• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Poll on best struts for comfort / longevity

Which would you choose for comfort and longevity.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RickATL

I'm about to order new struts and front stock height - Lemforder springs:

"91 245 N/A very stock

Rear has overload springs and I am adding IPD sways 25/23. I already did all the other front and rear suspension stuff.

What struts would you go with?

A) Sachs
B) Sachs Turbo Gas
C) KYB - Excel G
D) Bilstein B6 HD

Now I just discovered that there is a 3rd Sachs kind 1990-1993 Volvo 240 Strut Insert - Hydraulic Sachs 274235

Last edited:
Bilstein HD up front, Gabriel Ultras out back.

FYI: Starting sometime in 1989, the 240 front strut tubes gained a spacer pressed into the bottom resulting in Bilstein shocks being too tall to fit. To utilize Bilsteins in the later 240s, that spacer needs to be machined out or find strut tubes from an earlier car. In looking to upgrade my 1975 242 to have front vented rotors, I acquired a set of front hub and struts from a 1989 parts car. When taking them apart discovered they sported the pressed in spacers and Bilsteins would not fit into place.

Bilsteins wont fit in 91,92, or 93 240s????

FYI: Starting sometime in 1989, the 240 front strut tubes gained a spacer pressed into the bottom resulting in Bilstein shocks being too tall to fit. To utilize Bilsteins in the later 240s, that spacer needs to be machined out or find strut tubes from an earlier car. In looking to upgrade my 1975 242 to have front vented rotors, I acquired a set of front hub and struts from a 1989 parts car. When taking them apart discovered they sported the pressed in spacers and Bilsteins would not fit into place.

So, if I understand, the Bilsteins won't work with my 91,92, or 93 240s? or at least without modification? I put KYB - Excel G's in the "93 after the Sachs I ordered from FCP didn't fit for some reason. Maybe this was the problem? I had thought they were missing a part.

The problem I had with the Sachs super touring from FCP was I though the spacer. In the photo it has the one I a took off and the on that came with the new Sachs. I guess it could have had something to do with a spacer that I didn't notice was welded in the strut housing?

Attachments

• 20180426_0906232.jpg
    20180426_0906232.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 293
So, if I understand, the Bilsteins won't work with my 91,92, or 93 240s? or at least without modification? I put KYB - Excel G's in the "93 after the Sachs I ordered from FCP didn't fit for some reason. Maybe this was the problem? I had thought they were missing a part.

1990 - 93 and on some 1989 models Bilstein strut will not fit with out removing the spacer at the bottom of the strut tube, or use an 82-88 strut assembly.

I took some pictures to illustrate the point. The strut assembly came our of a 1989 Sedan. The greens strut is an OEM volvo unit removed from that same 1989 strut assembly. The black one is a Bilstein TC strut for the 240.

Attachments

• IMG_8316.jpg
    IMG_8316.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_8317.jpg
    IMG_8317.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_8320.jpg
    IMG_8320.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_8321.JPG
    IMG_8321.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 287
Tire Rack shows an assortment including Bilstein, Sachs, Koni, and KYB. They also mention Volvo OE spacer # 1229423-7 required for some struts. Top strut mount, dust boots and bump stops carried as well.

1990 - 93 and on some 1989 models Bilstein strut will not fit with out removing the spacer at the bottom of the strut tube, or use an 82-88 strut assembly.

I took some pictures to illustrate the point. The strut assembly came our of a 1989 Sedan. The greens strut is an OEM volvo unit removed from that same 1989 strut assembly. The black one is a Bilstein TC strut for the 240.

I'm wondering if this is still the case because FCP, IPD, RockAuto all show the Bilsteins fitting the later models also? Does anyone know if this was changed or something?

I thought the bilsteins would fit but only a couple of threads would engage

IME they thread in far enough in the late struts. It's definitely more than just a couple threads. I've run Bilstein HDs in 3 different 240s over the last few years with 1992/1993 struts and never had any issues. On my 242 I had a Bilstein completely seize and the gland nut didn't fail or unthread. They don't thread in as much as stock but most of the threads on the gland nut are engaged.

ACtC-3eAAwLhN_75uuvLswidOx4aPPNZ8T6UlO0gaTF_zr5RaJlBnectuTubWw5CZ-xOQSuGHnwtuQCni4s7w60F4I7vh6vtgBKjJDT3-kGRavoH19C543kzoIr5WFxr5L1pWgXz_EcpnRBCqlaiSa7nN3z68A=w1019-h886-no

Bilstein HD struts can have seal issues especially if you drive in a place with a dirty, wet, salty winter. I've had a few fill with water or seize.

I’ve had Bilstien TCs in the front of my 90 245 for about eight years and 75,000 miles. They’re just as firm now as they were when I got them, something like 10% firmer than stock. The don’t leak or make noise, and they perform well from high speed twisty pavement to slow rutted gravel roads. Definitely worth the money.

I also use B6/HDs in the front of my 83 244T. They’re slightly more firm, less forgiving over larger bumps. Actually just across the board. They’re not jarring, but you definitely feel more with these. They definitely feel more composed at higher speeds though—high speed maneuvers are flatter and more composed with the HDs.

I wasn’t trying to spend the big HD money to see if they fit in my 90 245’s strut tubes though...I’m big on bolt-on solutions with as little custom fab as possible.

I was going to go Billy B6 on my poncy ride, but went with B4 and I'm not sorry.

I have Koni sports on my 945 set to soft on the front and medium on the rear. Nice ride that.

+1 for Billy TCs - they are bit on the harsher side if you have crappy potholed roads - but pretty good otherwise

Back