• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

removing a KJet head

Not a wino

hey all, search ain't working :-(

can someone list me the steps on what to remove in what order in order to remove the head from a k-jet powered car? (head gaskets a goner)

cheers

Drain coolant.
Exhaust manifold/brackets/heat shield.
TDC #1.
Acc belts + timing belt.
Headbolts. Figure-eight from outside.
Mallet.
Machine shop.
$$$
Install.

& try "site:turbobricks.com insert query here"

Not to the machine shop but you can pull it that way.
Oh, leave the injectors connected to the dizzy but remove them from the head.

Absolute quickest way is
set it to TDC,
Unloop the timing belt from the tensioner and the cam pulley
Pull the cam cover off
Unbolt the 3 bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the downpipe
Start to undo the head bolts half a turn at a time working from far left (top bolt, bottom bolt) then far right (top,bottom) mid left, mid right center etc etc. until they're loose enough to get out by hand.
Pull the injectors out of the head
undo any vac line that loops through the intake manifold then PLUG THEN BACK IN WHERE YOU FOUND THEM RIGHT AWAY. Its sooooo easy to muddle up the order of that stuff
Pull the K-jet "boot" off the air flapper
undo the cold start injector fuel coupling
Undo the heater hose from the head as well as the radiator hose. You may as well drain all the coolant as well if its contaminated. Lower rad hose works well for this.
The head should be able to be pulled upwards, it may be a little stuck so it can need a wiggle or two to get free. With both manifolds attached it'll be fawking heavy so you might need a mate to help.
Scrape all the gasket crap off the block with a plastic scraper whilst running a vacuum cleaner over the area.
Do the same for the head. Check it for straightness down the length and diagonally with a ruler. If its straight you can chuck it right back on again.
Installation is reverse of removal except the order of the bolt tightening is reversed.

Total time for completion, 2-4 hours.

edit: Im currently on semester break, so if you need advice with anything shoot me a pm and i'll send you my number.

Last edited:
Back