• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvader

Guys, could use a little help, while driving this car this weekend I noticed water coming out form under the dash, particularly when I made sharp right/left turns, it seems water just pores out from under the dash! Now I know the first question is when did it rain last, etc etc. I has not rained here in over three weeks or so and I have not washed the car for a week and a half, this is the first time this has ever occurred!

I did some quick searches, could find anything except talk about a check valve climate control valve, etc. Any help would be great! I took the lower panels off the under side of the dash and could not seem to find anything abnormal?

Note: the leak is going into both front foot wells, depending on what way I turn, and dam was it cold on my toes, haha!

AC seems to work fine, I'll have to get under the car and try and unclog it from there, if not use an air compressor? If the drain was clogged does the system normally spill over like this?

Don't you mean, damp places like rust.

No, on a serious note.........I won't put it off! You know me. I went outside at 7:00 and got under the car, first thing I did was look for the puddle of water under the car on the pavement to make it easier to trace the line. Of course, no puddles, took both sides of the lower dash apart and can't see anything, took the glove box out and can see even less. Scanned through the manual and couldn't find any diagram.

It's in a crappy spot , behind the heater IIRC, going into the tranny tunnel. You should see a black rubber hose going down into the tunnel and out the bottom.

Ok, that is the best description I have seen yet, I will check afterwork tomorrow, if I can find that, I can at least trace it up! Thanks or the info!

First thing I'd do is smell/touch the water... does it smell/feel like coolant?

M.

M.

^ That

If not, go hunting for that drain. You'll have to peel the carpet back where it meets the tunnel at the passenger side console kick panel. I don't think I have a pic anywhere, but I'm pretty sure it's right behind the climate control vacuum reservoir.

M.

That is the first thing I did. It has no odor and looks and feels just like water. I see condensation built up on the clear plastic unit at the rear of the heater core!

^ That

If not, go hunting for that drain. You'll have to peel the carpet back where it meets the tunnel at the passenger side console kick panel. I don't think I have a pic anywhere, but I'm pretty sure it's right behind the climate control vacuum reservoir.

I just drove the car onto ramps and couldn't see any drains under the car, I can recall from memory where the puddle pools when it is working right to go right to that spot.

The diagram on 3-8 of the Haynes manual is useless, names every part, but is vague about it!

Last edited:
There is some kind of white valve in the drain hose. I found the drain while I was under the car, looks like the drain comes right out of the bottom of the heater core(front lower part closest to firewall) and drains onto the passenger side of the transmission. Not sure if the white valve was suppose to be in there, but the drain tube is only accessible from the passenger side foot well. The second I started squeezing the tube I noticed that valve was lodged in the center (didn't know what it was at first. Grabbed the tube off my junk 245 T and it didn't have the valve in it. Took the car for a spin around the block and seemed to drain once again on my driveway pavement. I stripped all the carpeting and front padding to monitor and allow the front to dry out. Hopefully this was the solution!

Pic of white valve? That is tube! There shouldn't be anything in it. Hope this was the problem.:)

Ya, hopefully! I will keep the carpets out for a week if I need to in order to make darn sure! Last thing I want is rust! I did turn my heat on this morning to turn the windsheild defroster in bc it was rainy and damp out! I had smoke come out and it smelt! Turned it right off and then soon after tried to turn it back on to get a video and it would not smoke again! I am at a loss, only thin I can think is that when the drain was plugged up, water got backwashe I to somewhere it shouldn't have been! But I don't know the internal workings of the heater core!

That sounds like a likely explanation. I also wonder though if that white valve you describe might be some crucial part of the inner workings that has broken. Definitely an odd thing to have happen.

Pic of white valve?

quoted for relevance. Help us help you, by gum. The drain connects to the sealed plastic heater box, which also houses the AC evaporator (someone can correct me if I named it wrong, point is it's just similar to the heater core, sits closer to the firewall in the heater box).

There shouldn't be any white valve-like thing floating around in thar. Unless it was the fan resistor growing cauliflower and jumping ship because of leaky heater core growths/corrosion goodness :-P. Turn on the heat again, see if you can replicate steam/stank/whatever

Or post up in maintenance. Or wait until I return, buy me a growler of delicious 16 mile, and hope that I can actually drive up one day to look at it, which is probably a crap chance for a long while

That sounds like a likely explanation. I also wonder though if that white valve you describe might be some crucial part of the inner workings that has broken. Definitely an odd thing to have happen.

I will be sure to post a pic of it wen I get home!?

quoted for relevance. Help us help you, by gum. The drain connects to the sealed plastic heater box, which also houses the AC evaporator (someone can correct me if I named it wrong, point is it's just similar to the heater core, sits closer to the firewall in the heater box).

There shouldn't be any white valve-like thing floating around in thar. Unless it was the fan resistor growing cauliflower and jumping ship because of leaky heater core growths/corrosion goodness :-P. Turn on the heat again, see if you can replicate steam/stank/whatever

Or post up in maintenance. Or wait until I return, buy me a growler of delicious 16 mile, and hope that I can actually drive up one day to look at it, which is probably a crap chance for a long while

You do know I live right around the block from the brewery! Right! Haha!

Back