• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230ft loss of power at high load

itayby

Hello,

So, I have this weird engine problem that when the engine is at high load doesnt matter the gear when it reaches about 0.8 bar boost it just shake and cough. I had this problem before and replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and HT leads a few month ago and it solved it, just in case i bought bosch coil, cap, rotor, and ipd ht leads, and i hope once they arrive it will solve it again for more then a few months, what else could it be if it wont help..? fuel pump is good and wideband doesnt show lean mixture...

Another question is about EZK chips, how do the ezk control the ignition at all? I mean isn't it mechanical ignition like when the rotor reach one post on the cap it sends the electricity? what does the ezk does basicly?

final question (i swear) I saw alot of people saying you should put an oil cooler for the aw71 gearbox, there are oil lines that run to the radiator so you need to hack these or what? and what thread size is it?

Thanks alot

What is the spark plug gap? You can't buy new plugs nowadays and expect them to be at the correct gap. Plus plugs wear and the gap gets larger as they wear. So if you started out with too large a plug gap it can cause misfire issues.

The ezk is a fully electronic microprocessor controlled ignition. It only uses the distributor to send the spark to the correct cylinder. Spark advance and retard is all done by the computer.

I would look into adapting the oil cooler parts from a turbo volvo. There are also affordable aftermarket coolers you can add. I don't know the thread but someone else here will. There are adapters that you can get that bolt in and divert the fluid to the extra cooler.

Sorry for not saying before its a 98' volvo 940 with the b230fk (l.h 2.4) model of ezk i dont really know, i know it's the black one not the metal but havent checked if i have the daughter board.
About the spark plug i dont remeber the model but it's a denso with a gap of .7mm i belive ( they had the same gap my old ngk r had )
So if replacing all the things i'm waiting for wont help, replace the plugs.

Last edited:
Maybe try to side gap the plugs? What size turbo? We have had spark blowout but not at the low boost level you are talking about.

i have the original 13c turbo for now (wanting to do acum mod before going 15G).
i checked everything again and it seems one ht lead is abit loose on the plug end and wont 'lock' properly on the plug maybe this could cause it? maybe when it gets hot under load and electrical resistance is higher? just throwing it out there

well replaced the coil distributor and cap plugs hd leads and it seems to run great again!
Thanks!

Back