77volvo245
Board Member

Are you going to single stage paint?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #28
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbasher View Post
Thanks for listing the parts you’ll be using, it’ll help me down the road. I know you’ve had a custom harness made before, what’s a ballpark on the cost?

Engine bay is looking good. My vote is satin....but not body color.
Its not cheap for the supercharger setup all in I think I am about $3,500 just for the blower and all accessories to run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
Would love to see a pic of the f150 engine bay
You would think I would have a better engine bay shot, but here is what I have handy......wish I had painted the firewall the same satin body color that I did the core support and inner fenders in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Battery in the back?
No, I think I am just going to go with a smaller battery in the factory location, maybe laid down or pushed up close to the inner fender. Some things I have learned with driving things hard and reliability. Easy to get to means easy to work on and troubleshoot. This is not going to be a show car.

From a weight standpoint, I would not mind moving it to the rear, but a small Odyssey is pretty minimal weight wise. Ill likely have to add ballast to the car to get it up to minimum optima weight anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77volvo245 View Post
Are you going to single stage paint?
Yes. I have always liked the way the single stage paint looks and functions on these cars and I see no reason to change it.

I managed to get the rest of the metal work done. My buddy used to work at a place where they did a lot of lazer work and he would grab some of the fall pieces from the table and put them in a bin for me. Comes in super handy when you are trying to weld up holes =)

I am thinking about farming out the paint work on this as I am really not setup to paint at the new place at all.

I need to get on pulling the engine from the van and getting it ready to drop in as parts are here waiting.

Happy Monday!!

Sean
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #29
churd9
Board Member

Thanks for the f150 pic .you do some great work !!! Glad your back !!
Chuck
Old 04-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #30
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

Dig the progress pic of the engine compartment!
242, https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=344891
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #31
slow240
Home Schooled

My buddy did an lm7 in his 242 and he hid his tiny battery inside the passenger fender with jumper lugs in the bay for ease of jump starting. Let me see if I can find a picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpudden View Post
I'll polish your face

'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, b230ft/aw71, 16t.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #32
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
As a clarification, I will be running a 6.0 from a 2008 pickup, iron block aluminum heads. I am running a 2010 camaro water pump, ICT Billet power steering pump mount and alternator mount, Holley 302-1 oil pan, Hooker cast exhaust manifolds (ceramic coated) LSA supercharger with CTSV top for hood clearances and adapter plates to adapt the cathedral port heads to the square port supercharger. LSA factory fuel injectors and LS9 fuel rails, this will put the fuel connections near the brake booster.

No this is not the lightest setup, no its not a real LSA, yes its a less expensive way to get good power from the 6.0 and lot of people have figured this LSA supercharger on a 6.0 and 5.3 swap out. Power should be plenty north of 500 to the wheels with this setup and all GM reliability. Ill be running the factory ECU and a custom harness for this setup.
Cool, thanks for the explanation. Seems like a good homebrew alternative and cost effective for 500+hp. Can't wait to check it out!

Engine bay is looking nice. Satin beige would be a clean look in a 240 if your F100 is any indication. What engine management did you use for the Coyote swap?
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #33
M.H. Yount
Board Member

If you haven't already obtained the Hooker cast units, you might want to take a look at Speedway Motors cast stainless Tru-Ram units. Flow characteristics (3" collector vs. 2.25", among other things) are superior to the Hooker unit which should help with your boosted application. And I found the exit location much easier to work with when fabbing the head pipes. fwiw https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-R...iABEgKSyfD_BwE

As we said when planning the bachelor party, if you've already got the Hookers, then party on!

M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #34
Mesoam
Board Member

stoked to see you doing another volvo
Old 04-29-2018, 12:19 AM   #35
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
Thanks for the f150 pic .you do some great work !!! Glad your back !!
Chuck
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Dig the progress pic of the engine compartment!
Second guessing my decision to take on this big of a project again though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
My buddy did an lm7 in his 242 and he hid his tiny battery inside the passenger fender with jumper lugs in the bay for ease of jump starting. Let me see if I can find a picture
I seriously thought about sinking a box in there, but found a pretty cool little mount for a small Odyssey Battery that should fit with room for the air filter over there still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Cool, thanks for the explanation. Seems like a good homebrew alternative and cost effective for 500+hp. Can't wait to check it out!

Engine bay is looking nice. Satin beige would be a clean look in a 240 if your F100 is any indication. What engine management did you use for the Coyote swap?
Thank you, I am pretty stoked to check it out also, have a buddy running one and he is hitting the dyno this week, but its a 5.3. I think I am going to go with Gloss so its easy to paint the outside. I really like the satin but hope the bay turns out well enough to look good in gloss.

Ran the Ford Racing coyote control pack with the ford computer. Zero issues with it.

Quote:
If you haven't already obtained the Hooker cast units, you might want to take a look at Speedway Motors cast stainless Tru-Ram units. Flow characteristics (3" collector vs. 2.25", among other things) are superior to the Hooker unit which should help with your boosted application. And I found the exit location much easier to work with when fabbing the head pipes. fwiw https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-R...iABEgKSyfD_BwE

As we said when planning the bachelor party, if you've already got the Hookers, then party on!

That last line is awesome........I already have the hookers so party on. Those Speedway ones look really nice, wish I had seen them before ordering mine. Ill definately keep them in mind if the hookers dont work out =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoam View Post
stoked to see you doing another volvo
Thanks man, kind of fun. Wish parts were easier to come by these days, seems like 240's are all gone now.

Sean
Old 04-29-2018, 12:36 AM   #36
hackster
Board Member

Had a few days home this weekend so got to work on the engine bay last night and kept going this morning.

Here we go...big box of supplies.

Slinging mud, going for a cleaner than stock look but not all super smoothed out.

