• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

EGT's on road race 245 turbo

RoadRacer4Life

Owner: DeathWagon
300+ Club
Anyone have any experience on EGT's on a road race b230 with a turbo on it? I got an EGT probe and plan on doing some dyno tuning soon and I was wondering if any of you guys have used an EGT gauge and what your readings were.

Thanks

-Sam

giphy.gif

I doubt you'll find much information on EGTs. Wideband oxygen sensors have pretty much replaced the need for a EGT sensor.

If leaded race gas is used, WBO2 can be fouled easily, so EGT can work where wideband won't.
Some Mustang turbo v8's tune with EGT on carb/ turbo systems.
I guess EGT is complementary to WBO2 and confirms dyno curve for leaning for max power.
I often wondered how ambient temp/ humidity might affect EGT. That thought occurred to me during one of those Montgomery 100+ degree dyno sessions, lol.

B204FT/GT used an EGT-sensor from the factory. It gives input to a separate electronic boostcontroler. this pulls boost whenever things go wrong or error-codes are thrown.
no info on temps though.

I doubt you'll find much information on EGTs. Wideband oxygen sensors have pretty much replaced the need for a EGT sensor.

This is far, far from the truth. Two entriely different measurements representing two entirely different conditions.

This is far, far from the truth. Two entriely different measurements representing two entirely different conditions.

Nick what are your thoughts.. This is on my chump car b230f+t with t3 .63ar 60 trim turbo and stage3 cam.. I plan on putting the car on APR's dynopack dyno and load it up for a long long pull to simulate conditions I would expect during an endurance race.. I know on rotary's 1650 is optimum but I know in piston cars its much lower.. Do you have any recommendations? I am trying to find the ideal ignition timing.. Not going too aggressive but going to retarded will cause high egt's and I want to have an idea where I should be..

Thanks again man

-Sam

Sam, I've been thinking about this since you posted the question. I'll get back at you this evening when I have a little more time to sit down and think about it.

Sam, I have an EGT set-up but have not done any racing yet. It is not uncommon to get temps in the 1400s or 1500s under boost, so I wouldn't say that they would be much lower. But I have never done a careful study of the temps during various operating conditions.

I read about 500-580?C in cruise (Gasoline and E85, λ=1) and about 1000?C after a minute of WOT on Gasoline (λ about 0,82) and 820-860?C on E85 (λ about 0,9).
Less advance makes ist hotter, more colder, 1? angle changes have visible effect. Richer/leander mixture has less effect than ignition advance.
While intense knocking, EGT falls about 100?C. (Do not try!)

We used EGT for timing tuning in the turbo Dodge crap we raced before widebands were readily available. This was only for endurance, no real power tuning involved, and really focused on keeping the turbo alive and the head gasket intact. This was a real problem on the fed turbo Dodge.

We used EGT for timing tuning in the turbo Dodge crap we raced before widebands were readily available. This was only for endurance, no real power tuning involved, and really focused on keeping the turbo alive and the head gasket intact. This was a real problem on the fed turbo Dodge.

What kind of max temps did you see?

I read about 500-580?C in cruise (Gasoline and E85, λ=1) and about 1000?C after a minute of WOT on Gasoline (λ about 0,82) and 820-860?C on E85 (λ about 0,9).
Less advance makes ist hotter, more colder, 1? angle changes have visible effect. Richer/leander mixture has less effect than ignition advance.
While intense knocking, EGT falls about 100?C. (Do not try!)

This is a good ballpark. Where are you measuring EGT?

I have a VDO EGT gauge in my '85 245. B23FT block, 90+ manifold, hybrid T3 watercooled turbo and full 3" exhaust from turbo to tailpipe. The sensor is in the downpipe, just after the wastegate housing.

During low/no boost crusing, EGT is ~ 1050F. Idle temps vary, depending on recent boost sessions and ambient temp. I've seen as low as 850F and as high as 1150F.

The highest EGT I've ever seen on the car was during a blast uphill under full boost - got up to 1450F.

Car is not a rally car; just an occasional daily driver.

I was under the impression that EGT probes should go before the turbine as there is a lot of temperature drop through it.

Back