• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Removing the turbo charger from a turbocharged 740

89_740Turbo

I picked up a 740 Turbo but I'd like to remove the turbocharger and make it a standard N/A. Aside from the ECU from a non turbo 740 and using a new manifold, what else?

Covering my bases now before I begin.

You know its a low compression motor and will be slower than a N/A 740 right? Also why would you want to remove the best part of the car?

just leave the ecu's, etc alone, and put the na manifold on there. You'll need to plug the oil feed and return, and it'll probably be slow AF, but it'll get you from point a to point b

/\ /\ /\ w00t!

Or - take off the cold side intercooler piping, put the MAF on it. then route the turbo compressor outlet through a soapy water tub so it makes bubbles. Lots of bubbles YUGE amounts of bubbles.

Back in the 90's, I did this to a 240 turbo, too poor to buy a new turbo, (they were more expensiveness back then), It was fun / not fun... pedal to the floor everywhere, trying to slow down as little as possible for turns etc. Very happy when I got a new turbo back in though. I would not want to do this willingly again. It was an early B21FT, so only 7 or so to 1, 740 would be higher compression iirc

Back