• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project

well the wife is giving me a deadline of having our current house list ready by November 1st... and I still have a pretty long chore list. But hopefully, I'll get into a place with a garage.. The wife only has 3 wants for the house: mature trees, open staircase, 2-3 car garage.

well the wife is giving me a deadline of having our current house list ready by November 1st... and I still have a pretty long chore list. But hopefully, I'll get into a place with a garage.. The wife only has 3 wants for the house: mature trees, open staircase, 2-3 car garage.

Lol. I need a shop with the amount of work I want to do. At least her wants seem small.

Disassembling of Ford 8.8 Rear End

Started getting the surface rust off. Will need to pickup a few cutting wheels tomorrow. Would of done more, but got back to late from work.
b8sm3rrl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Love that your always working on this thing, I like seeing all these Amazon's in the project threads everyday, I am looking forward to getting mine ready for the spring time and this thread is helping the push!!

Love that your always working on this thing, I like seeing all these Amazon's in the project threads everyday, I am looking forward to getting mine ready for the spring time and this thread is helping the push!!

Thank you. Will watch for your build thread and look forward to following it.

Thanks,

Disassembling of Ford 8.8 Rear End

Not much to report tonight. Continue to work on the rear end. Ran out of cutting wheels again. Probable going to POR15 the rear and all the bolt on stuff will be powder coated.

IQnf2b3l.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Not much work done the car yesterday. Spent some time cleaning up a little (hard to keep a small area clean when you have 30 lbs of $***in a 5 lb bag) and picked up a used parts washer for 40 bucks. Lol.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Prepping Ford 8.8 Rear End

I would say this is the best I'm going to get it with my current tools. Will see what the guy fabricating it can do.

RzJFhgFl.jpg

jt8Tzt8l.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Picked up the steering gear box this morning. Should start putting it together in the next few days. Had to get all new bearings and they had to press them in.

Rebuilding of Steering Gear Box

Started rebuilding the steering box. It will probably still leak. Lol.

TpiPstBl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
I did a little reading on 8.8" Ford rear ends. One source mentioned that the axle tubes are only held in with two rosette welds at the center section, which I think I see in the above pic. It occurred to me that maybe those welds could be drilled out and the tube removed, shortened the correct amount and reinserted. It was also suggested to cast iron weld the axle tube to the center section so it wouldn't break the rosettes under hard acceleration. Just sayin'!

I did a little reading on 8.8" Ford rear ends. One source mentioned that the axle tubes are only held in with two rosette welds at the center section, which I think I see in the above pic. It occurred to me that maybe those welds could be drilled out and the tube removed, shortened the correct amount and reinserted. It was also suggested to cast iron weld the axle tube to the center section so it wouldn't break the rosettes under hard acceleration. Just sayin'!

I think that's about the normal way it's done. I'm pretty sure mine was done that way before I bought it.

There is a part of the tube were the old bracket used to go on that has a very small soft spot. He wants to cut it there to fix that and won't have to grind the old brackets off. Then he will reinforce both tubes.

Steering Box Installed- Ford 8.8 Rear End back from being Modified

Not much to report. Only get to work on the car on weekends now.

Got the steering box installed and got the rear end back from fabricating.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back