• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My $300 760

So are your ball sockets bad?
And upper and lower are the same part,
Do you have the gaskets that cusion them?
I'm in the same boat with rsi and their crap
I paid in October and got 80 percent of my order by now

That's insane. I don't understand how they stay open.

I've got a selection of them...I'm sure I could make some work, but I'd rather have the good stuff in there. I'll probably put in the best used ones I can find until I can get ahold of the bronze ones.

Motor is coming together. Really the only major thing left to do is swap the T cam over from the old motor. Had to perform emergency surgery on the distributor...the connector was broken off, but I think I've "fixed" it well enough so that it'll work til I can track down a good one.

I've got one more small parts order to place, and I should be good to go. Engine mounts will be here early next week, so the motor will go in then. Had to go with hydraulic mounts since I can't seem to find a reasonably priced set of the early 7 series mounts. Oh well.

15G is in the conical housing, after a little persuasion, water pump is on (that was fun. Bosch quality is slipping. Holes on the casting were a bit off.)

Rear main is done...had to scavenge the front seal carrier from the old motor. I'll put those seals in tomorrow and that'll be that. Hope to have the motor in by the end of next week, then use next weekend to get it running. I'm dreading putting the pedal cluster in. It was such a pain to take out.

ynmWBUr.jpg

Looks great! Also digging the interior! Totally feel like you should be smoking a bone and popp'n fawhtys in this bitch.

Well looks like I'm SOL on the wagon. Ordered some shifter bushings and such from Volvo of Lisle on their online system...it's been 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything, so I called today. Apparently it's going to be 3-4 more weeks before they ship...stuff has to come from the Motherland.

Le Sigh.

Edit// Apparently the guy on the phone had no idea what was going on. I just got a tracking number.

Last edited:
Got a lil drunk and painted stuff. I've got a feeling that white is a terrible idea for a DD.

ngusjMh.jpg

Provided the last parts order gets here in time, the motor's going in this weekend.

Got a lil drunk and painted stuff. I've got a feeling that white is a terrible idea for a DD.

ngusjMh.jpg

Provided the last parts order gets here in time, the motor's going in this weekend.

You're right. White is a horrible idea for a DD, but it sure looks good right now!

Does that eBay seller have more of those ecodes?

Or...

Do you still have your original headlights? I need a new passenger side one, mine's cracked.

Yeah, just search for Volvo 940 Headlights on ebay, and you should come across the ecodes.

I'd give you mine, but that's the one that was busted. It's got come cracked plastic back in there.

Motor and transmission are in, no pics yet. No, it doesn't run yet.

Motor install took all day Saturday due to mass quantities of Newcastle calling my name. Finally got the motor bolted in place about 8:30pm. Sunday from about 11am-3pm was spent screwing with the pedal cluster.

Took me awhile to make room under there to pull the auto pedal out along with the honkin' factory amp and ECU.

I tried to put the manual pedal set in, but it refused to go in easily. Kept snagging on the steering column and sh*t. Once I finally got it past there, I looked up and realized that the upper bolts where nowhere close. Decided to pull it out and examine the auto pedal a little more closely.

Here's the deal-the pedal cluster I have came out of a 760, but it was an 87 or something. You can see here that the brackets are different. The auto bracket that came out has an angle at the top, where the manual bracket is pretty much straight.

BLSriSf.jpg

Luckily, I was able to remove the auto pedal itself and put the manual pedal in it's place. The auto pedal bracket also already had the correct holes to bolt the clutch pedal through.

On the far left bracket, I took the bracket off the manual cluster and swapped on the bracket that had the ECU holder. Luckily, everything bolted right up and had the correct holes for the third pedal.

77rHUdT.jpg

UcYcnmk.jpg

BbR6Ota.jpg

Also, wife material: Couldn't get my giant hands up in there to fit a bolt and a cotter pin.

CVFeoAM.jpg

It took 5ever to bleed the clutch. After screwing with it for like an hour, I discovered that keeping the fluid level in the brake master resevori above the nipple for the hose to the clutch master isn't enough. I had to fill it to the very, very, very top so the fluid would run down into the clutch master. I finally got it though. May do a little re-bleeding just to make sure I'll have a good pedal.

So, list of what's left:

-Harness √
-Driveshaft
-Radiator
-Intake Pipes
-AC lines and condenser
-Shifter
-Bolt up exhaust
-Heater hoses (it's looped at the core. I hope that means "The heat won't turn off" and not "the heater core is blown")
-Swap on good tires and wheels
-Find a short power steering belt √
-Hang the newly painted fender
-Wire up the Ecodes
-Throw in some fresh gas
-Hope it starts.

Last edited:
That's what I did too. Removed the donor pedal box, compared it to the stock one, and ended up swapping the brake pedal and bolting the clutch pedal and bracket on instead of removing it as well. Mine was an 86 donor to a 92 740.

Yours might be that different since it probably has a tilt wheel right?

Back