• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Widest tires recommended for daily 600hp

T3hw1nn3r

I'm putting a 5.3 turbo in with a ford 8.8 rear in my 240. I would imagine a tire something bigger then 255 for the rear but what is considered a good size for the front? Car will mostly be for daily highway driving.

Just trying to see what a good recommendation would be as this is the first 600hp daily I'm building, car will have power steering but trying to see what wouldn't overwork the factory rack and pinion. And a grinder is not out of the question!

Last edited:
I've fitted up a 275/35/18 out back and 225/40/18 up front. The fronts are a wee bit shorter than the rears but looks perfect. a 235/40/18 becomes to big. While your doing the 8.8 upgrade, look into suspension geometry if you have lowered your car and correct that. Doing so you won't need as much rear tire anymore

16x8 with a 225 tire is about as big as you can go in the front without pulling fenders or things rubbing.

The backs can go wider

I've fitted up a 275/35/18 out back and 225/40/18 up front. The fronts are a wee bit shorter than the rears but looks perfect. a 235/40/18 becomes to big. While your doing the 8.8 upgrade, look into suspension geometry if you have lowered your car and correct that. Doing so you won't need as much rear tire anymore

This. I have 245's on the back right now and power to trap 125 in the 1/4, unless I drop it off the transbrakre I can floor it and it will always hook. Same combo as you, 5.3 turbo with a 8.8 in the back, 4l80e trans. With slick it's even crazier, not all car hook up that good with full slick.

I won't run anything narrower than a 245 and I don't have high hp in anything. You can do 245's all around with out too much trouble (rolling fender lips) and no rubbing. It really depends on a lot of factors. Ride height, wheel size, offset. actual tire size and even alignment.

I run 245/40-18's all around on this with no rubbing:

922077_526405487406078_1766370152_o_zps35c6c30d.jpg

Tire section width is only half the equation IMO. Other half is the actual wheel width.

I had 9" wide front tires with 235's (bit of stretch but not crazy) and then 8" wide front wheels with 225's and my care drove infinitely better with the 8" wide, this is for highway driving. Way less wandering and hunting over uneven surfaces.

The trouble is the offset you need with wide rims and what it does to the scrub radius (at least, that used to be the case, maybe there are fancy suspension doodads available to help with this now, I'm out of the loop).

For highway driving I would recommend 8" wide, et15, 225-245 depending on the type of rubber.

I had an 8.8 and ran 10.5" wide rear wheels. 285's ET0 or ET+5 with fender surgery is the way to go.
IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

P4080050-1.jpg

That said I am old and out of the loop now, so YMMV.

Back