home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #226
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Well, that just sucks. Glad that the water was NOT accompanied by the kind of stuff that often injures people. I've helped 2 friends over the years with the demolition of everything from 3' down after floods. It just plain sucks. Hopefully your insurance will cover the bulk of the cost.....and if there was anything you wanted different, well, now's the time.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #227
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

Saw the truck at Byers/Wicked today. Sorry I missed you.
Updated my to do list for the Bertone. LOL.
Got home and had these waiting for me.
Time to clean the shop.
Sorry about the water issues, had a washer filling up a hallway and heading really close to the new floor I was putting down. I was lucky, my boy was in the front yard only feet away mowing and ran in to help clean up.
Good luck with all that and hope you are back at it before you know it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180731_150731209.jpg (172.0 KB, 730 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180804_145551438_LL.jpg (187.1 KB, 718 views)
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #228
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Saw the truck at Byers/Wicked today. Sorry I missed you.
Updated my to do list for the Bertone. LOL.
Got home and had these waiting for me.
Time to clean the shop.
Sorry about the water issues, had a washer filling up a hallway and heading really close to the new floor I was putting down. I was lucky, my boy was in the front yard only feet away mowing and ran in to help clean up.
Good luck with all that and hope you are back at it before you know it.
Haha, that is awesome. Was great meeting you in person and chatting with you. Glad to see you got some parts on order and have something to mess with.

The truck was actually there with its new owner Ed Allen. He lives in Olympia so I am guessing that you will see it around a bunch more than before.

I sold the old girl on Friday. Sad to see it go, but the offer was right and I am again out of room for cars. I need to stop with these projects and just be like a normal guy with a couple of cars.

The house is a mess, its all dry now. I met with contractors and insurance agent this morning. Its going to be a long process to get it back together pre flood condition, but there isnt much we can do about it now. Probably going to be some time before the flooring even shows up so for now we get lawn chairs in our living room =)

Let me know if you need a hand with the pinion angle setup on the Bertone and I look forward to hopefully having my volvo there for 2019 to park next to you !!!!

Sean
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #229
hackster
Board Member

Have had zero time or motivation to even go into the shop in weeks with the flood.

Managed to get out there for a few hours yesterday, my motivation is that the car may need to be moved in the coming months and it needs to roll, steer and stop.

Back out of the car again, final welding on the panhard bar bracket, clean and paint.

Cleaned and painted, ready to go back in.

Pulled all the links apart and got them all welded up and shot with some VHT wrinkle black, didnt turn out that well but will be fine for suspension parts that are going to get driven on.

Ran into a small hiccup on the panhard bar, it just barely touches the diff cover so going to try and put a small like 5 degree bend in it and get it to clear. This is with the heavy duty diff cover, clears the stocker just fine.

Taped up and undercoated above the rearend so its buttoned up when things go back together. Had custom lines made up for the rear of the car a few weeks ago. One of the best things about living here in Eugene is Pacific Rubber, they build their own DOT approved braided stainless brake lines on site. Best **** I have ever run across in all of my hose vendors anywhere.

Cleaned up all the hardware and have the rearend back under the car. Gotta make some adjustments on the panhard then should be able to button up most of the stuff under the backend of the car. Can get the fuel tank installed, run lines, install pump, install shocks and other misc stuff.

Maybe a roller in a week or so if I can find some more motivation.

Sean
Old 08-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #230
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

How long are your rear coilovers?
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #231
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Had a similar issue with IPD Panhard when I put the 8.8" diff in mine Sean -- I heated the area of almost no clearance and then "smushed" it a bit in the vice. I didn't want to alter the angle since things needed to line up on both ends with the angle the way it was. Seems to have worked just fine - no contact in 8 years or so.
M.H. Yount is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #232
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Your 242 is looking great despite the setbacks. Sorry to hear about the flood & terrible damage to the house; hope that can get cleared up soon and you can get excited about the car project again.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #233
122power
dude

Your garage is all white. Do you wear smocks when you work out there?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #234
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
How long are your rear coilovers?
These are what I ended up running. I wanted to get longer travel but getting it packaged in there with the low ride height I was shooting for just did not work. I have right at 5.5" of wheel travel.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...RoCzfIQAvD_BwE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Had a similar issue with IPD Panhard when I put the 8.8" diff in mine Sean -- I heated the area of almost no clearance and then "smushed" it a bit in the vice. I didn't want to alter the angle since things needed to line up on both ends with the angle the way it was. Seems to have worked just fine - no contact in 8 years or so.
I am lucky that I am not running bushings, the heim joints allowed me to make this setup work with a slight bend in the panhard bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Your 242 is looking great despite the setbacks. Sorry to hear about the flood & terrible damage to the house; hope that can get cleared up soon and you can get excited about the car project again.
Thanks man, The house stuff really sucks, its been two weeks and we have not had any progress other than tearing everything out and getting the house dry. I hope to get the rebuild started soon so we can get this behind us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
Your garage is all white. Do you wear smocks when you work out there?
No. Its kind of funny you say that. Some people are just dirty and messy. Do I get dirty yes, do I put my nasty dirty hands all over the walls, no. I see some shops that are super dark and dirty and I just dont know how you can work in there. Both my garages are white and well lit. Next one will be the same way too!!!

