home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Default No fuel at the rail, both pumps new and working

I'm at the point now that I have spark and injector pulse (only with a y-jumper, I guess my working fuel system relay is dead) but my 740 STILL won't start. After pulling the fuel line at the rail, nothing came out. I blew some air through the line from the fuel filter and the line is clear, air came through and sprayed a small amount of fuel out of the hose.

I know for sure both pumps are running, and they are both new. I just went through a lot of work replacing the in-tank pump and cleaning nasty old rancid gas from the tank, and now it's all back together. I put a couple gallons of fresh 93 in and it still isn't getting fuel at the rail. Do I need more gas? I can't think of any other reason this is happening.

This car is driving me absolutely insane.
bmdubya1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
centason
CNT-FAI

You sure one of the pumps isn't wired backwards?
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history.
Any forums history.
centason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Pretty sure they're correct. I know for sure they are both running.

I have 6 gallons of gas in the car, no reason at all that shouldn't be enough. After pulling the feed line to the rail there is pressure out when I put my finger over it, so I assume the pumps are pumping properly.
I'm ready to burn this piece of crap to the ground, a car has never driven me so insane. It's possessed.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Pulled the line off the tank pump and there is no pressure at all, and it's bone dry. There is no gas coming out of the pump/sending unit. How is this even possible!?!?
Old 05-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
centason
CNT-FAI

Is it wired backwards? One pump running in the opposite direction isnt going to get fuel to the next pump to feed it to the rail. Just check. I've done it before. Had the same issue.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
bmdubya1198
Board Member

I don't think the main pump is wires backwards. The main line going into the fuel rail is pushing out towards the rail, so the main in-line pump is working properly. I'm PRETTY sure the in-tank pump is wired up properly, but (as much as I don't want to) I can pull the pump out tomorrow and double check. I'll probably have to yank it out anyway just because any other issue here is related to that fuel sender unit.

I put the red wire on positive and the black on negative (pretty sure those are the colors).

Also, what can be done about this hose so I still have a fuel level reading? It seems Volvo doesn't sell it anymore, and the piece of fuel hose I installed in place of it (between the main pump and the hard line) won't allow the canister that sends the fuel level reading to move.
My gas gauge doesn't even move now... it used to show a reading. Maybe those wires (which I soldered back on) are backwards, but I don't really think it matters which terminal those wires go on. But I'm pretty sure it has to do with the "float" unable to move.

Number 7 in this diagram: http://volvopartslisle.com/assembly/473793/Tank-Sender
Picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/J6l1Ab8Z4prf26gq1

Last edited by bmdubya1198; 05-28-2018 at 07:17 PM..
Old 05-28-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Test light or DVOM the wires going to the pump to be sure they are correct. I'm going to agree, it sounds like the pump is wired backwards.

The fuel hose is available from many aftermarket manufacturers. Just google the Volvo part number.

Instagram: @itstotesdenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #8
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Well, the lack of that accordion part is what I'm worried about. The float isn't able to move with the standard hose because of where the pump is attached to the housing.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #9
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdubya1198 View Post
Well, the lack of that accordion part is what I'm worried about. The float isn't able to move with the standard hose because of where the pump is attached to the housing.
I understand that. The "bellowed" hose is still available from aftermarket suppliers.

http://bfy.tw/ILUr
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
hiperfauto
Board Member

Volvo updated the accordion hose to straight hose but you have to buy a piece that's longer than you need. If you have to have the accordion hose, I have this one made by MTC for a 740 part #3514360.

hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Good to know. I couldn’t find it before.

I pulled fuse 11 to see if the main pump could pull in some fuel (in case the tank pump is wired wrong), and I still got nothing. I just pinched the relay and ran it a couple times for about 4-5 seconds each. I’m assuming the wiring is fine, because the main pump should have enough power to get fuel to the rail without assistance from the tank pump.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:36 AM   #12
Janspeed
Board Member

Quote:
Pulled the line off the tank pump and there is no pressure at all, and it's bone dry. There is no gas coming out of the pump/sending unit. How is this even possible!?!?
if there is a leak in the hose between the intank pump and the outlet connection that leak will act as a short circuit. The pump will run but fuel will not be pushed into the fuel line but it will just be dumped back into the tank. There will be no pressure on the fuel line between tank and filter/pressurepump.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #13
centason
CNT-FAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janspeed View Post
if there is a leak in the hose between the intank pump and the outlet connection that leak will act as a short circuit. The pump will run but fuel will not be pushed into the fuel line but it will just be dumped back into the tank. There will be no pressure on the fuel line between tank and filter/pressurepump.
Yep. Needs to pull the pump to check the wiring just in case. I replaced that hose while I was in there. Had to take it back out because I was noob and wired it backwards.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
Dirty Rick
Board Member

If you remove the line between the main pump and the tank pump and test, and no fuel comes out of the line when the tank pump runs.

