• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 780 Bertone dash/stereo wiring

Soundmonster

Hi,
I have looked everywhere and cannot get the info I need to correctly re-wire this 1990 780 I'm restoring. (no greenbook available, wire diagrams I've found aren't even similar for color-code, ...not getting anywhere).

The car had the tape deck/ EQ module, and front and rear amps. All of those have been removed. (original unit was mucked with by P.O. and hardly worked) I have new stereo receiver, and rear deck amp for new unit.

What I have a question about is about the remaining wiring looms which are original to the car. There are only two looms. The rest of the wires are the cigarette lighter and it's lamp, and the antenna cable.

Out of the dash are:
Loom #1: (4-pin male plug)
1. SB
2. BR
3. Y-SB
4. Y-BR

Loom #2: (9-contact) female connector
1. GN-R (two wires)
2. OR (12VDC present)
3. GN-GR
4. Y-W
5. Y-GR
6. BL
7. W
8. GR
9. SB
Lastly: There is also a single (Y-W) wire w/female spade lug that is another mystery.

From the dash I should only have power to the receiver, maybe a line to the antenna switch, and only the two door speakers. The rears were handled by the rear deck amp and the DIN cable for signal.

Looking at the original stereo, the wires/connectors, color-codes don't seem to mate at all.

Can anyone refer me to a good source of info for this ? I want to try and use as much of the original wires and connectors as possible. - Sure could use some expert advice here, Thanks!

-R

I feel your pain. My '88 780 came to me without a stereo, with evidence of the PO having ripped out the original system and installed something very nonstandard, and with connectors under the dash that I can't seem to identify. If anyone has thoughts on this, it would help multiple people!

I was really impressed with the tech support at Chruchfield's. They have schematics, connectors and knowledgeable folks answering the phones.

Thanks guys, ....but,

Crutchfield was helpful, but the diagram my man sent was still way off. Like I said , I have some existing looms (2) hanging out which should be for stereo, security, cig. lighter, etc.. But the ONLY color wire with measurable results was +12VDC from the one OR wire I listed in loom # 2.
I do have the Greenbook for 1990 760T, and you'd think the wiring would be similar at least, but it still does not correspond to the wire color codes I'm seeing in my dash.

Now, I could just wire it in as a new install (new wiring, into spares at fuse-box connectors etc., ). But that leaves me with these unknown looms hanging out in the dash. This would also be associated with the radio noise suppression relay under the hood.

Anyone?

Okay here it is..... :cool:

1990 780 Bertone Stereo Wiring Color Code

9-Contact connector in center dash/ (power sources from fuse #5)

1. green/red : (two wires come off contact) constant 12VDC
2. Orange : switched 12VDC
3. gray : Rt. door speaker +
4. gray/yellow : Rt. door speaker -
5. white : L door speaker +
6. white/yellow : L door speaker -
7. blue : lamp illumination
8. green/gray : power antenna/remote turn on
9. solid black : system ground

Fuse #23 (power to rear deck amp)
1. 12AWG white/gray wire to trunk amp (constant 12VDC)

Hope this helps other 780 owners.
Seemed impossible to get accurate information about this wire color code scheme anywhere. Even fuse label on ashtray stated fuse #23 covered power seats. NOPE. And several circuit descriptions from install sites were completely off as per wire color.
This info is accurate, checked out, and all works as it should.

-Cheers! :cheers:

Ha I googled this and a going through the exact thing right now. I am about 50 percent through figuring this out. I'd like to keep this thread going as we work through this together.

Major thanks to the poster above.

I still can't find the grey/green antenna power wire. I am going crazy…unless the PO removed it. Any idea?

Still trying to figure out cig lighter but that may be moot since my deck has a USB charger in it with the iPhone.

Yup, pulled most of the center console out and I can't locate the power antenna wire.

My neighbor who has 25 years of electrical experience on cars suggests I just do a bypass and power the power antenna with either the Volvo switch (assuming it works) or getting another switch and putting it on the dashboard. I may go down that route.

That being said, this wire SHOULD be there, right? The original stereo would have lifted the antenna upon turning it on, regardless of the switch, right?

Yup, pulled most of the center console out and I can't locate the power antenna wire.

My neighbor who has 25 years of electrical experience on cars suggests I just do a bypass and power the power antenna with either the Volvo switch (assuming it works) or getting another switch and putting it on the dashboard. I may go down that route.

That being said, this wire SHOULD be there, right? The original stereo would have lifted the antenna upon turning it on, regardless of the switch, right?

Negative, That's the idea behind the switch. I can switch on my radio but the up/down switch must be in up position for the antenna to go up.

You need to find a thick red wire and connect it to the blue wire if the head unit is an aftermarket unit. This will bypass the antenna switch.

Negative, That's the idea behind the switch. I can switch on my radio but the up/down switch must be in up position for the antenna to go up.

You need to find a thick red wire and connect it to the blue wire if the head unit is an aftermarket unit. This will bypass the antenna switch.

Awesome man, thanks. I remember my 740 would lift the antenna up upon turning on the original stereo or an aftermarket one, but the 740 did not have an antenna switch either. I put like 3 stereos in the thing.

This make total sense. Seriously, thank you very much. I learned something today!! :)

Last edited:
I have power going to antenna in the trunk. That connection has 3 wires, one power, one ground and the 3rd has to be where it gets the signal to raise or lower. Couldn't I just connect that "signal wire" to the power antenna wire on the back of the new deck?

Despite having power to the antenna, the switch doesn't work. SO I am guessing the switch is bad or the antenna motor is busted. I will keep at it tomorrow.

This switch is 25 years old, so I assume it could be dead.

Hey Deepfried, All the wires you need "should be" in that 9-connector plug. What I would do in your case is look for continuity between the green/ gray wire at the connector and one of the terminals at the antenna switch. If the color code is off, you should be able to find the right wire code by using this method. Don't forget you are activating a relay at the antenna motor. Some trial and error may be necessary to find your particular color code if it's not green/ gray like it should be.

Also, you will have to do a split to activate your remote turn-on for the antenna and your second amplifier. Split from your receivers remote turn-on wire.

Yes, you should have power to your antenna motor as constant 12VDC (Green/Red pair off connector). The antenna switch sends voltage from your stereos' remote turn-on to antenna relay. Switch on/off, antenna up/down. Should be able to verify this also with either a second bike battery, or long continuity check. Rarely does that switch go bad. Should be able to test easily. Do some more checking, you sound like you're almost there.

Last edited:
Soundmonster said:
Out of the dash are:
Loom #1: (4-pin male plug)
1. SB
2. BR
3. Y-SB
4. Y-BR

Did you ever find out what these were?

Soundmonster said:
Lastly: There is also a single (Y-W) wire w/female spade lug that is another mystery.

What about this Yellow/White one?

I think there's another spade lug too, brown in color. Oh, and a two-pin connector with orange and black wires as well? (I'm not near the car, otherwise I'd take a picture). I found these pictures online, though.

13390d1469801361-1989-780-bertone-turbo-parting-out-0729161000a.jpg

13391d1469801361-1989-780-bertone-turbo-parting-out-0729161000b.jpg

Back