• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wasted Spark for dumbies

orrob

Thinking about going ahead and adding a wasted spark board while my engine is torn apart on my '93 240. I have seen videos about how to install the wasted spark board. I saw that the bosch 2 x2 coil pack is recommended. I have a couple of questions though:

1. what jy might have a bosch 2 x2 coil pack (if its worth grabbing a jy version)?

2. What's the best way to plug the dizzy hole?

3. does it reuse the same crank sensor (aw70)?

4. Anything else I am missing that install videos don't show?

Thanks

1 where are you? Some Fiat, Alfa and Lancia cars use the Bosch 2x2 coil. Probably unobtanium at the junk yard in the staties, here rare but available. New is 40 euro so it's not something you can save a lot on. On my 240 the old junk yard coil gives a misfire after washing the engine bat, suspect a small crack in the resin of the coil. They do fail.

2. Volvo made a freeze plug for that. 940 used it, forgot the pn.

3. Yes.

4. Dunno which video's you watched.

Follow the instructions on here (a faq somewhere) and you should be fine.

1. 1999-2002 Range Rover and 1999-2004 Land Rover Discovery. They're a v8, so they have two of the Bosch coils. They do exist in junkyards, but they're ultra difficult to get out from between the intake manifold and firewall, but they do exist. Rockauto has the legit Bosch part for $45.

I think you can check out the members site on here user name Duder. He sells the board and setup and should be able to direct you to a place to buy the coil pack.

It took me 10 mins tops for the two coils from a 99 discovery. Charged me 30 bucks for both of them. Ive used both and they both work, in going on 10k miles on one of them. Pulled my ignition module off a junked miata too

Its easy to rip things apart when you dont care about it

I think you can check out the members site on here user name Duder. He sells the board and setup and should be able to direct you to a place to buy the coil pack.

Thanks for the plug. I took over sales of the wasted spark board from Karl Buchka a few years ago since he wasn't able to continue selling them but there was still a demand.

I actually do sell the Bosch Motorsport 2x2 coil pack through my site as well. It's not some super rare or specialized part but it works really well with LH2.4 + WS and I figured people may appreciate being able to buy the major components in one place. I also sell a clone of the power stage / ignition module from the 960, which has 3 spark outputs, of which 2 can be used for wasted spark on the redblock.

There was some interest in a complete kit including finished wiring with connectors, a coil bracket, and so on. The sticking point is modification of the EZK, which I'm not set up to handle now. So the end customer would still need to crack open their EZK, solder the board in place, and then install everything.

I have been wanting to do a wasted spark conversion. However I'm not running 2.4. Will this work on 2.2? or does it need a CPS?? have been searching the forums but I haven't seen this question covered.
Thanks.

Thanks for the plug. I took over sales of the wasted spark board from Karl Buchka a few years ago since he wasn't able to continue selling them but there was still a demand.

I actually do sell the Bosch Motorsport 2x2 coil pack through my site as well. It's not some super rare or specialized part but it works really well with LH2.4 + WS and I figured people may appreciate being able to buy the major components in one place. I also sell a clone of the power stage / ignition module from the 960, which has 3 spark outputs, of which 2 can be used for wasted spark on the redblock.

There was some interest in a complete kit including finished wiring with connectors, a coil bracket, and so on. The sticking point is modification of the EZK, which I'm not set up to handle now. So the end customer would still need to crack open their EZK, solder the board in place, and then install everything.

What about the Bosch 0986221048 Ignition Coil ?
Built in igniter and works with volvo wires.

Not sure about the cheapo ones, I got a Delphi equivalent, working great w/MegaSquirt on 20# of boost.

I got a hold of a 4 prong coil with build in igniter as well. Not the same part number but was wondering if it would work. Is the signal the same going to those style coils as it would be going to the igniter separately then to the coil? :wtf:

Back