• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

California smog and +T?

getouttamyway

I found a donor 1991 940SE to turbo my 1990 240. Still doing the research on the swap, but wondering how to navigate smog in California. I was assuming I would do the full swap then do the BAR ref thing (which I've never done), but doing a +t might actually be less work I'm just not sure how to deal with the smog then.

I would just put the turbo engine in, keep the stock block for backup, and smog referee it. They will check the numbers on the cat.

Engine must be same year or newer. Can't add a turbo to an engine, technically, but I doubt they can find the year stamp behind the engine mount.

The +t may work but most likely not. Get a complete engine out of a 91+ 940 turbo and swap it in along with all the emissions components and you'll be fine

I do just fine with my stock N/A cars and a T-cam:e-shrug: Just run 3:73 rear or higher, and just drive with a heavy foot.

I do just fine with my stock N/A cars and a T-cam:e-shrug: Just run 3:73 rear or higher, and just drive with a heavy foot.

Last fall we took ours on a 7 day 2,000 mile camping trip. Fully loaded climbing mountain passes was really slow going. Some interstates had 80mph limits and we could only push 50. My other car is a m3 so it was really frustrating. After that I began the hunt for a good donor car...

Because I love big window 245's and I need a car fast enough to at least get out of its own way.

Then buy a 245 Turbo like I did.

They did make them you know.

A little kick when you need it and as much as 30mpg taking it easy on the highway obeying the speed limits.

Swap a 90+ hatch on the 245T if you insist on big windows.

:e-shrug:

Last edited:
Last fall we took ours on a 7 day 2,000 mile camping trip. Fully loaded climbing mountain passes was really slow going. Some interstates had 80mph limits and we could only push 50. My other car is a m3 so it was really frustrating. After that I began the hunt for a good donor car...

Can you define fully loaded? Ive had my 89 loaded up and it did just fine in the mountains. The jump from 2-3-4 kinda sucks though. M47 car.

why do M3 owners always bring up their car ?
I have two M3 complete engines

Back