 60mm intercooler

Solid difference in thickness and definitely much more mass, should help with cooling and the cast end tanks won't blow up like the stock plastic ones.

This is not a "bolt in" part at all though.

The intercooler is wider and higher then stock.
Hight wise it was pretty straight foward, just had to cut the rubber "seats" the stock cooler and radiator sit on, so only the radiator's half is left. Effectively leaving the KL Racing one to rest on the bottom support panel.
Width wise however necessitated cutting holes through both left & right headlight supports as well as trimming the top portion.

It's a tight fit but the endtanks clear.

The brackets holding the assembly against the top fiberglass cover panel also need some "persuasion" to fit the extra thickness of the assembly. I just redrilled mine and added a spare at what's probably a hole for the narrower N/A radiator assemblys.

And voilà.

It's funny how searching for more reliability got me a decent amount of performance and even drivability, the turbo spools up faster and more boost likely meets the intake now. Feels more eager and 'free' on throttle.

Time for a drive down to the coast to skate with the mates!
Took a few pictures;

To be continued!
Old 02-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #47
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Nice update! Bet that that intercooler makes a good difference
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote