• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gauging interest in Redblock intake manifold spacers

kmw855t5

Hey all, this is Kristian from snabb.us I've recently been asked by a customer in Norway to consider making 8v redblock and 16v redblock versions of my composite fiber 1/8" intake manifold heat blocking spacers. For those of you who aren't familiar with this product it's a thin spacer with very low thermal conductivity which very effectively blocks conducted heat. I currently make them for P80's and P2's. I sell my current 93+ versions for around $40 per spacer. (the spacer also works as a gasket so there is no need for additional gaskets and typically the stock bolts work just fine)

So the question:

Is there enough interest in the community to justify putting these into production? I would need to put together a group buy to put these into production with probably 15-20 commited buyers of each version to make it happen. (I'll have to have at least 100 of each made) I would offer a good initial discount and all that, but I don't want to get ahead of myself, I don't even know if I'm allowed to run a GB over here as I'm not a paid advertiser. Right now I just want to know if this is worth looking at more closely.

The gaskets that I'm contemplating producing would be-
Volvo PN: 13778879
for volvo 240, 740 and 940 with redblock 8V engines, B230F/ FT/ FK

and Volvo PN 1378854
for 16V engines. B204FT\GT and B234F\B204F engines, found in 740,760, 940 and 960.

Also If I have any of this information wrong please post up and let me know. I am a whiteblock guy so I apologize in advance if I get anything wrong.

I can make this happen pretty quickly so if you're interested let me know!

At $40 without any modification to intake studs or use of other gaskets, I'd say it's something I would drop money on in a heartbeat if it's proven to be just as effective as other phenolic spacers on the market. :)

here's a customer testimony- this is from a 2000 C70 2.4t

"finally installed the poly intake isolator that i bought almost a year ago.
very satisfied with the immediate improvement in intake air temp reduction and temp. on the intake it self after driving.
it took about 2 hours with no special tools to install, and it works like a charm.

tested with almost similar driving patterns, only 5 degrees Celsius different outsidetemp before and after installing the polymanifold isolator.
the differance between IAT and outside temp was about 5-10degrees Celsius almost all the time when doing normal driving, much more when pulling hard.
after poly intake isolator was installed the tempdifferance on IAT and outside temp is about 1-3degrees Celcius only almost all the time during normal driving, even hillclimbing and stable high speeds!

and from not being able to even touch the intakemanifold with original bushing without getting "burned", i can now drive half an hour with average of 70km\h, 15degrees outside temperature, and stop the engine and put my hand on the intakemanifold without the manifold being to hot to let my hand rest there for several minutes. IMPRESSIVE! and worth the time and money so far! excited to see how durable it is and if it stays fine and without leaks for many years."

You are very much late to the game. I've had this on my 16v motor for 3 years now.

16v Spacers
8V Spacers

Thank you. My customer in Norway mentioned that these exist and I do realize that I'm pretty darn late but I also believe that's usually the case when your considering developing parts for cars that are 20+ years old. That being said it doesn't mean there is not room for competition or demand for something else in the market place which is what I'm hoping to figure out.

Additionally I should point out there are some differences between mine and a 1/4 phenolic.
1. thickness 2. price 3. need for additional parts.

Let me know if you have any questions and I really thank you all for the immediate responses!

The Yoshifab stuff actually includes the needed hardware as well at that price. Nice stuff, and he's a small biz vendor that's been around on the board for some time. Not saying competition is out, but his wares have been known for a long time with solid results.

Same thing happened when IPD started selling their current style of adjustable gears based on a design that Dale had been selling for years, without even talking to him about it, thus putting him at a severe disadvantage.

Just sayin'

you are a day late on this and the market is already getting smaller by the day. Got some of Yoshifab's that are first rate that I still have not had time to install. you may be pissing in the wind but if you are serious start a group buy and see how many sign up. I might be on that list too.

I would only make these if "you" want them made. If not then it doesn't make sense to go through the trouble. This was brought to my attention by a customers inquiry and am just looking to see if there is more interest out there.

Since a few people have expressed interest already please let me know which one you would want. thanks

you are a day late on this and the market is already getting smaller by the day. Got some of Yoshifab's that are first rate that I still have not had time to install. you may be pissing in the wind but if you are serious start a group buy and see how many sign up. I might be on that list too.

Mine took about an hour and a half to install. I doubled up on gaskets just to be on the safe side. It's a really nice kit, I can rest my hand on the intake mani after some hard driving, and not get burned! Also, no worries with clearing my strut tower bar. Very nice!

Got any data on the difference between phenolic and your material? Would you post to the UK? If so maybe 2 for 8v.

can you ---or any proponent of these products which somehow :uh: every OEM engine designer, compliance engineer and race team somehow just plumb forgot about------tell us by what method air whistling thru a manifold at 200-300 miles per hour----300-400 inches per second----is getting heated?
[ ] convection
[ ] radiation
[ ] conduction

And how much in that maybe 1/600th or 1/1000th of a second it takes for a theoretical hunk of air to go thru a manifold is the temp rise?

Any thoughts why no OEM anywhere, and no serious race or rally team supported by any factory use things like this? Are they all stupid?

can you ---or any proponent of these products which somehow :uh: every OEM engine designer, compliance engineer and race team somehow just plumb forgot about------tell us by what method air whistling thru a manifold at 200-300 miles per hour----300-400 inches per second----is getting heated?
[ ] convection
[ ] radiation
[ ] conduction

And how much in that maybe 1/600th or 1/1000th of a second it takes for a theoretical hunk of air to go thru a manifold is the temp rise?

Any thoughts why no OEM anywhere, and no serious race or rally team supported by any factory use things like this? Are they all stupid?

I agree 100% but it's so hard to argue because you can feel the difference!!! :oops: Why is it important to be able to touch your intake manifold?

Not much better than our group buy pricing on these which requires nothing more than a list of people with money in hand. I am always open to do large volume discounts (10+ sets shipped to one address) for discounts.

Back