• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What distributor for b23 carb set up?

jsw8671

I'm looking into doing a carb-conversion on a b23f, and have figured everything out except the ignition. I want a points/condenser set up if at all possible (at least one person has done it, but didn't say anything beyond 'I dropped an aq series distributor in and it works great'), but I've noticed that the marine distributors all have a slot at the bottom rather than a drive-gear...so does one simply swap the gear onto the distributor shaft, or is there a specific model that drops in, or is electronic ignition the only option? What fits without major modifications?

(Please keep all 'why would you want a carb and/or points set up' responses to yourself)

Thanks!

That distributor can be converted to single or dual points if desired, but I don't know why you'd want to do that. It's a design that's been out for a long time (although I don't think they're made anymore) so there's lots of documentation, just maybe not for this exact model.

The magnetic pickup in the Mallory distributor is even more reliable than the optical one plus the curve and total advance are adjustable.

There are points distributors that came on car engines, just not here in the US. Penta distributors will have a less than optimal advance curve for a car engine.

That distributor can be converted to single or dual points if desired, but I don't know why you'd want to do that. It's a design that's been out for a long time (although I don't think they're made anymore) so there's lots of documentation, just maybe not for this exact model.

The magnetic pickup in the Mallory distributor is even more reliable than the optical one plus the curve and total advance are adjustable.

There are points distributors that came on car engines, just not here in the US. Penta distributors will have a less than optimal advance curve for a car engine.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to do some research into that Mallory unit (to make sure parts sourcing and such isn't too difficult, and what other coil options exist should the one it has with it fails, etc...)

And as far as points go: I'm mostly just trying to avoid having an ICU for simplicity's sake. A basic magnetic pickup design seems to fit the bill quite well.

Back