• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'85 245T: Bringin' K-Jet Back (again)

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
So back in January, I sold my '90 245 after finding a very nice '05 V70 T5. The 90 was a fun enough car, but we had a baby on the way, and I had begun to need to carry clients around for work occasionally, so something newer was needed.

For various reasons, I just never really fell in love with the 90. It was quick, reliable, and looked great...but it just wasn't for me.

A couple years ago, I sold my 83 Turbo wagon, and thought constantly about that car. I really loved it. It had its flaws and was extremely rusty, but it was a fun car that I missed dearly.

A couple weeks ago, a friend mentioned he had seen a turbo 245 parked in a driveway near him. I went to check if out. I had to go back three times before I was able to meet the owner, but I finally did.

Turns out this was his daily, and he had run it out of oil. It needed a motor, and not being mechanically inclined, he couldn't do it himself. I had a nice '88 Corolla wagon that hadn't been driven regularly in some time, so he agreed to buy that for $600+the 245.

We shook hands, signed titles, and parted ways.

So here's the new addition. A 1985 245 Turbo Intercooler with a knocking B21 and an autotragic.

efqfadgl.jpg

After a quick pressure washing

aOYZr1Ml.jpg

h0E7I2nl.jpg

The interior is nasty and mismatched.

CQR9aVMl.jpg

It does move under its own power, so the injection works at least passably well. I think it needs a motor though. Not sure.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FVaWuwu9YTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a B23FT and I want to keep this car kjet and pretty basic. I guess I'll find a B21F or FT head, slap it on the B23, put an M46 and a third pedal in it, fix the interior, and just ride out. Should be a fun little project.

lol... So, it pretty much is the twin of my 245 when I got it from 700volts, but with a transmission that wasn't used in overdrive while towing a '75 245DL without an extra oil cooler hooked up, and a death rattle.

Head may be fine. Pulled one off an '83 that had a death rattle and found no damage on the #1 combustion chamber (the one that had the loose piston).

B cam works pretty well in the B23FT, if you want to go away from the T cam and don't want to bother with importing an A cam.

Interior-wise, I found a halfway decent tan leather interior and actually swapped to that in my wagon. Doesn't seem to get as hot inside as it did with the black interior.

-J

Yeah, I've had good results with T cams in the past. Plus I recently sold my shim kit because "I don't need this without a running 240."

I bet the head is fine, but other projects consumed the schedule today.

B23FT actually responds nicely to the B cam. Guess the extra displacement and higher compression helps. My previous black '82 242Ti (and the replacement silver '85 245Ti) had a B23FT with a B cam installed.

-J

Back