Managed to get the Panhard bar bent at a local shop that had a 1.5" die, we made it work since the degree on the bend is so small.

Stripped off the ****ty previous paint job and did it my normal way, Paint 3 heavy coats and put it in a storage tote with a hairdryer pointed in it. Perfect finish!!

Fits perfect. Have about 3/8" clearance all around the diff cover and about the same at the front of the tire.

Pretty happy with how this all turned out, its been a lot of work but should have good results. I am waiting for Brakes to show up, can run lines and finally get the fuel system mounted and finished up.

Now I can decide if I am going to puss out and just run 275's or if I am going to man up and run the 315's and flares.

Sean
Old 08-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #235
cosbySweater
Board Member

Man that turned out nice!
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #236
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Beautiful
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #237
brendon_ak
Board Member

Flares from Pat? I seem to recall him making some sweet 242 bolt on flares that would look mean on your car.
brendon_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #238
Vol242vo
Board Member

Whoa!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:25 AM   #239
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
Man that turned out nice!
Thanks man, It was your coilovers that gave me the idea. Thanks for posting it up to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclosenotnear View Post
Beautiful
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon_ak View Post
Flares from Pat? I seem to recall him making some sweet 242 bolt on flares that would look mean on your car.
I have chatted with him about them. They were just mocked up, and I believe they were 2002 fenders. I am thinking about some JDM Flares for now, get the car rolling and dial it in then building some steel ones after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Whoa!
Haha. Thank you.

Had a little bit of time to work on the car last night and a little again tonight. Got the upper shock spacers machined thanks to an awesome neighbor. Got all the washers on the hardware for the rearend and tightened everything all up.

Got the fuel tank all buttoned up and installed the weatherpack connector on the fuel pump wiring. And finally got the fuel tank installed, clips on the brake lines, built the last fuel line and tightened all the connections.

For the first time in months, feel like I am making some actual progress.

Got the helper springs installed also.

Fuel system is done with the exception of the vent line, have the parts, just need to install.

Going to keep trucking on the wiring this weekend and see if I can knock some **** out.

Anyone have any great hookups on 3 piece wheels? Likely going to do some step lip Work VSXX wheels. CCW's are a 10 week lead time =(

Sean
Old 08-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #240
hackster
Board Member

So I had to drop the tank to get the vent line hooked up, but it was pretty painless getting it out the second or third time......

Built the last remaining fuel line and have it done and tight.

So with that done I turned to doing the odds and ends, but first, I gave the garage a little clean up.

Started by sorting through the wiring on the drivers side, figuring out what was what, what needed to go to the passenger side since I am doing about 50% or a wire tuck.

I ended up pulling the wiring for the windshield washer squirters and level sensor back into the cab, I dont expect to be using them but wanted to keep in case they are ever needed so they are labeled and tied up under the dash.

Headlights, turn signals, side marker lights, and both of the electric fan wires run up the passenger inner fender well, everything got grommets and the same braided wire sleeving and p clipped to the inside of the fender bolts. It was a total pain the ass.

I had to come up with a solution for the messed up wiring for the lights and the ****ty factory volvo connectors. So I eliminated the connector, replaced all of the wiring and installed weatherpack connectors.

I also ditched the factory horns in favor of a donor horn from the van, it sounds awesome, its the rest of the wiring here, the horn got a tidy little bracket and mounts right behind the grille, factory plug on it too.

With the passenger side wrapped up for the most part, it was onto the drivers side, I got everything run out the factory rubber and laid it all out figuring out where my take outs needed to be and tidied it up as much as I possibly could. This is a time consuming process for me as I want it to be just right. All of the factory connectors came apart so glue style heat shrink could be installed. I think the finish product comes out well.

Here is what I ended up with on the drivers side, I believe I have one last wire to run, hot from battery to the distribution panel. Bracket was powdercoated, plastic got SEM Trim black out of a hot can to keep the spray pattern super fine and gives it a slight texture.

This is just about 100% wired and plumbed at this point. The only thing remaining is the power lead to the distibution panel and some braided sleeving on the starter signal wire.

I have a few loose ends to tie up on the interior, might need some pointers on a few connectors I dont recall where they go.

I need to run one wire back to the trunk for the fuel pump but I think that is about it for big wiring.

If I had wheels this bitch could hit the road in a few weeks.

