home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition

Old 01-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #26
Centsableone
SNAFU - BOHICA

I have basically unlimited hosting space if there are some photos that could be used for this topic. If they're sent to me I can load them and send the link which could be edited into the article and, MAGIC, the all important photos will appear !!

Sale and Purchase Feedback

Last edited by Centsableone; 01-26-2018 at 03:15 PM..
Centsableone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #27
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centsableone View Post
I have basically unlimited hosting space if there are some photos that could be used for this topic. If there are sent to me I can load them and send the link which could be edited into the article and, MAGIC, the all important photos will appear !!
Great, yes, seen the PM, will get the pics soon! (not on my laptop anymore, need to dig)
Thanks for the offer and will send them ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #28
Centsableone
SNAFU - BOHICA

Centsableone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #29
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Bump, fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centsableone View Post
I have basically unlimited hosting space if there are some photos that could be used for this topic. If they're sent to me I can load them and send the link which could be edited into the article and, MAGIC, the all important photos will appear !!
Ended up finding hosting myself! Thanks for the offer though.

Life has been very busy and stuff.

As far as speedometer work, replaced the odo gear last month. 240 is sporting the aluminium cover now with a homemade tone ring wrapped around a TrueTrack diff. Works great, still. 225/45/17 tires and calibration is good with the aforementioned resistance values.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #30
bugjam1999
Board Member

Hi all,

Yet another thread revival...

So we're working on a friends car at the moment, 1978 with a cable driven speedo. The B21A is out and a B230FK is in. Hybrid speedo being made, with a late speedo within the early case (has been done a few times now and someone on here was offering a conversion kit just last week)

My question then - we're tracking down a late axle to transplant in to provide the speed signal for both the speedo and so 2.4lh plays nicely. Would an alternative be to mount a standard diff housing sensor pointing at the 4 bolts of the diff input flange, or the thee bolts of the gearbox output flange, then recalibrate the speedo using an adjustable resistor?

Does anyone know if the range of adjustment would be great enough?

Thanks all,

Cheers
bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #31
bobxyz
Board Member

I looked at the datasheet for the speedo chip and it should have plenty of adjustment range.

The original setup is 12 pulses per axle (or tire) rev. If you have a 3.73 differential ring/pinion and use the 4 diff flange bolts, you'll get 3.73 * 4 = 14.9 pulses per tire rev, or ~25% higher. Using 3 bolts, 3.73 * 3 = 11.2 pulses/rev, or ~7% lower. Either one should be easily within the adjustment range, and either one is close enough to the 12 pulses/rev to keep LH2.4 happy.

The biggest difficulty may be mounting a sensor, and aligning the bolt heads (or add-on metal flags?), to get a good signal.

[Note: changing the resistor affects the speedo only, the odometer will still be fast or slow depending on the 3 or 4 bolts.]
Old 10-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #32
bugjam1999
Board Member

Great! Thanks for looking that up and replying. Annoyingly the engine and gearbox are in the car now, which makes adding something a little more difficult. The gearbox has a conversion bracket like this bolted to the back of it to allow it to bolt to the M47 cross member, it would have been relatively easy to weld a bracket to it whilst it was out of the car as it’s made of steel. Still considering options, might put a complete axle in it.

Can the odometer accuracy be adjusted in a similar fashion?

Cheers

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/M90_g..._17476331.aspx
Old 10-25-2019, 01:06 AM   #33
petiww
Board Member

I was the one with the conversion kit! Still did not really have time to design the mph gauge face, but as soon as ****ty weather arrives i definitely start it!

Also i did go driveshaft sensor for my buddy's car. It has a 3,91 diff and has a 3 tooth tone ring, so its reading a bit less than necessary, but worked well for him, and LH is happy without codes.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...&postcount=216
Old 10-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #34
bobxyz
Board Member

The odometer can't be adjusted in a similar fashion. It relies on an exact count of pulses per mile from the differential sensor.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:07 AM   #35
bugjam1999
Board Member

Ah, fair enough.

Well, we’re going with the ‘swap the whole axle’ approach as one came up locallyish and cheapish. Since the axle needs new bushes and brakes, refurbishing the ‘new’ ones and installing it seemed like the best approach this time.

Thanks for the advice,

Cheers
Old 10-27-2019, 05:34 PM   #36
Forg
Board Member

Looks like you're sorted … but had I seen the more recent posts last week, I'd have pointed to something like this:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/corrector-...odule/p/AA0376

… which was only available in kit form when I bought one for my car, but which allowed me to convert the Toyota-branded pulses from the 90's Sprinter sensor on the 80's Supra 'box into Volvo branded pulses for the '87 cluster I fitted into the '81 dash (and which isn't actually a perfect fit electrically - despite all looms just plugging in, something is wrong with the ACC setting but ONLY with the '87 cluster fitted - but I don't care as I don't sit there listening to music with the car off).

Something like that might be helpful if there's another thread-dig by someone else.

When I'm cruisin' in overdrive ...
Don't have to listen to no run-of-the-mill talk jive.

Shatner: The Colonel is breakdancing ... gimme a break!!
Rollins: Credit terms raised!
Shatner: I can't get behind any of that!
Shatner: I can't get behind so-called singers that can't carry a tune, get paid for talking, how easy is that? Well, maybe I could get behind that ...
Rollins: Well, I can't!!
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #37
bugjam1999
Board Member

Ok, moving on with this - have contacted petiww to see about one of his conversion plates.

Am I correct in thinking the speedo will read correctly for all speeds, once calibrated?

The pictures from earlier in the thread would be useful... does anyone have a copy?

Cheers
Old 03-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #38
cj.surr
Board Member

I didn't want to wait for a potentiometer to come in so I just tried a few different resistors. I found that about 1.5 ohm of added resistance would decrease the speedo reading about 5%. My original resistor in a '90 240 wagon measured 51.6 ohm. The speedo was reading 5% fast initiallly, even though the odometer was spot on, so it was nice to get it calibrated.