• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help, my 242 GT wont start

Zore

Hi all and thanks in advance.

Ok here is the story. I went to the store and my car would not start. As i drive my car every day and i keep it fairly well maintained, i am a little suprised.

My car: An 80 242 gt with a b21f engine.

My symptoms: (no problems at all for the last 12 months).The car turns over but the engine does not start.

My cars history: 300,000 km, oil changed every 6 months, had the in-tank fuel pump changed about 1 year ago, ignition system looked after myself.

My plan for tommorow: check spark and check fuel pressure.

My question: what possible causes should i look for on a car that suddenly stops working like this other than whats listed above. I know theres alot of possibliities, just looking for a starting point as i have limited experience when it comes to the fuel system.

Number one cause of no-start in K-Jet Volvo's is the fuse panel. Small amounts of corrosion builds up between fuses and holders, usually rotating the fuses in their holders lets them make contact. Next thing to check is your fuel pump relay. See if it clicks when you try to start the car, also see if it shows heat damage (brown, melted case). If both of these items check out make sure the airflow sensor plate is not sticking from oil deposits. Good luck, Dan242tic

PS. Fuses 5 and 7 are the fuel-pump fuses

Whats a k-jet(sorry)? I guess i should mention that my car is fuel injected.

K-Jet is the name for the fuel injection your car came from the factory with, also referred to as CIS or constant injection system. Dan242tic

Where are you located? In Australia or Canada?

Check for spark first... Its always the easiest to diagnose.

Jordan

I am located in victoria B.C. Canada, oh ok kjet = cis i get it.

that last post was mine. Just another question is the fuel pump relay silver or black.

Two most common reasons why your car won't start:

1) Main Fuel pump fuse/fuse panel (fuse number 7 ?)- regardless of what the fuse looks like change it, take an emery cloth or something and clean up the two terminals install new fuse - see if it starts.

2) Timing belt - even if the belt is intact is can have worn teeth and have slipped on the gear. Need to replace the belt.

Checking for spark etc are good ways to determine if you need to go to step two - step one should be done regardless - always carry some extra 10amp fuses for just that reason - have had the fuse die on me a number of times in the last 10 or so years.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Jerome

Dan242tic said:
K-Jet is the name for the fuel injection your car came from the factory with, also referred to as CIS or constant injection system. Dan242tic

That is wrong. CIS is the "Constant Idle Speed" system. You meant to say K-jet is a CI fuel system, "continuous injection." That's a very common mistake.

towerymt said:
[quote:0be43d556c="Dan242tic"]K-Jet is the name for the fuel injection your car came from the factory with, also referred to as CIS or constant injection system. Dan242tic

That is wrong. CIS is the "Constant Idle Speed" system. You meant to say K-jet is a CI fuel system, "continuous injection." That's a very common mistake.[/quote:0be43d556c]

Not really a mistake, it can be referred to as either. Great resource for it here: http://www.users.bigpond.com/INTERJECT/KJETRON.HTM

Really good reading

I admit I meant to say continuous not constant. My Bosch FI and Engine Mgmt book refers to it as Continuous Injection System (CIS). Continuous and constant can be synonyms right? Dan242tic

ZORE figure it out yet?

Hey guys no i havent figured it out. Bettween work and school im only getting about a few hours to diagnose it.

OK heres what ive done.

1. checked spark , spark seems ok all 4 sparking

2. checked timing belt. ok.

3. checked the fuses ( 5 and 7) replaced them and checked for conitnuity across fueses using a meter

next
1. put fresh gas( i really hope its not just a bad fuel gauge)
2. check the pump relay.
3. open up the fuel line, turn it over and see if i have fuel

Question: where is the best spot to check for the fuel. Should i look before the filter under the hood or at the injectors( cold start injector?) any input would be helpfull. Also what color is the fuel pump relay? i got a choice of black or silver.

Thanks for the support guys/gals!

Got it figured out, it was

the pump relay.

How i figured it out.

1. checked spark plus timing - all check ok

2. checked

current to fuel pump, directly on the pump. NO CURRENT

3. checked main relay for current, current

present

4. went out got a fuel pump relay pluged her in and PRESTO car started.

LADY GRAY is now

back in full effect.

Thanks for the support

Back