• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Torque rod and trailing arms

BryantTF242

Ok so I have short strut coilovers and adjustable spring perches on my 242.
My real wheels now sit closer to the rear of the arch rather than centered (obviously).

I bought adjustable torque rods to better my driveshaft angle, but that will require rotating the rear axle further rearwards! So I don't really want to do that!

MY QUESTION:
Has anyone successfully made adjustable trailing arms? So I can rotate the bottom of the axle forwards?

I know kaplhenke makes some but I don't want to change my entire rear suspension setup!

has anyone maybe cut off the front eye of the trailing arm and welded in a rod with threaded insert and made them that way? Similar to the operation of the adjustable torque rods?

Let me know your thought and/or experiences!

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
The axle doesnt move back or forth while lowering but left and right... What you need is a adj panhard.. Adj.Torque rods are used to align the driveshaft..

i understand that. i have an adjustable panhard bar and the rear end is totally centered. i know the adjustable torque rods are to adjust the driveshaft angle, but id like to bring the rear end assembly forward a hair.

IPD torque rods are cheap enough. Pre built, no headaches. I'm sure you could shorten the trailing arms. Someone may have a trick to center the wheels.

I shortened the trailing arms on my car about .750". I just chopped them off and welded them back together, it was very simple. I would be weary of doing what you're describing in those photos. The trailing arm on a 242 is loaded in bending and doing that to a turnbuckle or otherwise threaded component is bad juju. Not saying it won't work, it's just poor practice.

agree'd

Its not ideal but the bending loads it sees are very minimal so as long as the hardware is sized appropriately theres no issue.

The new aluminum ones will have slug based adjustment :oogle:

would you ever be up to the idea of making adjustable trailing arms with stock spring/shock mounting?

that would be awesome

aaaahh now i get what you want :)

In the last bilsport or speedhunter realted volvo article was a guy who centered his axle.. maybe shoot him a question over the pond ? :)

The torque arms will move your axle forward slightly. If getting adjustables just buy some swedge tube and rod ends, or buy them from kaplhenke racing.

Thought about cutting my arms and welding shorter as well, but never got to it this year.

The axle doesnt move back or forth while lowering but left and right... What you need is a adj panhard.. Adj.Torque rods are used to align the driveshaft..

Actually he needs both.

The rear links are not equal length so the axle moves in an arc under compression, side to side, and fore/aft. I'm not going to use big words to describe this movement.

agree'd

Its not ideal but the bending loads it sees are very minimal so as long as the hardware is sized appropriately theres no issue.

The new aluminum ones will have slug based adjustment :oogle:

And when will we see these new aluminum units?

Back