About done with several rounds of body filler and sanding. My arms and fingers hurt.

Getting ready to shoot some high build Primer Sealer

Three coats of Evercoat Super Build primer

A few hours of letting it dry and got to work with even more sanding.....320 seemed to perform the best here and I have one half of the bay done, be back on sanding the other side tomorrow.

Was a busy ass day, and I am tired. One bad thing about the move is I dont know anyone down here so nobody to stop by and check out what I am doing or lend a hand when I need it. Rolling solo on this entire thing so far.

Hope to have it in color by mid week.

More parts should show up in the next few days.

Did make some progress on parts. Picked up some R front calipers and front and rear Brembo rotors as well as some killer adapters from STS Machining.

Wish I could get some good suspension parts coming this way.

Seems everyone state side is out of some good quality adjustable coilovers.

Maybe some more progress this week.

Sean
Old 04-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #37
doucheNozzle

Ben and Josh don’t have anything?

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:04 AM   #38
slow240
Home Schooled

Ben has those baller JRZ rsone coilovers.

https://www.kaplhenke.com/collection...sone-coilovers

Or the super baller JRZ rspro

https://www.kaplhenke.com/collection...spro-coilovers
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #39
MoCounselor
Board Member

Question on the Ford project: do you know the dimensions of the Coyote motor? I've been tossing around a non-Volvo project idea for awhile involving that motor, but i"m not sure it will fit. The biggest concern is the overall width.
MoCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #40
Dammit
+8cm

Would this car be legal in California? This isn't a wholly academic question, but one motivated by a degree of self interest (cf. the vulture query earlier in this thread).
Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #41
Mueller
Board Member

Welcome back, that truck is nice.... looking forward to the new Volvo build.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #42
Mesoam
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammit View Post
Would this car be legal in California? This isn't a wholly academic question, but one motivated by a degree of self interest (cf. the vulture query earlier in this thread).
1975 and older is smog free, anything else would need to be under the table or within the states guidelines.
Mesoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #43
M.H. Yount
Board Member

...all of that, if you wanna register it for the street. If this is a track rat....
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #44
122power
dude

Diesel title works as well. Nice work Sean! And yeah the 240's are not around as much, even down here.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #45
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Ben and Josh don’t have anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
Ben has those baller JRZ rsone coilovers.

https://www.kaplhenke.com/collection...sone-coilovers

Or the super baller JRZ rspro

https://www.kaplhenke.com/collection...spro-coilovers
All out of stock. 3 to 4 week lead time, QSRC is a 10 week lead time. This is likely the route I will end up going though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCounselor View Post
Question on the Ford project: do you know the dimensions of the Coyote motor? I've been tossing around a non-Volvo project idea for awhile involving that motor, but i"m not sure it will fit. The biggest concern is the overall width.
Its massive. I had a dimensional chart of both engines at one point but its long gone. I can tel you at the widest point it is 6.5" wider than an LS and that is essentially the tip of the head at the valve cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Welcome back, that truck is nice.... looking forward to the new Volvo build.
Thanks man, nice to hear from some familiar people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
Diesel title works as well. Nice work Sean! And yeah the 240's are not around as much, even down here.
Thanks!! I am shocked at just how hard it is to find parts for these things now. I have a couple big items I need and am having a tough time finding.

172 paint code driver and passenger fender would be awesome
Good Uncracked dash- I am willing to pay for this, halfway tempted to try and order a new one.
Any brown interior pieces would be great, door handles, carpet, dash, rear deck or seatbelt covers.

Bunch of parts should show up this week on it and I am pulling the donor motor this weekend, maybe make some progress in the next couple weeks, like engine assembled and in the car.

Sean
Old 05-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #46
Mueller
Board Member

I'm going to be in Newberg in June for a Porsche 914 event, would love to see your truck in person. (just mapped it out, you are 8 hours away, ouch)

Now I want to redo my engine compartment after seeing your progress...damn it!
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #47
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

Quote:
Great tip!!! Subbed for awesomeness.
#79WDP
2006 XC70 Wagon - "Chuck Feo" - Daughters ride - stock
1992 965 - "Savage Wagon" w LS 5.3 LM7 + LS7 cam + GM T5 swap in progress.
1983 Jeep Cherokee - LS 5.3 LM7 + LS9 cam + SM465 swap in progress
1971 Chevy C-10 w 5.3 LS (LS2 cam) & GM T5 trans
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #48
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

Holy picture size, Batman! From what literally took me 20 minutes to look through the pictures; nice!
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 190k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC w/condenser fan, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #49
ujoint

Looks great so far, excited to watch the progress!
Old 05-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #50
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
I'm going to be in Newberg in June for a Porsche 914 event, would love to see your truck in person. (just mapped it out, you are 8 hours away, ouch)

Now I want to redo my engine compartment after seeing your progress...damn it!
Never too late to redo it, I had the engine out in less than a day

I am only about an hour or so from Newberg, hit me up if you want to get together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
Great tip!!! Subbed for awesomeness.
Should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerBrickGuy View Post
Holy picture size, Batman! From what literally took me 20 minutes to look through the pictures; nice!
I figured most people were not on dial up anymore . I just link pics from my photobucket account like I have done on all my other build threads. Not sure how to resize them actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
Looks great so far, excited to watch the progress!
Thanks man, are you from UJoint for real? You guys have some killer stuff I cut my teeth in offroading, just finished building an 05 ram with a 700hp 426 hemi, one tons and 40" tires.

Got this bitch loaded up and off to the painters this morning. Super high end hot rod shop is helping me out with it.

They are turning it around quick should have it back in just a few days as all the prep was done for them.

Supercharger showed up at FedEx yesterday, will pick up today. Parts are piling up now!!!

Sean