• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Porsche 944 Volvo 2.3 T5 engine swap

jimboafro

I have a Porsche 944 project car and am trying to find any information about fitting a 2.3 T5 engine I'm sure it's been done but can't find any specific information about mounting it/ adapter plates etc Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You will be hard-pressed to find any specific swap info. The biggest challenge will be choosing between keeping the stock Porsche transaxle or going to a T5/regular 5 speed and something like an 8.8 solid rear axle.

The better question is, why not go with an SBC or LS? Adapters and mounts exist, and cheap, reliable power.

Did someone say LS swap?

lmR1JRx.jpg

I've always wanted one of the Renegade hybrid cars, the 944 is one of my favorite cars I have owned, an '83 and an '86 951. I almost pulled the trigger on an LS7 swapped one, it was hard to justify the all at once cost". In retrospect it would have cheaper than my 242 L33 build. By more than 1/2...

So true, I had a 87 944 for a little while... If only LSs were around back then! The Renegade conversion parts are so dang expensive that it makes it hard to justify for a play toy. IMO if they lowered the price the kits would fly out the door!

I doubt the Volvo 5 cylinder would fit easily. The I4 thats in the car takes up most of the room already. Plus the Porsche 2.5 I4 is practically laying sideways in the bay.

That engine bay fits 4 cylinders and V8's. I've heard of one guy doing a VW/Audi 07K but it's not easy like an LS swap. The 07K would eat the Volvo motor for breakfast any day, and they are cheaper and easier to find.

*edit* The 07K is half the Lambo V10 btw. It's legit AF.

I should mention that I'm in the UK and volvoT5 engines and donar cars are cheap and plentiful. If I was in the states an LS swap would make more sense yes. I know it's been done before and fairly common in Sweden happy to fabricate engine mounts sump if needs be even a custom adapter plate just be useful to speak to someone who has already done it. Will be running a stand alone ECU so not worried about wiring

Did you consider a 5 cylinder Audi engine? AAN 20 Valve Turbo?

Yes but they are rare and expensive in the UK and heavy, the volvo engine is all alloy and is basically the same thing 2.3 5 cylinder noise for a lot less money and very tuneable

https://ibb.co/NrknYQd

Here's the car acid dipped shell full colour change to Rivera blue infused carbon roof skin, full weld in cage, glassfibre front end, 968 club sport front brakes, gaz coilovers, pedal box, stand alone ECU etc
Yes that's an RS2 project in the background of the workshop as well.
I will get the Volvo lump into this car and working!

Last edited:
OP, has your question been answered?

Not really it seems not many if anyone has any concreate information on this swap il figure it out myself just thought this might be the place to gather some useful pointers

Back