Sean
Old 08-20-2018, 12:52 AM   #241
Vol242vo
Board Member

Just absolutely insane, clean swap...this would be my dream car! Everything about it...
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #242
thessejway
Board Member

Quote:
Just absolutely insane, clean swap...this would be my dream car! Everything about it...
I second this
thessejway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #243
slow240
Home Schooled

I could install an engine in a car with no wiring or plumbing and it wouldn't look this clean. Amazing works as usual
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
I'll polish your face

'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, b230ft/aw71, 16t.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #244
Matt244
Board Member

Did you use a backing shield on the big brake? I'm finding parts now for brake upgrade and was just curious what people were doing. My guess was just tossing it.
Second is shifter location. I read that the Chevy T5s and T56 shifter locations are further back but that's just swapping just transmissions not whole engines.
Matt244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #245
nolift911
Board Member

Are you going to build the three piece wheels to fit around those brakes, or spacers? Just built up some BBS RS 012's, 16 centers stepped up to 17, +11 offset. Pad height on those wheels are an issue, clear stock brakes but not sure about the R brakes. Does the adapter set the caliper back any? R brakes are next on my list -

Thanks for such a kick ass thread -
nolift911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #246
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

This car is absolutely insane.

Instagram: @itstotesdenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #247
SquareD
An Anomaly

Hackster build threads make me feel like a Muppet Baby... just pretending and playing.

[skeeter voice]... coming Nanny![/skeeter voice]
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #248
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Thank you very much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thessejway View Post
I second this
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
I could install an engine in a car with no wiring or plumbing and it wouldn't look this clean. Amazing works as usual
Its just time and patience and experience. People often ask why I sell stuff I build, its to try and do better on the next one. I think the difference between this car and my blue car will be quite noticeable, its fun to see the progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt244 View Post
Did you use a backing shield on the big brake? I'm finding parts now for brake upgrade and was just curious what people were doing. My guess was just tossing it.
Second is shifter location. I read that the Chevy T5s and T56 shifter locations are further back but that's just swapping just transmissions not whole engines.
No backing plate, they just hold in heat. If I do anything it will be for holding a brake cooling duct.

I am sure that in the stock location it would be farther back, that is the reason that my engine is a little bit forward, so I could fit the t56 in the stock tunnel. I am not sure about the Chevy T5, I know that they are not the strongest transmission. I have a buddy that put one behind a lm7 and blew it up within a few months. I would not really recommend it if you are going to beat on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolift911 View Post
Are you going to build the three piece wheels to fit around those brakes, or spacers? Just built up some BBS RS 012's, 16 centers stepped up to 17, +11 offset. Pad height on those wheels are an issue, clear stock brakes but not sure about the R brakes. Does the adapter set the caliper back any? R brakes are next on my list -

Thanks for such a kick ass thread -
No problem, appreciate the comments and following along. I am going to build up my wheels, likely 18x10.5 or 11's, 17" centers stepped up to 18's. I am going to have to have high disc in front and low disc in rear to try and get the lip's the same. Wish the rear was a little more narrrow or I could widen the track on the front a little bit, wheels are going to be a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDenny View Post
This car is absolutely insane.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
Hackster build threads make me feel like a Muppet Baby... just pretending and playing.

[skeeter voice]... coming Nanny![/skeeter voice]

Haha, whatevs. I am just building stuff in my garage. I have nothing more than a few hand tools and a welder, anyone can do this stuff.

Been 2 weekends in a row working on the car, didnt realize how many loose ends needed to be buttoned up in the car. I spent most of the day working out details, completing wiring and plumbing and getting the heater vents installed.

I had a Van, so I had to modify the stock van pedal to work better for my application. I have also learned that accelerator pedal position is key, so I wanted it adjustable for position right to left as well as tilt and in and out. So I chopped off the factory arm and came up with this for my solution.

Multi Position pedal that I can shim up or down and some grippy stuff to keep my foot where it needs to be.

Then I built this arm that attaches through the factory pedal arm, this is all tig welded aluminum and super solid. This is painted with my normal method, three heavy coats of Wrinkle Black and baked at over 100 degrees for an hour. I do this with a cardboard box and a hair dryer....laugh but it works amazingly well.

Finished product

So with that done I kept going on the dash, got a lot done, everything is wired that I have so far. I removed all of the carpet and shampoo'd them with a pressure washer and simple green, its all I have for now for carpet unless someone has a good suggestion for new carpet I am going to make this work.

Cleaned under the floors, installed the shifter and boot and am in the process of running the final wire to the trunk for the fuel pump.

Everything gets loomed, even inside the car.

I am getting close to being able to fire this thing up.....
Old 08-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #249
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
This is painted with my normal method, three heavy coats of Wrinkle Black and baked at over 100 degrees for an hour. I do this with a cardboard box and a hair dryer....laugh but it works amazingly well..
I'll put small stuff in the convection toaster oven at 120* for a nice finish.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #250
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Nice heating tricks -- down this way, in the summertime, I just set it in the sun. Especially with black paint -- it heats right up.
M.H. Yount is online now   Reply With Quote