• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LT1 swap

Here's a bump -- most everyone is going LS - so finding mounts for an LT/240 likely to be something used if at all. They're pretty easy to fabricate for either swap.....

Look up 'Jags that Run', an LT1/LT4 utilize regular old SBC mounts, so the JTR kit is what you'll be looking for if you're just wanting to buy a mount kit. That LSx kit is super spendy for about $10 worth of materials. Are you doing the conversion yourself?

Look up 'Jags that Run', an LT1/LT4 utilize regular old SBC mounts, so the JTR kit is what you'll be looking for if you're just wanting to buy a mount kit. That LSx kit is super spendy for about $10 worth of materials. Are you doing the conversion yourself?

Is this what you are referring to? I've noticed most things that hold the LSx name jacks up the price. I will not be doing this myself I have a friend of mine who is also my boss. He's a master mechanic. He and I are BMW guys mainly, but he can fabricate. I was just wondering if there was anything out there.

I'd just make your own mounts/etc. we've got two lt cars, my z28 and our buick roadmaster, they've got their own issues, but solid motors for stockish power. they say the iron heads flow better than the camaro aluminum ones, i'm still planning on some j/y lt4 heads(or something similarly priced - under $100). I haven't kept up on the current info/mods, so who know's what the ideal build is. but mine's never been a real problem(other than the optispark once)

I'd just make your own mounts/etc. we've got two lt cars, my z28 and our buick roadmaster, they've got their own issues, but solid motors for stockish power. they say the iron heads flow better than the camaro aluminum ones, i'm still planning on some j/y lt4 heads(or something similarly priced - under $100). I haven't kept up on the current info/mods, so who know's what the ideal build is. but mine's never been a real problem(other than the optispark once)

What problems are there with the LT1 motors? I plan on running it stockish at first but im going to have custom exhaust with possibly no cats. I'm going to hit up forums for those soon but I plan using it as a daily.

No problems with LT1 motors other than optispark maintenance. Read up on it... lots of info on lt1swap, thirdgen and ls1lt1.com. They're just older, but still lots of potential... on the plus side, lots of people are ditching their lt1 parts for ls1...

JTR doesn't sell the volvo 240 mount anymore... not to mention answer any of my emails.

I made my own out of 1/4" plate using pre-fab poly mounts from speedway motors. Took much longer to get the engine where I wanted than to actually make and weld up the mounts. Still not completely happy with them, but they'll do.

The t56 is a big-ass trans. Check out the photos of MikeSr.'s 5.3 build for hacking the trans tunnel.

Last edited:
What problems are there with the LT1 motors? I plan on running it stockish at first but im going to have custom exhaust with possibly no cats. I'm going to hit up forums for those soon but I plan using it as a daily.

you should have no problems, worst for me is the car it's in, no room to do anything in a camaro engine bay. optispark isn't bad, change it and the waterpump when you have the motor out of the car and you'll be good for over 100k. both of ours leaks oil, but like a dozen drops an oil change, but enough to make a mess and eventually get on the exhaust and make it smell like it's losing oil, so just change some of the seals when you get it out of the car. confirm the year of the t56, some(like mine) DO NOT take synthetic - they have paper blocker rings and it will basically ruin the trans, later ones are fine with synthetic or if it's been rebuilt they usually don't put the paper blocker rings back in.

from what i've been told the lt1's LOVE nitrous, i wanted to boost mine, but they have like a 5psi limit before the high CR and rods/pistons give up.

but i daily drive mine, mom daily drove the buicks, they're solid engines no doubt

you should have no problems, worst for me is the car it's in, no room to do anything in a camaro engine bay. optispark isn't bad, change it and the waterpump when you have the motor out of the car and you'll be good for over 100k. both of ours leaks oil, but like a dozen drops an oil change, but enough to make a mess and eventually get on the exhaust and make it smell like it's losing oil, so just change some of the seals when you get it out of the car. confirm the year of the t56, some(like mine) DO NOT take synthetic - they have paper blocker rings and it will basically ruin the trans, later ones are fine with synthetic or if it's been rebuilt they usually don't put the paper blocker rings back in.

from what i've been told the lt1's LOVE nitrous, i wanted to boost mine, but they have like a 5psi limit before the high CR and rods/pistons give up.

but i daily drive mine, mom daily drove the buicks, they're solid engines no doubt

I might change the optispark out for an MSD system and an electric water pump. I'm not looking to nitrous simply because of the wear that it puts on the engine which I've found isn't very bad at all on the LT1 but its around $1500 plus new tanks which I'm not to fond of at the moment. I'm thinking bigger TB, underdrive pulleys, CAI, and just the usual bolt-ons.

My biggest concern is the fitting of the engine I'm thinking I have to change the sway bar in order to get the bottom end in.

No cutting moving the crossmember around either?

I didn't move the xmember, and technically didn't have to cut it, but I just cut the corner off (it gave a lot more breathing room with the bottom of the pan) and welded a plate back in its place. Here's a pic from above. I don't have any after pics. Plenty of swaybar clearance as well. If you use the JTR mount (if you can get one), you will absolutely need to move the swaybar or find an IPD v6 drop bar.

148101838.jpg

and from the side.
148101820.jpg

Had to use the BFH in the trans tunnel "a little" but nothing crazy. Granted I'm using a T5 for the time being.

I used the JTR kit if you do some research on oil pans you will not need to cut your crossmember. In my opinion more torque from a V8 and removing metal from the crossmember is a recipe for disaster. It is easy to motor swap a car, it is hard to motor swap a car and have it be as reliable as it was.

I used the JTR kit if you do some research on oil pans you will not need to cut your crossmember. In my opinion more torque from a V8 and removing metal from the crossmember is a recipe for disaster. It is easy to motor swap a car, it is hard to motor swap a car and have it be as reliable as it was.

Fair enough. But if you actually look at what I "took out" and more importantly, what I put back in it's functionally equivalent. Not shown in that pic is the piece of 3/16 steel I welded back in place. All I did is take off the corner.

As I stated, I didn't have to cut it, but it was easier and more, say, pretty to look at than pounding on it with a BFH.

Take a look at what the LS1 guys have to cut and then look at what I did and I think you'll agree the modification is trivial in terms of performance.

Man I have a few questions for you about this swap. I just got an 81 242 that I’m trying to also throw a lt1 in to, if you’ve already got the motor mounts where did you get them or how did you fab them up? Trans mounts also and did the t56 fit right or was there any big problems down there?

I made mine 31 years ago. I used Dodge P/U truck motor mounts, the engine mount base and the cross member mount are parallel to the ground. I did have to notch the rear of the cross member. Some where I have the patterns.

Back