The tank pump is running backwards, or the fuel line is not connected to the pump, or there is no fuel getting to the tank pump.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #15
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos

Quote:
I'm ready to burn this piece of crap to the ground, a car has never driven me so insane. It's possessed.
Everyone who has ever owned or worked on a 7 series has said this before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
If you remove the line between the main pump and the tank pump and test, and no fuel comes out of the line when the tank pump runs.

The tank pump is running backwards, or the fuel line is not connected to the pump, or there is no fuel getting to the tank pump.
This sounds like the easiest test to do. Disconnect the line underneath the car, then jump 12v to the tank pump and see what happens.
93' 245 m47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata
95' Camry auto
Past:
80' 242gt m46
88' 245 m47
92' 940 turbo AW17

If you stop and think about it, it’s literally not worth your time to get on TBOT every day and argue about politics.
PromiseRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseRing View Post
Everyone who has ever owned or worked on a 7 series has said this before.
I'm not surprised!

I pulled the hose from the pump itself and ran it, nothing came out. I was pretty sure that would be the case anyway, otherwise I probably wouldn't have done it that way to avoid the potential mess.
I'll be pulling the pump today and inspecting. Updates to come...
Old 05-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #17
PromiseRing

Wait a second, reverse polarity and try again. That works how i think it does, correct? Reversing polarity will spin the pump opposite direction?
Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Apparently that's how it works, never really thought about it until this thread. Apparently it's pretty common for cars to have a black positive and red negative... freaking Volvo...
Old 05-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #19
Janspeed
Board Member

Quote:
Wait a second, reverse polarity and try again. That works how i think it does, correct? Reversing polarity will spin the pump opposite direction?
with DC on a DC pump, yes.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #20
VB242
Mojo Stealer

Both the airtex pumps I got from the parts store ran in reverse until I reversed the leads.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #21
PromiseRing

Quote:
Apparently that's how it works, never really thought about it until this thread. Apparently it's pretty common for cars to have a black positive and red negative... freaking Volvo...
Nah that’s not normal. I’ve seen it happen to people on aftermarket sending units (on a 240 at least), but my chinabay sending unit was perfectly fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janspeed View Post
with DC on a DC pump, yes.
Cool thanks that’s what i thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Both the airtex pumps I got from the parts store ran in reverse until I reversed the leads.
There’s very very small print on the airtex pumps for + and - I had to look close to see them. I wouldn’t think your pump itself was wired wrong internally, it was probably the sending unit. Maybe not but just seems odd to me. Both of my airtex pumps work as intended when wired 12v to + and ground to -
Old 05-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #22
bmdubya1198
Board Member

I went ahead and returned the pump, because after reversing polarity it still wouldn't pump any gas. I have no idea why.
I tested for any leaks along the pump outlet line, and it's sealed. Also, when I pulled the pump, the sock was wet, so it was submerged in fuel. No reason fuel wouldn't be getting out of the sending unit.

Apparently it's happened before where the fuel pump runs but doesn't pull any fuel.

What I ended up doing is attaching a long enough hose so it is submerged in the fuel, and hopefully the in-line main pump will be able to pull fuel up to the rail. When I ran it, I didn't get any fuel at the rail, but the tone of the pump changed, so maybe there was some fuel that made it through.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #23
PromiseRing

How long did you try with the line submersed? You might have needed to keep it running to purge the line.

Did you bench test the pump? Would’ve been a good idea..
Old 05-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #24
bmdubya1198
Board Member

Quote:
How long did you try with the line submersed? You might have needed to keep it running to purge the line.

Did you bench test the pump? Would’ve been a good idea..
I couldn't find a way to bench test it without either starting a fire or making a huge mess. I'd rather invest in a good pump anyway, like a Walbro 255 or Bosch 044.

I had the same thought, I'll have to try it more. The lines are totally dry, so I'm sure it'll take a few seconds. I ran it for about 4-5 seconds, two or three times.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #25
PromiseRing

Quote:
I couldn't find a way to bench test it without either starting a fire or making a huge mess. I'd rather invest in a good pump anyway, like a Walbro 255 or Bosch 044.

I had the same thought, I'll have to try it more. The lines are totally dry, so I'm sure it'll take a few seconds. I ran it for about 4-5 seconds, two or three times.
Hm that should’ve been enough. You won’t cause a fire I don’t think. I mean, the pump runs constantly when in the car.